[GC09] Gran Turismo 5 details arrive

Well if that's true I would assume that they couldn't get permission off some car manufactures?

They said this was a problem a while ago, and trying to put 1k cars into a game and getting permission to wreck them to hell and back probably wasnt easy.

How damage will work? Can you turn off damage?

I really don't want to fix my car everytime I damage it.

The damage will be "lite", it's not going to be burnout style damage or you'd wreck out of races constantly (well I guess you do lose doors :p). The damage will probably affect your cars driving abilities more than it will your ability to actually keep going (you'll just drive really slow/pull to one side/etc).

You ain't going to be totalling cars then having the magical fairy lift your car from the road side and respawn it :p

And anyway, the aim is to win races not play destruction derby. My worry is on the cars without damage will they still compensate for engine damage/wear and tear on the car, but just not show it physically? We can't have bumper cars again, every car needs to at least take a penalty for hitting things. If that's the case I guess it's the trade off for getting 1000 cars...

Going to be a long one month wait till TGS for this to all be clarified...

This is a cool collision :p

2el7bzq.jpg

Edited by Audioboxer

Its the only thing GT is feature missing, is full damage! I won't be pre-ordering this and will be waiting for a price drop now. Full damage for me was key....

Edit: to add, I don't want damage for "destruction derby" its more for online races where it would stop idiots bashing you of course. Hitting walls in inevitable too and should damage the car, it affects realism.

With the gif quality, that looks pretty ****ing real...wow.

Looks like a shiny console game in low dithered resolution.

Really is a shame to not have damage on all cars, yes they may have a massive amount of cars but why not scale back a bit and add damage on every single one ... I hate such inconsistency.

What sort of retards work in GAME?

153llcj.jpg

Forget the staff, how can a manager even let something like that fly? People on gaming forums in rehab more knowledgeable than GAME staff confirmed.

Nice HD video of gameplay

http://multiplayer.it/video/gran-turismo-5...mescom-2009.hi/

2mhas78.png

2nb64js.png

Looks like they've improved a lot of the smaller things as well

Some things I noticed with the IGN HD vids about the track:

gt4.jpg

Trees are looking improved, with actual branches instead of the 2D variety.

gt5.jpg

The walls look like they're bump-mapped, though I can't really tell 100%.

gt1.jpggt2.jpggt3.jpg

The buildings actually have the interiors modeled. The ceiling lights are not 2D textures; watch the vid and you'll see the lights move independently of the building.

gt6.jpg

The textures have dramatically improved; you can see a map on this small sign very clearly, whereas in Gran Turismo 4 even the Times Square signs were blurred to hell.

What sort of retards work in GAME?

153llcj.jpg

Forget the staff, how can a manager even let something like that fly? People on gaming forums in rehab more knowledgeable than GAME staff confirmed.

WOW :D

WOW :D

The game is most definitely not coming out on September the 25th.

TGS is the 24th, so now the GT fanatics are spinning hearsay that Sony will do a GT5 blowout at TGS, then say "on sale tomorrow!". This isn't Apple, while the game has a big following there's no way retailers could be kept quiet and Sony will still want to market the game regardless of how well it's historically sold.

Expect a release date at TGS, TGS allows Kaz to do a completely Japanese presentation with no translator needed, and obviously PD are Japanese. It's the ideal time for them to talk about the game, but the majority of the audience are European car fans which is why we're extremely disappointed there is not more info at Gamescom.

From hands on at Gamescom

Originally Posted by Xater:

I wasn't able to go full speed after a few crashes. Only up to fourth gear was possible.

As long as EVERY car is affected by degrading performance from crashes I'll be able to overlook the lack of cosmetic damage on some cars in favour of 1000 sexy cars. However if we still have indestructible tanks which = bumper cars I won't be happy. People need to have a reason to not want to smash into you on online mode aside from time penalties.

It'll be fun smashing up the rally cars/nascar cars, they're kind of built for damage, it is quite true a supercar/street car or everyday car like a Golf isn't really made for being smashed to pieces. Still disappointing it's not on all, but as long as the above happens for every car, I'll focus more on actually hearing more about the rest of the features of GT5 than obsessing over the cosmetic damage.

It's a bit of a let down only the race cars* will have damage, my main issue with it is the Forza 3 fans will never let it go and will constantly point out you can damage all the cars in Forza 3 while you can't in GT5 (and it will get tiresome quickly). However, as Audioboxer has said, not going to dwell on this disappointment and gonna wait to see what else is on offer. I'm still buying GT5 when it comes out (and Forza 3 too) as I was sold on GT5 soon as it was announced the Top Gear Test Track was included, everything else is a bonus! :laugh:

* = It hasn't been said which cars, but it seems the general consensus is it'll probably just be the NASCAR and WRC cars (which does fit in with the long standing rumor that damage would be restricted to those types of cars, perhaps also the JTC cars will feature damage as well, only time will tell I guess...)

EDIT: Hopefully the Suzuki Liana and/or Chevrolet Lacetti will be in the game in some shape or form too, that would be great! :)

Curious as to why you reckon damage will stop people smashing into others deliberately? When I played TRD3 with full damage on, there were many idiots who thought it was fun to just cause crashes endlessly (and this is where a high speed crash would total the car). I don't see why GT5 would be any different.

Enjoyed GT2 loads and have had some good fun with Prologue, so I'm looking forward to this regardless of damage.

Take it from someone who used to work in GAME... it's generally upper management that supply the dates. Store managers just who put up silly posters with dates like this. Also, it kind of varies store by store. For example, there's two stores fairly close to each other in our town. The one I used to work in are full to the brim with guys who are proper gamers (including the manager), the hardcore like us, who know when ****'s gonna come out. Then there's the other store... where even the manager struggled to play a DVD in the 360... ._.'

Sounds like whatever store that is, the manager is an idiot :p

Take it from someone who used to work in GAME... it's generally upper management that supply the dates. Store managers just who put up silly posters with dates like this. Also, it kind of varies store by store. For example, there's two stores fairly close to each other in our town. The one I used to work in are full to the brim with guys who are proper gamers (including the manager), the hardcore like us, who know when ****'s gonna come out. Then there's the other store... where even the manager struggled to play a DVD in the 360... ._.'

Sounds like whatever store that is, the manager is an idiot :p

All the GAME stores I've been to, the staff are idiots :p

All the GAME stores I've been to, the staff are idiots :p

That's really unfortunate :p It looks like the store I worked in was a major exception :p

Then again, I heard from a guy that a lot of the managers prefer retail experience rather then game knowledge, which says it all really. I mean, it's really not that hard to train someone to work in a GAME store, trust me, I'd know. It took me all of a month to get the general gist of things, and the rest is stuff you can only get from working in GAME anyway (i.e. how to handle pre-owned software/hardware, etc, not stuff you'd find out by working in Topshop). Game knowledge (and enthusiasm) is definitely not something you'd be able to just teach on the job. You either have the enthusiasm to learn, or you don't.

After a few solid shunts our car was struggling to get over 140kph, so we'd clearly caused technical damage too. A Sony rep also told us that crashing too much could result in terminal damage ending our race early, which is great because that'll stop those cheating twits from bouncing off walls to get faster lap times.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=221677

Good, anything that puts an end to people using bumper cars to cheat lap times/win races. Although you won't get rid of idiots grieving online, the serious competitors shouldn't be able to use such methods to help them win.

Have to agree with you audioboxer :)

Talking bout serious competitors I am looking forward to the racing teams and private rooms. I used play Live 4 Speed and was part of a team and admin'ed some league races. Was really fun and did help the enjoyment of the game, hope some serious people out there organise stuff like that for GT5...in fact thoughts like that want me to pre-order again :D :rofl:

"Prius, Insight"

Is that a joke?

Who in their right mind would want to "race" those cars???

I thought GT was about high performance racing.

It's funny how all the cars dont have damage and if it's because they could not get permission then that looks bad on them when Forza was able to... When I get my playstation I will most likely pick this up, when ever it comes out...

"Prius, Insight"

Is that a joke?

Who in their right mind would want to "race" those cars???

I thought GT was about high performance racing.

GT has always been about being a car museum for automotive fans, not high performance racing. There's been lower class cars in GT since the beginning, a lot of people like that as it gives them a chance to race around with the car they own in real life. Hardly anyone playing GT owns a Dodge Viper, a prius for how crappy a car it is, probably a fair few people owning that that buy GT5.

It's a casual racing sim, made to try and appeal to as many people as possible, and it's worked seeing as it's one of the best selling games ever.

The game isn't GT without a large selection of cars from various groupings, which is obviously where PD still put their focus seeing as they've chose quantity of cars over being able to do cosmetic damage for them all. 1000 cars if true is a minefield to getting damage on every single one, no other game has ever shipped with that quantity of cars. It doesn't remove the disappointment from not seeing damage on them all, but it's due to the priority PD have.