32" HDTV

I recently purchased a Samsung 32" 1080p LCD (LN32B550) for my college apartment, and it is awesome. Compared to my older 720p Samsung 32", the difference is night-and-day. 1080p is definitely worth the upgrade.
Due to the way Samsung makes tv. i.e. They series 3 and 4 use cheap panels and are 720, while when you hit series 5(what you got) they not only change to a much better panel type, they also switch to full HD on all series 5 and up. Chances are the dramatic icnrease in PQ is not due to full HD on the series 5.

POut the series 5 next to a series 6 or 7 and you'll see even more impressive PQ increase. there's a much bigger PQ leap from series 5 to 6 and 7 than there is between 3/4 and 5, though Series 3 is pretty **** and has a yellow orange tinge on colors you can't get rid of, it makes anything with red it it look crap.

I agree. Comparing a 720p Samsung with a 1080p Samsung is fine and I'm sure the picture is better since the 1080p models are higher end. I actually think it has more to do with the better panels used for the Series 5+ models than it does with the increased resolution. HOWEVER, if you're going to buy a 32" 1080p Vizio instead of a 32" 720p Samsung just because it has a higher resolution, then you're making a big mistake! If you're investing in a 1080p TV, buy a good ones, not some cheap one.

I agree. Comparing a 720p Samsung with a 1080p Samsung is fine and I'm sure the picture is better since the 1080p models are higher end.

Which is what I've been saying

I actually think it has more to do with the better panels used for the Series 5+ models than it does with the increased resolution. HOWEVER, if you're going to buy a 32" 1080p Vizio instead of a 32" 720p Samsung just because it has a higher resolution, then you're making a big mistake! If you're investing in a 1080p TV, buy a good ones, not some cheap one.

but we, and specifically you, weren't talking about Vizio, but LG. which isn't even close to the same thing <-wrong topic. it's late the the topics are identical, I'm going to sleep

but we, and specifically you, weren't talking about Vizio, but LG. which isn't even close to the same thing <-wrong topic. it's late the the topics are identical, I'm going to sleep

Maybe there are some good LG TVs out there, but the ones I've seen have terrible picture quality. If Samsung is out of the question, then get a Sony. Their Bravias have the best picture quality than any other brand of TV.

Ok, so far I think I'm going with this for sure.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...DF&v=glance

Go for it, then. But be forewarned! That TV only has ONE Component port. However, it does have 3 HDMI ports. So figure out what you plan to hook up to the TV and see if the one component port is ok with you.

EDIT: Oh wait. That TV is only 60hz. With a 1080p, you're better off with 120hz because those handle 1080p/24fps content on Blu-ray a lot better. This is due to the fact that a 120hz TV does a 5:5 pulldown with 24fps content rather than a 3:2 one. Anyways, good luck with the research.

Go for it, then. But be forewarned! That TV only has ONE Component port. However, it does have 3 HDMI ports. So figure out what you plan to hook up to the TV and see if the one component port is ok with you.

EDIT: Oh wait. That TV is only 60hz. With a 1080p, you're better off with 120hz because those handle 1080p/24fps content on Blu-ray a lot better. This is due to the fact that a 120hz TV does a 5:5 pulldown with 24fps content rather than a 3:2 one. Anyways, good luck with the research.

I heard 120hz TV's make movies like Transformers look weird, because it makes the CGI scenes look really fake. So I think I'm better off with a 60HZ

I heard 120hz TV's make movies like Transformers look weird, because it makes the CGI scenes look really fake. So I think I'm better off with a 60HZ

That's only when MotionFlow is turned on. Turn that off and everything should look fine.

That's only when MotionFlow is turned on. Turn that off and everything should look fine.

MotionFlow is just another word for saying 120hz....

And YES, 120hz and newer 240hz does make some movies look weird. Most of the time, those feature a better left OFF.

Hi all, I've been wanting to buy a new HDTV for a while now and I think its finally time.

I'm looking to buy a 32" one. I'm also not sure if I want to buy a 720P one or a 1080P.

So can you guys please recommend me some TV's? It needs to be 32"

Also, I'll be using this tv mainly for watching HD movies from my Zune HD that I'm going to buy next month. (Also getting the AV Dock of course) And I'm also thinking about getting a ps3 to play some casual games that aren't going to be released for the pc. (As I'm a PC gamer) And I'm getting HD cable for it.

So yeah, recommend me some TV's please!

Thanks in advance.

~Daniel

Go for a 42 inch like I have.

However, they look giant once you connect it up, then after a few days it seems smaller.

Mine was ?404 including delivery from Argos, maybe they have an Argos in your country.

bestbuy makes one called dynex its a 32 inch lcd set that is quite nice..... ive had one for 8 months now and its grrreat

I saw one at Best Buy for $250. That's so cheap, it's scary, lol. But if the picture quality is good, then hey, the OP should get it. But all I have to say is that all the Dynex I've seen displayed at Best Buy looking horrible...at least, to me they do.

MotionFlow is just another word for saying 120hz....

And YES, 120hz and newer 240hz does make some movies look weird. Most of the time, those feature a better left OFF.

Are you saying 60hz is better? Because with 60hz, a 3:2 pulldown is need for 1080p/24fps movies. So, a lot of people say the "judder" caused by the pulldown makes movies look weird. So, I guess things turn out weird no matter what refresh rate you use. Personally, I like the judder. :D

Honestly any pulldown, whether it is 3:2 or 5:5 or whatever is crap. in order to get the higher framerate they interpolate to subframes frames that aren't there. and the tv pretty much haven't got a clue what these inbetween frames look like, and pretty much always gets it completely wrong giving you a weird and artifacted picture.

basic rules with lcd screens, turn of all image enhyacnements right away, they're not going to give you a better picture, they just make it worse. the contrast enhancers can work okayish, on some media in some situations though, but other than that, just no.

and this is movie enthusiasts will go for 24fps capable tv's (wich technically is all of them, only the programming tells them they need to artificially do at leats 50 or 60 frames so they can sell tv's wich can do lower framerates at a premium. which is silly since it's easier for the tv in any case) In any case turning of the enhancements and just leaving his set at 60 or whatever input he chooses will give him great image quality anyway.