• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinXP vs Win7

TonyLock    26

I am getting a new laptop this weekend and am wondering if it's worth installing Win7. I'm currently running WinXP on my MacBook Air and Apple will give me their new model and was thinking weather it's worth installing the new Windows or should I stick what XP Pro.

I'd like to know from your experience, is Win7 faster or is it more laggy than WinXP running on a 2Ghz processor with 2GB or RAM?

EDIT (6 hours after original post): There are some ignorant people that are not really understanding the reasons for this post. This isn't a "what's good in your opinion" thread, but the questions relates to speed +XP more in Win7, on an Apple MacBook Air.

Stop hijacking the thread and answer the question. If you can't, go away!

Edited by TonyLock

mrp04    375

It runs great on 2GHz with 2GB RAM. XP is becoming obsolete, it is an 8 year old OS. Vista would run great on that system, too.

XP will probably be SLIGHTLY faster but has way less features. The older OSs will almost always run faster than the new ones as they were designed for the hardware available at the time they were released.

Scorbing    517
I am getting a new laptop this weekend and am wondering if it's worth installing Win7. I'm currently running WinXP on my MacBook Air and Apple will give me their new model and was thinking weather it's worth installing the new Windows or should I stick what XP Pro.

I'd like to know from your experience, is Win7 faster or is it more laggy than WinXP running on a 2Ghz processor with 2GB or RAM?

Don't even get there. :no:

Skyfrog    708

I've yet to see a convincing reason why XP is obsolete, other than people just saying it's 8 years old.

(Spork)    87

/grabs popcorn and beer

mrp04    375

It is also holding back progress. Since Microsoft extended support for XP, they have to extend support for all that XP shipped with, including IE6. Thanks to people's refusal to get with the times and upgrade to Vista (and now 7) on hardware that will run it great, Microsoft has extended support for XP and IE6 until 2014. You only need 1GB of RAM to have a good experience with 7, and I would say 1.5 or 2GB for a good experience with Vista (unless you disable the fancy effects).

It also doesn't support DirectX 10 and 11. If you have a system that will run Vista or 7, it is just stupid to use XP instead. And looking at the news today, it looks like Microsoft is going to start dropping XP support from its new products. The newest Windows Movie Maker doesn't run on XP.

TonyLock    26
I've yet to see a convincing reason why XP is obsolete, other than people just saying it's 8 years old.

Me too. I mean, all I am not bothered with new software like Word 2007, or Office 2010. All I need is Word 2003. Realistically, when people make comments like "XP has XPired" I have to laugh at them as not only is their comment unhelpful but also totally retarded. They miss the point of my actual reasons for using a certain OS.

In terms of my post here, all I am really looking to know is whether Win7 will be faster than WinXP. I had installed Vista but that was slow and I heard Win7 was faster on older PCs than Vista was.

Also, if my apps don't run on Win7, then there is absolutely no reason for me to install it and will stick WinXP. Being disabled, I have very specific applications that I need in order to be able to use a computer and if they don't run on a newer OS, I don't need the newer OS.

Speed is what I want, not bells and whistles.

Udedenkz    51

Windows 7 has better that XP,

Shutdown, Startup, and Standby Times

Media Features (WMP, Codecs...)

Ease of Use

GUI Glitter

Some GUI elements (such as the new start menu search / run hybrid)

Libraries (Useful)

Smarter Remove Hardware

Security Features (I guess, I never used them)

Microsoft Support

Ability to mute individual apps.

GPU dependency / features

Administrator Tools

Language Support I think

Live App Support

Ease of Installing Drivers

Harder To Crash ?

Windows XP is better than Windows 7 in, (as long as drivers are available)

CPU Usage (no DWM, not much additional services, etc...)

RAM Usage (disable this and that and you will be at 120MB)

Sound Support (because Vista and Up use some sort of DRM - which leeches resources)

GUI Speed (as long as you add a tweak here and there scrolling, responsiveness is better)

Application Startup Times (might not be true for old folks with Hard Drives - tested on SSD no *fetch functionality)

You will have more space left on your Hard Drive.

Some GUI elements.

DX9 performance.

Driver Support for Uncommon devices.

It has less bugs (8 years of bug fixing!!!)

Working chkdsk (In W7, chkdsk crashed Windows for me)

Immense amount of data and tweaks are available for XP.

Edited by Udedenkz

jonhapimp    0

Stop living in the past

svnO.o    26

Well if your getting a Mac then you have the option of using Boot Camp. You could install Windows 7 on a separate partition and use bootcamp to run XP (that's what I'd do, since Mac OSX uses less ram than Windows 7 and could better handle another OS on top of it, at least with only 2GB of ram, in theory anyway). Unless you plan on wiping OSX from the laptop. And you should be able to run XP Mode just fine on Windows 7 with a laptop like that too. I don't see why you'd need XP though as I think most apps should work just fine in Windows 7 (I haven't had any trouble with any apps).

Edited by dlegend

Skyfrog    708
Stop living in the past

So rather than giving valid reasons as to why someone might want to spend their hard earned money to replace what may be for them a perfectly usable OS that is still fully supported, you simply say it's because they should "stop living in the past". How ridiculous.

notuptome2004    152
So rather than giving valid reasons as to why someone might want to spend their hard earned money to replace what may be for them a perfectly usable OS that is still fully supported, you simply say it's because they should "stop living in the past". How ridiculous.

well we cant i repeat cant really spat to you a reason why cause you need to be running the damn thing in-order to see and reek the benefits witch are alot.

i will say this Windows XP is OLD as Hell and under the hood changes can not properly accommodate newer hardware such as Core i7 chips new GPUS Windows 7 is based on the new foundation vista laid down new building blocks witch windows is made from and while based on it it improves alot of it. Why are you running windows XP on new hardware what a Freaking shame you wasted all that mony to run an old ass OS witch will not take advantage of todays hardware like Windows 7 can and will do. and no Drivers cant fix and or add improves to the OS itself so your hardware will run just like windows 7

Do what ever Makes you happy, but you wast to much money i bet on your hardware just to watch your hardware Work like a Limp Man Part

TonyLock    26
Well if your getting a Mac then you have the option of using Boot Camp. You could install Windows 7 on a separate partition and use bootcamp to run XP (that's what I'd do, since Mac OSX uses less ram than Windows 7 and could better handle another OS on top of it, at least with only 2GB of ram, in theory anyway). Unless you plan on wiping OSX from the laptop. And you should be able to run XP Mode just fine on Windows 7 with a laptop like that too. I don't see why you'd need XP though as I think most apps should work just fine in Windows 7 (I haven't had any trouble with any apps).

That's what I'm doing at the moment, not really using the OSX side, just the XP partition. I use XP as the programs I use to help me with my disability are Windows only. Some are 16 bit apps but they work on XP and didn't on Vista. If the new MackBook Air can support XP mode under Win7, then I have no worries but other than that, I am truly disabled.

The Jerk that said "Stop living in the past", would you say stop using wheel chair and get a car to someone with no legs? Just because you're not disabled, you have no idea how difficult it is to use a computer and if my apps don't run on W7 an I have no need for W7, why then hell would you expect me to "upgrade" to W7? By you're comments, you're a certified duchebag!

DigitalE    10

I've been running Windows Vista on a 1.8 GHz machine with 2 GB of RAM for the past two years, and even that runs faster than Windows XP on the same machine. I'd say go with Windows 7.

Skyfrog    708
well we cant i repeat cant really spat to you a reason why cause you need to be running the damn thing in-order to see and reek the benefits witch are alot.

i will say this Windows XP is OLD as Hell and under the hood changes can not properly accommodate newer hardware such as Core i7 chips new GPUS Windows 7 is based on the new foundation vista laid down new building blocks witch windows is made from and while based on it it improves alot of it. Why are you running windows XP on new hardware what a Freaking shame you wasted all that mony to run an old ass OS witch will not take advantage of todays hardware like Windows 7 can and will do. and no Drivers cant fix and or add improves to the OS itself so your hardware will run just like windows 7

Do what ever Makes you happy, but you wast to much money i bet on your hardware just to watch your hardware Work like a Limp Man Part

Well your childish and very poorly written fit of rage has certainly convinced me.

I'm being sarcastic of course, and I have used both Vista and 7 by the way.

TonyLock    26
I've been running Windows Vista on a 1.8 GHz machine with 2 GB of RAM for the past two years, and even that runs faster than Windows XP on the same machine. I'd say go with Windows 7.

Thanks. Do you know if W7 will run XP more on a MBA considering the specs I've listed above in my link to Apple?

notuptome2004    152
Windows 7 has better that XP,

Shutdown, Startup, and Standby Times

Media Features (WMP, Codecs...)

Ease of Use

GUI Glitter

Some GUI elements (such as the new start menu search / run hybrid)

Libraries (Useful)

Smarter Remove Hardware

Security Features (I guess, I never used them)

Microsoft Support

Ability to mute individual apps.

GPU dependency / features

Administrator Tools

Language Support I think

Live App Support

Ease of Installing Drivers

Harder To Crash ?

Windows XP is better than Windows 7 in, (as long as drivers are available)

d tweaks are available for XP.

CPU Usage (no DWM, not much additional services, etc...)

RAM Usage (disable this and that and you will be at 120MB)

Sound Support (because Vista and Up use some sort of DRM - which leeches resources)

GUI Speed (as long as you add a tweak here and there scrolling, responsiveness is better)

Application Startup Times (might not be true for old folks with Hard Drives - tested on SSD no *fetch functionality)

You will have more space left on your Hard Drive.

Some GUI elements.

DX9 performance.

Driver Support for Uncommon devices.

It has less bugs (8 years of bug fixing!!!)

Working chkdsk (In W7, chkdsk crashed Windows for me)

Immense amount of data an

your comments on windows XP is better then windows 7

CPU Usage (no DWM, not much additional services, etc...) DWM run via graphics frees up CPU cycles

RAM Usage (disable this and that and you will be at 120MB) Windows 7 runs just fine and XP is lean enough WTF you doing tweaking it more

Sound Support (because Vista and Up use some sort of DRM - which leeches resources) OMG your so mis-informed

GUI Speed (as long as you add a tweak here and there scrolling, responsiveness is better) DWM running using your GPU to run thing speeds things up fast

You will have more space left on your Hard Drive. so your sscared your 2Tb HDD loses 20gb if so dont install crap on your system leave it default OS nothing esle

DX9 performance. Windows 7 runs same or better then XP in DX9 performance and besides most of us run DX10 modes if available cause they run fine now

Driver Support for Uncommon devices. Window s7 has great driver support even better then XP

It has less bugs (8 years of bug fixing!!!) Windows 7 is the most up-to-date OS and runs fine and well XP still has bugs oh and NO Os is Bug FRee

Working chkdsk (In W7, chkdsk crashed Windows for me) a Non issue has most of use dont use it or need to

ilovetech    7

go for win7 itself. on your specs you will not be disappointed at all. although xp would tend to be bit faster but win7 brings on whole lot of improvement & feature set, you will hardly notice small performance overhead. it will run snappier.

TonyLock    26

Thank you ilovetech. I am realy worried though, if XP Mode doesn't work in Win7 on a MacBook Air, then I cannot run my special applications.

BGM    101

download the RC now before it expires, or get someone to send it to you..

and then just test it out when you get the machine

if you dont like it, dont buy it.. if you do well... then you can decide with 1st hand experience :)

powerade01    0

Why do we have to go thru with this in every thread? :rolleyes:

Read these 2 articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

If you understand about how Windows works, you will see a huge difference (For me, Its just worth upgrading for DWM)

Skyfrog    708

I'm well aware of the new features, but I do not need any of them. In fact there are a lot that I simply do not want, including the horrible new interface. It's called an opinion; just because a person is happy with the OS they are using doesn't mean they are "living in the past" and they generally get tired of people acting like Microsoft salesmen and trying to shove something else on them because it's newer. I'm very happy that you like your OS, good for you. I don't like it though and I wish people would stop telling me that I need it when I clearly don't.

This isn't directed at you but to the people saying stupid things like "get with the times"; answer the guys question honestly, give him just the facts and let him decide. Don't tell him that he "needs" it because it's the latest shiny thing on the sales aisle.

zhangm    1,333

1). The hardware supports virtualization: XP mode will work.

2). XP mode is slow, and that's the way things are no matter how much RAM you pump into the VM.

3). Windows Vista and Windows 7 run smoother than XP on modern hardware.