• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinXP vs Win7

Udedenkz    51

Now next time someone is going to complain about that, you know what to do. Saves time.

Also,

Windows Vista/7 has better SMP support than XP, meaning that multi-tasking is a lot more smoother.

-- > Wasn't the Problem. Normal people won't notice the difference.

Matter of opinion, but it beats the default Windows XP themes, not to mention that a GPU driven GUI is better than a non-GPU driven one.

-- > Without the GPU drivers, XP interface is impossible too. Which I guess is a +1 for W7... better vanilla driver.

Drivers crash themselves, don't blame Microsoft or Windows, it's down to the OEM Vendor and I'd seriously consider file some bug reports if this is the case, other than that, it could be a fault with the hardware or your system configuration.

-- > That was a matter of "Cool! Look What I did!"

Like I said previously, Windows XP had a crappy default theme, people had to theme it to make it not look like crap, Aero is very nice and I love it the way it is, then again, that's my opinion.

-- > I am not talking about themes, but buttons, what to show hide, where to put the Disconnect icon, etc..

Lack of Search Options? I love the ability to search Neowin from within Explorer, or any other website that supports that feature, don't make me laugh. I'm sure Brandon Live will show you a pointed list about all the different features the new Search has.

---> I answered that..

No it doesn't.

-- > Yes it does, compared to XP's classic search. Details View. Less Results per screen.

Again, I don't see a problem since I can hit the 'Windows key' and type something like 'Uninstall' and it gives me the program uninstall function from within the Control panel. Less clicks, less time spent looking for what you want.

-- > Search is good, excellent actually in Start Menu. Control Panel is bad though imo.

*sighs*

-- > Wan't a screenshot?

Windows 7 is as fast as Windows XP whening opening folders/files, but then again, this can be for a number of reasons i.e. processors etc.

-- > Point taken.

This is not Windows Vista/Windows 7's fault, this is a problem with the drive in question and Windows XP and other operating systems have the exact same problem, so stop trying to make it look like it's Windows 7's fault. Also, Microsoft have introduced the 'TRIM' command for SSD's which manufactorers are going to enable (but obviously not on all the SSDs) which will greatly maintain the SSD performance.

-- > Read Speed, Read Speed, Not write Speed.

Sorry, I've just done this right now, and I was able to scroll down the list using my arrow keys to select the task manager, so obviously this is a problem on your end.

-- > This is my fault, see previous post.

What?! You mean the bit where you double click in a empty white space to make the tabs and menu bar disappear? I can do that as well, again, don't know what you are doing here.

-- > Not what I mean.

Can be changed through the options menu. *sighs*

-- > can't if you enable classic explorer

What do you mean? Supercache will cache objects when the system is idle, Windows Vista had a far more aggressive approach by caching all the time, Windows 7 does not.

-- > Not what I was talking asbout...

This is a codec problem, not WMP itself.

-- > I fixed it quickly, by a few registry hacks. MS just set 32-bit as default like 32-bit default IE.

That's down to SSDs lacking a cache buffer, that's why newer ones have a cache buffer, it's a fundemental problem with SSDs which will get phased out over time, again, not a problem with Windows, and XP suffers from this problem (it's even worse).

-- > I wouldn't be talking about this if it was worse on XP. :)

Sorry, did you run out of points here?

-- > I just love doing this. No, honestly!

What?! How will FAT32 fix the SSD problem?

-- > Don't ask me, but Winodws XP didn't get stuck once when writing to my SSD when it was FAT32...

Not sure about this..

-- > Me neither lol

And we are moving into the age of high resolutions and the fact Windows Vista/7 can scale like this is great. And Windows XP looks like complete **** on lower resolutions, so thank you for clutching at straws.

-- > The minimum requirements for 7 imply systems that came with low res monitors.

soldier1st    40

cmon windows 7 fix ur annoying desktop icon bug.

ViperAFK    797
cmon windows 7 fix ur annoying desktop icon bug.

What desktop icon bug?

norseman    254

There is no desktop icon bug... or does he mean the border that can appear from time to time around the desktop icon that was last selected?

TokiToki    13

Desktop icon bug doesn't occur on any of my computers.

Nvidia GTS 250 1GB, NV 6600GT, GMA 950.

Xtreme2damax    42

Someone I know on another forum posted his tests for Windows 7 on a Pentium 3 1.4 GHZ and Radeon 9500 Pro, and 672 MB of ram.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,22364528

Quite impressive really considering how ancient the hardware in that PC is, and how Vista would likely perform on that machine.

I've replaced Vista x64 with Windows 7 x64 as my main operating system and I am loving it. :D

Julius Caro    55

Im not going to go through that whole list but:

- I agree the search interface lacks something. Not all the filters are shown by default. Is it THAT hard to make the size filter show by default? Right, I can type: "size:", but that's not very obvious for someone who does not speak english (though I havent tried anything other than the english version). It doesnt even tell you what the unit is for the size field (kbs? mbs? ) There should be better 'advanced search' options.

- I have NO problems at all using the arrow keys to navigate to the task manager in the ctrl+alt+del menu. But the Ctrl+alt+del days are gone, anyway, win7 and vista were solid as hell. Not to mention you can right click on the taskbar and open the task manager from there. Or anchor the thing to the taskbar.

dr_crabman    68
- I have NO problems at all using the arrow keys to navigate to the task manager in the ctrl+alt+del menu. But the Ctrl+alt+del days are gone, anyway, win7 and vista were solid as hell. Not to mention you can right click on the taskbar and open the task manager from there. Or anchor the thing to the taskbar.

Or how about Ctrl+Shift+Esc for starting the task manager? Doesn't get any easier.

Cold Blood    0

I get the same feeling from 7 that I got from xp and what vista lacked, the feeling that it just works, it doesn't hang,decent boot times and so on. In the end this is the most important thing.

When I use the computer heavily, I completely forget about windows 7 and focus on the tasks at hand. That's probably the biggest achievement of 7. It let's me do what I want and makes my life easier without me even realizing.

Cold Blood    0

double post,sorry

Xilo    925

So, I finally decided to go ahead and install Windows 7 today. Even on my old ass crappy computer, it's running a lot better than Windows XP.

In Windows XP, I had to use CoreAVC and have MPC have a higher priority just to watch some videos. Windows 7 will playback 1080p ts files with no stutter. Games are also running with slightly more FPS.

Have a couple gripes though. One is HIGH PING. I was getting 500ms ping in WoW. I had to do several tweaks to get the ping back down to sub 100ms.

Another is how slow explorer is. I have a folder with 2000 video files. Windows XP will open this folder without a hitch. On Windows 7, I see the green loading bar of doom and it takes forever to finish before I can do anything with the files in that folder.

Udedenkz    51
So, I finally decided to go ahead and install Windows 7 today. Even on my old ass crappy computer, it's running a lot better than Windows XP.

In Windows XP, I had to use CoreAVC and have MPC have a higher priority just to watch some videos. Windows 7 will playback 1080p ts files with no stutter. Games are also running with slightly more FPS.

Have a couple gripes though. One is HIGH PING. I was getting 500ms ping in WoW. I had to do several tweaks to get the ping back down to sub 100ms.

Another is how slow explorer is. I have a folder with 2000 video files. Windows XP will open this folder without a hitch. On Windows 7, I see the green loading bar of doom and it takes forever to finish before I can do anything with the files in that folder.

- "Crappy" is not a proper description, as it is up to the individual to assess

- This is probably that your GPU support 1080p h264 decode, but you never knew how to use it in XP whereas WMP in W7 uses it by default

- 500ms for an MMORPG seems just fine to me - now for an FPS - that is horrible.

- That seems to be how W7 was designed - make sure that your CPU is running at full power (set minimum power to 100%) - it will help... otherwise I don't think there is anything one can do...

Xilo    925

500ms for any game is completely unacceptable especially when i was getting 100ms (normal for WoW) normally in Windows XP. I had to add a registry entry, and disable autotuning and heuristics to get it back down reasonable levels.

There is no CPU Performance option anywhere in the power options. Pretty sad Windows XP can open the folder with no problems while Windows 7 opens it and sits there and loads forever doing who knows what before it reorders the files by how I set it.

Edited by Xilo

Udedenkz    51
500ms for any game is completely unacceptable especially when i was getting 100ms (normal for WoW) normally in Windows XP. I had to add a registry entry, and disable autotuning and heuristics to get it back down reasonable levels.

There is no CPU Performance option anywhere in the power options. Pretty sad Windows XP can open the folder with no problems while Windows 7 opens it and sits there and loads forever doing who knows what before it reorders the files by how I set it.

I keep XP around for chkdsk and gaming, so I can't really test for that problem as I never gamed on 7.

Power Options - > Edit Plan Settings - > Change Advanced Power Settings -> Processor Power Management -> Minimum Processor State -> Plugged In -> 100%

It made my interface feel less laggy.

Make sure you disable stuff that you don't use like whatever you don't use...

freeza    11

Let me just say what we all know is true in this thread. Instead of arguing over and over again and trying to state your case as to why Windows XP is better and/or not worth the upgrade, just come out and say it.

Reason not to upgrade to Windows 7: Can't afford it. There. No need to continue this fruitless debate.

Julius Caro    55

- This is probably that your GPU support 1080p h264 decode, but you never knew how to use it in XP whereas WMP in W7 uses it by default

- 500ms for an MMORPG seems just fine to me - now for an FPS - that is horrible.

- That seems to be how W7 was designed - make sure that your CPU is running at full power (set minimum power to 100%) - it will help... otherwise I don't think there is anything one can do...

Was it ever confirmed that WMP in w7 uses GPU acceleration for h264? I've always suspected it did because the EXTREMELY low CPU usage when playing full 1080p videos, but I've never found a confirmation from a credible source. Some people still say that coreAVC still outperforms WMP built-in support.

Subject Delta    108

Don't talk nonsense, if the GPU supports H264 decoding, it will have driver support in XP and 7

Xerif    1
/grabs popcorn and beer

Let me grab some!

iamwhoiam    69
Reason not to upgrade to Windows 7: Can't afford it. There. No need to continue this fruitless debate.

Or maybe...those that still use XP and will continue to use for some time to come are happy with it. I know people that have massive PCs and put XP(64) on them because it's what they're used to and comfortable with.

Udedenkz    51
Don't talk nonsense, if the GPU supports H264 decoding, it will have driver support in XP and 7

read plz, not skim.

petersaints    0

Well I'm using Windows 7 x64 on my crappy AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Single Core)/ 2GB DDR-400 / Geforce 6600GT 256Mb GDDR3 and it works fine.

However I'm still wondering if in a machine like this I wouldn't be better with the good old XP. What do you guys think? Especially on gaming with DX9 era games? I'm unsure what to do!!

Julius Caro    55

Yes and no. The codec has to support and have the option enabled to offload some work to the GPU. XP doesnt even have h264 support in the first place. Most of the GPU-friendly h264 codecs only work in commercial players (those meant to play bluray). You can't run a random codec (libavc, core avc standard, etc) and hope that it will magically work.