• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

720P or 1080P?!

Which version?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Conjor    40

Not to sound counter productive but there are a lot of factors that would play into getting a higher resolution or not.

How far are you sitting away from the TV? The further away you are, the less you will be able to see the difference between 1080 and 720. Will you be using it for a computer? Will you be hooking up any digital connections to it or just basic cable?

Lots of questions to answer but, if it comes down to quality / dollar then i would say go with the 720. Unless you are really picky about quality, and i mean VERY picky about quality, you wont see a huge difference with the 1080 unless you have a completely high-def setup (everything digital, blu-ray, computer hooked up, ect, ect) or you are sitting close to the TV.

DaDude    46
My opinion is if you're going with a 42" or higher TV you defintely must get a 1080p TV. If you're below that size there are no worries about getting a 720p version unless you're hooking it up to your computer or you're sitting close that 1,5x it's diagonal.

Exactly. 1080p is only beneficial when the TV is 40" or bigger. 32" is too small for 1080p. Any extra detail given by the extra resolution will be too small to make out.

deletedxyz    34

>=42'' => Go with 1080p

< 42'' => Go with 720p

If you're going to use it with a PC and such, then go with a 1080p.

+longgonebn    74
>=42'' => Go with 1080p

< 42'' => Go with 720p

That is basically the best answer.

HawkMan    5,232

for a 32 inch, you'll not see the extra pixels of 1080p unless you sit right in front of it or use it as a monitor.

So you're better of paying for a better 720 panel. Granted Samsung get's good panels at Series 5 wich is also when they go exclusively 1080. though their series 7 has WAY better picture than 5 anyway, with blacks as good as their leds (though probably not as good dark detail but I haven't gotten to actually testing it) Sony tends to have a better selection of panels in 720 and 1080 though, but even they go 1080 for their really good panels.

of course you could splurge and get one of the Samsung or LG LED 32 inches, of course for the price of them you could get 2 really good 32 non LED tv's with a picture practically identical, or 2-3 cheap ones with a average to crappy picture quality.

>=42'' => Go with 1080p

< 42'' => Go with 720p

I'll agree with this :)

ImaITGuy    0
for a 32 inch, you'll not see the extra pixels of 1080p unless you sit right in front of it or use it as a monitor.

So you're better of paying for a better 720 panel. Granted Samsung get's good panels at Series 5 wich is also when they go exclusively 1080. though their series 7 has WAY better picture than 5 anyway, with blacks as good as their leds (though probably not as good dark detail but I haven't gotten to actually testing it) Sony tends to have a better selection of panels in 720 and 1080 though, but even they go 1080 for their really good panels.

of course you could splurge and get one of the Samsung or LG LED 32 inches, of course for the price of them you could get 2 really good 32 non LED tv's with a picture practically identical, or 2-3 cheap ones with a average to crappy picture quality.

I'll agree with this :)

I got the 32" Vizio 1080P for $479 - too good of a deal to pass up 8 months ago

Wannes    38
Exactly. 1080p is only beneficial when the TV is 40" or bigger. 32" is too small for 1080p. Any extra detail given by the extra resolution will be too small to make out.

Unless the person is sitting real close (though I would not advice it) to the TV. Then you will see the advantage of 1080p even on smaller setups.

Ridlas    39

So far I'm convinced to spend a little more for the 1080P

Wannes    38

If you feel that you for fill the extras needed for the 1080p then go for it! :)

DaDude    46

Fine. Get the 1080p then. Get the Series 5 version of the TV I suggested earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B550-32-...1556&sr=8-1

It's over $150 more. You may see a difference with the added resolution. The question is: Is it $150 worth of a difference at that kind of size? I strong suggest getting a 40" if you want a 1080p. If you have the money, get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40B550-40-...1718&sr=8-1

majortom1981    242

With the samsung 32 inch led tv its not just about picture quality. The LEd tvs also use a lot less power and are much thinner.

So if power use is no problem then get a cheaper 1080p 32inch but if power is a big deal then the led tvs by samsung are good (i have the 40inch 6000 series).

HawkMan    5,232
LG? Yuck! Invest more in a Samsung. Trust me. It's worth it. I'll bet a 32" 720p Samsung has better picture than that LG 1080p TV.

yeah, Except LG tends to score very high on picture quality tests. Samsung just happen to be the popular brand.

And since all 720 Samsungs are series 3 or 4, I doubt the LG will have lower PQ. if you want a good panel and you're buying a samsung, you stay with at the very least series 5, though once you see the contrast and black levels of series 6 and 7 next to a 5, you'll want to save a bit more.

DaDude    46
yeah, Except LG tends to score very high on picture quality tests. Samsung just happen to be the popular brand.

And since all 720 Samsungs are series 3 or 4, I doubt the LG will have lower PQ. if you want a good panel and you're buying a samsung, you stay with at the very least series 5, though once you see the contrast and black levels of series 6 and 7 next to a 5, you'll want to save a bit more.

I don't know. The LG TVs look pretty horrible to me. I remember I was staying at the Marriot hotel a couple of months ago for my vacation. They had an LG TV in the room. I couldn't believe my eyes. The picture was downright awful, even when watching HD channels. Maybe it's a bad setup, but I doubt it since the channels were coming from the TV's digital tuner.

shihchiun    2

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference on a 32" TV

Owen W    53
I want to buy a 32" HDTV and I can't decide to either get the 720P or 1080P version.

I'm going to be using the TV for a PS3, Zune HD with the AV Dock (movies), and HD cable.

I would go 1080p, the picture is just better

BoDEAN    68
LG? Yuck! Invest more in a Samsung. Trust me. It's worth it. I'll bet a 32" 720p Samsung has better picture than that LG 1080p TV.

Samsung rock. Have had my 46" for 2 years now. Never "skimp" on a cheap brand when it comes to a tv. You'll regret it.

morebaker    42

It is a simple thing really. Buy the best your BUDGET can afford.

I have found with anything this philosophy works for me.

From computers to mp3 players and just about any tech toy.

enroh    406

Just do yourself a favour and don't buy a discount brand whether its 720P or 1080P.

How about you do some research on the size of the TV you need for the distance you will be from it. Then sort out a budget. Then find a TV in a showroom and make sure they are all showing the SAME thing (DVD/TV/whatever) and pick the one that looks best to YOU. YOUR eyes are different than someone else's. I have perfect vision, some people need lenses. I can see a difference between 1080i and 1080P on my TV (52" Aquos 92 Series). I also spent about 6 hours tweaking the display based on the location in the house using DVE (Digital Video Essentials) - this IMO is the second best thing you can do besides going with a name brand.

720P on my unit looks great, but 1080P looks amazing. SD television looks like crap though once you get used to HD. HDNet is the best looking 1080i channel where I am by far.

DaDude    46
I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference on a 32" TV

So many people on this thread have similar responses, but it doesn't seem like you people are participating the poll. The 720p is losing. So, from the looks of it, I think the OP is going with 1080p.

Ridlas    39
Ridlas,

If you want the best 32" TV, get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B650-32-...1789&sr=8-1

It's $900, which isn't that bad. If you get this, you can rest assured that you have one of the best looking 32" TVs out there.

I would LOVE to get this tv, but goddamn its expensive. i think 600usd is my max :s, I mean I have the money for the 900usd one, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money on a TV.

What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B530-32-...9936&sr=1-3

DaDude    46
I would LOVE to get this tv, but goddamn its expensive. i think 600usd is my max :s, I mean I have the money for the 900usd one, but I don't know if I want to spend that much money on a TV.

What about something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32B530-32-...9936&sr=1-3

That's a great TV. But that's also quite pricey. It looks like it only has one component port. It'll be better if it had two, but if that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Personally, I think the Series 4 version (which I initially recommended) is the better bang for the buck, IMHO. It may be 720p, but it's got great picture, great reviews, 3 HDMI ports, and 2 component ports. All that for $550 only. Totally worth the money.

Edited by xraffle

Ridlas    39

Eh, so many people said the 5 series are way better so yea.