Young Brampton lightning victim dies in hospital

By carrying his scooter, he effectively became a lightning rod.

TORONTO ? A five-year-old boy who was hit by lightning on Aug. 12 in Brampton, Ont., has died at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children.

Hospital spokeswoman Judy Noordermeer said she could only confirm that Kyus Caines had passed away and that it happened shortly after 8 p.m. on Friday.

Kyus and his 26-year-old mother, Dulcineia Caines, and a three-year-old playmate were struck in a field while walking home.

The three-year-old boy and Kyus's mother were both released from hospital within a few days.

Kyus was carrying a metal scooter over his shoulder and bore the brunt of the lightning strike.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...=TorontoNewHome

That's sad. It could happen to anyone, I suppose. My great-grandfather was struck by lightning once years ago while in the fields but it didn't kill him.

That's sad. It could happen to anyone, I suppose. My great-grandfather was struck by lightning once years ago while in the fields but it didn't kill him.

I saw something about a week ago that said deaths by a lightning strike is somewhat rare.

Toronto' Hospital for Sick Children?, Is that like an oxymoron or is it just me, Anyways I knew a girls father who was struck by lightning years ago, but for him his sense of touch more exact hot and cold were switched for him. Basically He was comfortable in the winter time outside in a blizzard with shorts and a tee shirt. Not my ideal of living but he did survive.

Toronto' Hospital for Sick Children?, Is that like an oxymoron or is it just me, Anyways I knew a girls father who was struck by lightning years ago, but for him his sense of touch more exact hot and cold were switched for him. Basically He was comfortable in the winter time outside in a blizzard with shorts and a tee shirt. Not my ideal of living but he did survive.

No. That's the name of the hospital. It indicates that the hospital is for "sick children".

Anyway, I heard about this from my friends. It's unfortunate that he died so young. You would think that lightning hitting you is near-impossible unless you fly a metallic kite in the sky during a lightning storm. I hope the family is alright after their unexpected loss.

You would think that lightning hitting you is near-impossible unless you fly a metallic kite in the sky during a lightning storm.

From the article:

Kyus was carrying a metal scooter over his shoulder and bore the brunt of the lightning strike.

From the article:

I know, I read the article. I was implying that you'd think it would take something extreme for lightning to hit you.

You would think that lightning hitting you is near-impossible unless you fly a metallic kite in the sky during a lightning storm.

Not really, it just depends whether or not there are better "lightning rods" in the area otherwise humans make a pretty good lightning rod.

The severe weather in this region has been getting worse and more intense in the past few years. Last week we had several confirmed F1 and F2 tornadoes all over Southern Ontario. That like never happens.

Save us, Al Gore!

The severe weather in this region has been getting worse and more intense in the past few years. Last week we had several confirmed F1 and F2 tornadoes all over Southern Ontario. That like never happens.

Save us, Al Gore!

There were 6 confirmed tornados here, and Al Gore can't do anything, he's to busy inventing the next Internet. :p

Save us, Al Gore!

Tell me about it. A tornado landed near a mall within 20km of my house.

I know, I read the article. I was implying that you'd think it would take something extreme for lightning to hit you.

it does, that's why so "little" people are hit by lightning if you look at it on a global scale :)

Yeah, just when his condition was beginning to improve. Sad...

Damn canadian hospitals..... *half laugh, half cry*

picard-facepalm.jpg

What does the hospital being in Canada have to do with this?