People should stop talking smack about Windows 7

Seriously, I'm sick of seeing threads about Windows XP vs Windows 7. Sick of seeing inconclusive tests. Windows XP is a DEAD ERA and has more problems then Windows Vista and Windows 7 will ever have.

I bid you a good evening. BAI.

Wow. Factions of Microsoft Fanboys going after each other? This may start to look like different sects of a religion going to war with each other..

Game on!

Windows XP is a DEAD ERA and has more problems then Windows Vista and Windows 7 will ever have.

Prove it, or this thread is no better than the ones you're complaining about.

Wow. Factions of Microsoft Fanboys going after each other? This may start to look like different sects of a religion.

Game on!

Hahah. I am no fanboy. I'm just sick of hearing about Windows XP and people praising it.

Hahah. I am no fanboy. I'm just sick of hearing about Windows XP and people praising it.

Windows XP turned out great. We still use it in our organization and will be skipping right over Vista to Windows 7...

From an Article.

WHY Windows 7 will tromp every previous Windows version and why we should pay close attention to it.

In order to properly get everyone up to speed, first I must take you back to 2003, back to when Microsoft was all about the “Longhorn Vision” and what it will mean for the end user. Microsoft was promising everyone an amazing world where you would be able to accomplish almost anything with this amazing new operating system. The demos were absolutely breathtaking, but unfortunately, most of these demos were nothing more than smoke and mirrors. In reality, the physical code that was Longhorn, was an absolute train wreck. The builds were horribly unstable, and it looked as if the vision would come crashing down like a house of cards, and in August of 2004 it did just that. Microsoft set off to reset the codebase and restart Longhorn from scratch. Normally this wouldn’t have been so bad, except they decided to remove many of the promised features, and 2 years later they delivered Vista, a half baked release and something that didn’t even come close to the original Longhorn that we all wanted to see. Vista was plagued by driver issues, performance issues, and stability issues. It got off to a very bad start with the press literally throwing it under the bus, and to this day the mere mention of Vista in a crowd makes people cringe. Granted, a lot of the issues were fixed in SP1, but not enough to make people want to switch, many bugs that were reported during the beta still remain in Vista to this day.

With Windows 7, Microsoft realized it needed to change things radically. Jim Allchin had retired from his post as chief of the platforms division, and Microsoft brought in Steven Sinofsky under the new title “Vice President of Windows and Windows Live.” Steven has a reputation of driving releases that are on target, meet deadlines, and most importantly, deliver results. Steven’s first order of business was to re-organize the whole Windows division in order to streamline the development process and ensure a quality product at any point in the build process. He instituted a series of code quality checks, wherein NOTHING is allowed to check into winmain unless it meets a stringent quality standard for stability and function, something that really did not exist during Longhorn/Vista development. The purpose of this is to ensure that almost any Windows 7 build plucked out of the winmain lab will be stable enough for regular usage.

The second part of the policy change, and the one that I might not fully agree with, is his disclosure policy. During Longhorn/Vista development, Microsoft was extremely open about the process. The public literally had an open window to look in on Longhorn development and see how things were going. The problem with this though, is that the public also had a bird’s eye view of the failures, the feature cuts, and the pushing out of the half-baked Vista. I do think that Steven went a little too far with his non-disclosure policy, but looking back I really can’t fault the man. He managed to keep Windows 7 development under wraps long enough to genuinely surprise all of the PDC attendees that saw the first public demonstration. The fact that we were seeing real working code, and not some director demo was also extremely satisfying.

And finally, the third part of the policy change, and this one is actually rather profound. Steven wants Microsoft to promise, and then deliver exactly what they promised, and so far they appear to be doing just that. And dare I say it, Windows 7 is MUCH closer to the original Longhorn vision than Vista ever was. If you honestly think about it, Longhorn had many conceptual features that appear in current builds of Windows 7:

New, Animated boot screen: During the Longhorn project, there were concepts for a new, high resolution, animated boot screen. This feature was later pulled from Vista, although it could be enabled (minus animation) with a boot loader hack.

New Taskbar: During Longhorn development, there were many UI concepts going around for a new taskbar that would rethink the way the user deals with tasks and launches applications. In Windows 7, the new taskbar (codenamed superbar) delivers on that goal. It unifies the quick launch and running applications, gives nice visuals of open tasks, and generally streamlines the task management experience. I think this is a huge step forward for Windows, and a much needed change after 14 years of little change in this department.

Federated Search: In Longhorn, Microsoft wanted to implement WinFS for easy file searching and data management, but they also wanted to enable this functionality over the network. In Windows 7 this will become a reality with the new federated search feature. This new feature allows users to search over the network or on websites with little to no code changes on the server side. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Castle: In Longhorn, a new networking feature (called castle at the time) was being worked on that would easily allow people to network their home PC’s and share and stream information over the network. In Windows 7 this feature is back in a functional form under the name “Homegroups”. Homegroups allow a user to create a network of Windows 7 with extreme ease. Gone are the days of pulling out your hair trying to create a networked environment of XP or Vista machines in your home.

New Explorer Views: In Longhorn there were many new explorer view ideas, and while not all of them appear in 7, one major one does. The stacking view. This view allows you to stack files by date, author, and many other filters. This view especially shines with pictures. Want to sort your pictures by month taken and have them stacked? Easy.

Device Stage: One of the concept features in Longhorn included a new way to visualize the connected devices on your PC. Windows 7 really delivers here with the new device stage feature. It allows for a much more visual experience specifically tailored to your device that allows you to see information and perform tasks all in one easy to use location.

Windows 7 comes with even more on top of all of that. It comes with new additions to Aero, such as Aero peek, Aero Shake, Aero Snap just to name a few. These features really make the experience of using Windows a whole lot better. Aero snap is really useful when viewing multiple documents and you want a side by side view. Aero Peek is great when you want to get a quick look at the desktop or a specific window without minimizing everything, and Aero shake is nice in touch based applications as a quick way to un-clutter the screen.

The bottom line is Microsoft really set out to change perceptions and fix the problems that plagued Vista. And so far they are doing a very good job of that with Windows 7. Current builds of Windows 7 are amazingly fast, driver support is better than Vista, even at this early beta stage, and the stability is absolutely unbelievable. I have been using Windows 7 as my primary operating system for a while now and I have absolutely no intentions of going back to Vista. Actually, you couldn’t even pay me to go back to Vista at this point. In my view, Windows 7 will be the operating system that breathes new life into Microsoft, and revitalizes the Windows and PC community as a whole. Apple, get ready to meet your match, you’re not going to be able to poke fun at this release, it’s probably going to trump Snow Leopard too.

Exhibit 1:

capture.png

As you can see Windows XP is far from dead and won't be dead for a long time.

statistics means absolutely nothing, XP is nothing more than a dead end, dead era of computing and technology and most people fail to see that.

I wonder how many people were using Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 when 98 finished development?

It takes time for people to migrate. Most consumers only upgrade to a new OS when they replace their computer. Most businesses only upgrade after thorough testing and weighing of the pros and cons over time.

New Explorer Views: In Longhorn there were many new explorer view ideas, and while not all of them appear in 7, one major one does. The stacking view. This view allows you to stack files by date, author, and many other filters. This view especially shines with pictures. Want to sort your pictures by month taken and have them stacked? Easy.

Vista had stacked views as well. Unfortunately the stack by feature is so neutered in Windows 7 it isn't worth talking about! That has been my biggest loss in Windows 7.

Seriously, I'm sick of seeing threads about Windows XP vs Windows 7. Sick of seeing inconclusive tests. Windows XP is a DEAD ERA and has more problems then Windows Vista and Windows 7 will ever have.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw

+1

I'd tend to agree with the OP, there are still a lot of XP trolls that totally lack the facts about Windows 7 (one member who shall remain nameless comes to mind :laugh:), but the annoying thing is not people that like XP, they can use whatever the hell they want, but the people who spread faux information about Windows 7

First of all, Vista was a disaster. Even with SP2 the damn thing doesn't work right. Constant "Program has stopped working" crap and slower than an old lady on her way to church.

XP (GUI) is faster than Windows 7 and Vista just like Windows 2000 (GUI) is faster than XP and Windows 98 (GUI) is faster than Windows 2000 and Windows 95 (GUI) is faster than Windows 98...Blah, blah, blah.

You must remember friend that with every new release of Windows comes new baggage. I remember the days when Windows 3.11 and Windows 95 could be installed off a Floppy disk then a CD and now DVD...Next? - BlueRay maybe? Depending on how much extra baggage they add to it in the future as technology progresses.

As far as I know, Windows 7 works like charm. My PC didn't like Vista. It performed slow with it (I don't know why) but with Windows 7 it flies. I have nothing negative to say about Windows 7 so far.

And yes, I agree Windows XP was great, but IT IS a dead era. We need to move forward and adapt to the changes at hand. I guarantee you, 3 years from now, everyone will be saying how awesome and good Windows 7 is and when Windows 8 comes out, everyone is going to feel the same as today:

"Windows 8 sucks. Windows 7 is the best and faster."

And you my friend, will be saying:

"Seriously, I'm sick of seeing threads about Windows 7 vs Windows 8. Sick of seeing inconclusive tests."

If you're referring to this site, honestly, why do you care? In my short time here, it's pretty apparent that there is an inordinately high number of really clueless people, especially for a "tech" site. So, why care? Just consider the source, and go on with your life. :)

people should stop posting dumb captioned images, really getting old now.

I agree with this, not only old but disrespectful. This is not an Image Board. :crazy: