What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

The games explorer is awful compared to the Vista one, less features and you cant edit items etc.

+1

And when you put custom launchers in there you can't change the Icon (Project 64 is a good example).

I would have been very happy if they didn't remove some features like network activity animation, size and free space on status bar, Advanced Tag Editor and Color Chooser from WMP. And Vista pulled a hell lot of features which they didn't put back.

The games explorer is awful compared to the Vista one, less features and you cant edit items etc.

I wouldn't say it's awful, but it sure would have been damn nice of MS still allowed the user to edit the items. Otherwise, I do like what 7's Games Explorer has. Hopefully this will be fixed with a SP. I can't think of anything else that comes to mind that frustrates me. Come to think of it, allowing for customization of the Explorer command bar would have been nice.

Another thing I absolutely HATE is the fact if you have the Preview Pane enabled for one folder it's enabled for ALL folders and the size also is the same no matter what folder. Who's DUMB idea was that?

Your one example is removing Windows Search breaks search bars, which is weak considering all Windows Explorer search funtions are managed by Windows Search

Perhaps because in XP this wasn't an issue - you still had internal search functionality in the file explorer itself without having to resort to a master search in the OS itself. I'm surprised they didn't remove find from Notepad after you disable search. *smirk*

Why is someone that uses KDE upset about "Bling-Bling"?

One single button in KDE turns it all off without having an effect on the rest of the GUI (apart from the obvious features like transparency or shadows which you can actually use without compositing). It looks and acts exactly the same, when you turn off Aero.. well I'm sure you know, it's not exactly the same.

Either way, there's quite a few things I don't like about Win7, which is pretty much why it went out the door already - after a month of testing various facets of it. Luckily there are now real tangible choices.

Only thing I don't like is minimizing WMP12 to the taskbar, it doesn't stay on top of other apps like in Vista. I used to love having video clips or movies playing minimized while waiting for my WoW guild to pull the next big boss for example.

Perhaps because in XP this wasn't an issue - you still had internal search functionality in the file explorer itself without having to resort to a master search in the OS itself. I'm surprised they didn't remove find from Notepad after you disable search. *smirk*

One single button in KDE turns it all off without having an effect on the rest of the GUI (apart from the obvious features like transparency or shadows which you can actually use without compositing). It looks and acts exactly the same, when you turn off Aero.. well I'm sure you know, it's not exactly the same.

Either way, there's quite a few things I don't like about Win7, which is pretty much why it went out the door already - after a month of testing various facets of it. Luckily there are now real tangible choices.

Win7 is based more on search index than Vista/xp/etc ever was - this is more like Longhorn/WinFS concept. It doesn't make sense to employ two different mechanisms to do essentially the same thing (yea, XP did it but that doesn't make it right). What does system wide search index has to do with Notepad's (or any other app) internal functionality? You are just making yourself look foolish.

Turning off aero and turning off effects is not nearly same :s We could go in detail but I am sure you know that already and just complaining for the heck of it. :/

We are glad to know that you have better choices that keep you happy. :wacko:

The crappy Adobe framework/background thing that CS3 requires be running doesn't work on my Win7 for some reason. That's a problem with Adobe's software and not Windows really; but it's honestly the only problem I've had with Win7. All my hardware, games, and apps (besides Adobe junk) works like a charm.

Win7 is by far my favorite OS right now.

Sorry what was your grime about Windows 7 again, I missed it in your reply

I just replied to his post, is that now allowed? :huh:

The old index service is still there. You can turn it on by going to "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" and using "Turn Windows features on or off."

"Indexing service - turns the indexing service that was available in previous versions of Windows on or off"

That I cannot force it to show known file extensions

Open an Explorer windows, hit ALT and select Tools>Folder Options>View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". :)

Libraries, Home Group instead of more traditional media sharing. Though HomeGroup is very powerful for networking your existing devices and computers I think they could've solved it better.

There are some annoying bugs in the Explorer like sometimes if I rename a file or delete it i have to hit refresh to see the file gone or changed.

Taskbar should be a bit smarter. When you have multiple windows opened for an application I want to be able to click on the icon and restore the last active window instead of always opening the spread and then picking the window.

There is a couple of other smaller annoyances but the ones I noted are the ones that kind of annoy the hell out of me.

You're not doing it right.

Wow, that is really deep! :p

GreyWolfSC up above helped me out. I know it sounds like a nOOb question, but I spent about 2 hours searching for the answer and could not find it. May I was not using the magic keywords? :argh:

I figured I would post the question here to see if someone else knew the answer.

Nothing. Windows 7 works great.

Um you'd have to reply to all the posts here and explain everything in detail on how they are not using it right.

By the way, I like this thread its interesting to hear the Users point of view on Windows 7 usage (instead of waiting a year for this to eventuate undoubtedly ;))

Generally Windows all versions have had issues, and usually big ones (ie that's why Service Packs were introduced)

Maybe I should wait until Windows 7 SP1 is released

I figured I would post the question here to see if someone else knew the answer.

That use to be called Hijacking a thread

This thread is about: What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

Lets hear more of this

I hate Windows 7 because...

That I cannot force it to show known file extensions

Or Start button -> "Folder Options" ;)

I hate how reducing the size of the taskbar makes the icons 16x16 (or whatever it is)

...But everything else is pretty awesome.