• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

doodie    0
Any gripes about Windows 7?

The UAC is flawed, UAC has a security hole that can cause it to be disabled discreetly.

Windows 7 is bloated just like 98 and all the versions that followed, more and more, W7 is like a 50cc gokart engine installed in an 18 wheeler.

The Registry needs to go. Blue Screen of Death and Automatic Restart on System Failure needs to tell you in great detail why it happened.

At this rate, I am keeping XP.

+1 for all of that.

The registry is ancient!

doodie    0

The UAC is flawed, UAC has a security hole that can cause it to be disabled discreetly.

Windows 7 is bloated just like 98 and all the versions that followed, more and more, W7 is like a 50cc gokart engine installed in an 18 wheeler.

The Registry needs to go. Blue Screen of Death and Automatic Restart on System Failure needs to tell you in great detail why it happened.

+1 for all of that.

The registry is ancient!

Microsoft BOB™ 10    969

Btw I meant "what do you hate about Windows 7 (that earlier Windows version got right?)" and not about future enhancements and wish-lists. In which areas has Windows 7 taken a step back u think, that's what I meant. I should have phrased it that way. :)

Edited by tuxplorer

.Neo    1,834
Are you surprised? Look at Alley Cat's sig. lol It's funny how they want MS to give more details in their BSOD. When I last checked, Mac OS X gives you even less information than what MS currently has.

Mac OS X writes away an extended log when your computer crashes. In a worst-case-scenario where your Mac doesn't restart properly you can access the log from the Install DVD as well. :)

Granted, the default Kernel Panic message just tells you to restart in multiple languages.

red77stars    0

Missing Dreamscene :(

Quillz    1,011
Mac OS X writes away an extended log when your computer crashes. In a worst-case-scenario where your Mac doesn't restart properly you can access the log from the Install DVD as well. :)

Granted, the default Kernel Panic message just tells you to restart in multiple languages.

Where can I find this log? I assume somewhere inside the System folder...

ahhell    1,303

Ah yes. The same BS that the uninformed have been spouting for years.

You guys need to buy a clue.

.Neo    1,834
Where can I find this log? I assume somewhere inside the System folder...

Of course not. What I remember from the last time (it's been a while) it just appears directly on the Macintosh HD and in Console.

morphen    14

that the firewall doesn't block threads like this :p

DJ Dennis    0

Not too many issues with it... Action Center is annoying and I really dislike how tray icons are hidden.

NEVER85    248

Worst post of the thread so far. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

red77stars    0

1. I absolutely hate Game Explorer cause it has less features then version in Vista and it has no value. Absolutely useless. MS needs to completely remove it or do major re work on it.

2. WMP12 lacks advanced tag (some things you can still edit by right clicking on it), otherwise i like it. I wish it can read *.mvk extension.

3. Windows Explorer is useless, and i don't use it since Windows XP release.

4. GUI is good but there is a big conficting issues between tray icons and new taskbar. It seems that new taskbar is useless for 90% of the apps out there. Perhaps it will change, and MS needs to be persistant in pushing new taskbar, cause if they change things again with Windows 8 nobody will ever bother adapting their apps to a new Windows GUI.

5. As addition to this MS needs to remove Tray Functions completely. Just keep basic windows tray icons.

6. Remove Window Basic/Classic theme. If system has no video card to support Aero switch whole thing to command line interface, no GUI.

7. Bring back Dreamscene

Rob2687    72

I hate how sleep still doesn't work on my desktop. :(

I have dual monitors arranged with one stacked ontop of the other. WHen maximizing windows vertically it maximizes accross both monitors. I wish there was a way have it maximize accross one.

Edited by Rob2687

Udedenkz    51

1) Microsoft should fix up classic theme as it just doesn't look that good - it looks quite bad actually. I think this was intential to justify removing classic theme from Windows 8 - in other words - Microsoft being pushy again. Explorer.exe should have some adjustments specifically for the classic theme and not try to remove it. For the record, I don't use classic since XP came along but why not appeal to those that like it?

2) Basic Theme look horrid compared to the themes that were possible with Windows XP. Just because it ain't transparent means that it should look pretty horrid? I do not like the lack of the ability to customize 7 themes to the extent of XP.

3) Hamburger Bar should be off by default. It looks dumb and the start menu button looks out of place.

4) The customization of Windows Explorer seems to have been stripped. I think this is a step backward. I would love to remove the get help button for example. Right Clicking on the top Windows Explorer toolbar does NOTHING...

5) I had to set my CPU to be in full power state all the time so that the interface wouldn't lagg..

6) No ability to set CTRL-ALT-DEL to just open taskmanger...

7) No MKV support and some audio formats support in W7. MKV I can forgive, but others - sorry no.

8) For a system that doesn't give an impression of being a bloated pile of poo, it sure does take up enough space to be considered one. The registry is around 120MB also - O_o

9) GODDAMN ANNOYING - location not indexed - would you like to index your entire 500GB external hardrive? crud when searching for stuff outside the indexed area. Annoying. Really Really Annoying.

10) chkdsk - the assumption here is that if one gets the chkdsk bug then the drivers will fix it. Microsoft could have assumed that this might not happen and included the ability to use old chkdsk.

Subject Delta    108
10) chkdsk - the assumption here is that if one gets the chkdsk bug then the drivers will fix it. Microsoft could have assumed that this might not happen and included the ability to use old chkdsk.

Do you have some problem understanding these 2 words:

BY DESIGN

This is not a bug, it has been confirmed to be by design, and it isn't a chipset bug it happens on all chipsetd

PT 13    9
Pricing in Europe, MS seems to think the Dollar and the Euro are equivalent, so we are overcharged by 40%

Exactly ... :|

max84    3

That has nothing to do with what Microsoft thinks. In Germany alone the tax is 8% higher than in the US. Add to that shipping costs, and of course the retailers want to make some profit.

hdood    145

No unsigned drivers.

lalalawawawa    59

Only the minimize bug.

Guest xiphi   
Only the minimize bug.

What minimize bug?

Solid Knight    512
Blue Screen of Death and Automatic Restart on System Failure needs to tell you in great detail why it happened.

It actually does. Contrary to popular belief, the BSOD information isn't just a bunch of gibberish.

Julius Caro    55
That has nothing to do with what Microsoft thinks. In Germany alone the tax is 8% higher than in the US. Add to that shipping costs, and of course the retailers want to make some profit.

What shipping costs? They're DVDs, not consoles. They can produce them here.

It actually does. Contrary to popular belief, the BSOD information isn't just a bunch of gibberish.

I'd rather go check the Event Viewer. That memory dump thing doesn't really say much.

Udedenkz    51
Do you have some problem understanding these 2 words:

BY DESIGN

This is not a bug, it has been confirmed to be by design, and it isn't a chipset bug it happens on all chipsetd

By design, it gave me low memory errors.

By design, it can't free up memory when needed by other applications.

By design, it crashed my computer

By design, it disallows many users from using it.

By design, it is a valid reason to stay with Vista or XP where you can play Crysis while chckdsk is running.

By design, it was a mistake, a bad one at that.

Seriously, it is actually better for Windows 7 to blame it on the drivers then to say that it was "by design" responsible for low memory errors/ scripts not running because of low memory / icons dissapearing because of low memory / etc. It by design fails at resource management.

CHC    0

i've noticed many small bugs regarding drive letters/misc things with drives but when reporting it to microsoft that accuse it of being my fault when its always a fresh install or on multiple systems, thats what bothers me is the small bugs

Access Denied    0
No unsigned drivers.

I just ran into this problem today. :angry: