[definitive] Best Android Apps

For me, eliminating vertical videos is a moral imperative. Horizon automatically rotates the video frame to landscape regardless of phone orientation. Limited free version, $1 for the full version. This sometimes eliminates your ability to shoot 4K video, but in my G4 1920x1080 is no problem. If you really want 4K, use the regular cam app.

This should be a default in all cam apps.

horizon-app2.thumb.gif.ab534a5b367949a8b

hmm that's more of  step counter...

I've tried runtastic, runkeeper, mapmyrun... what I hate is having to log in to be able to use the apps... (on a very limited data connection)

IMO you won't get an app that doesn't need a decent data connection to track well enough, you need a purpose built device. 

Something with built in GPS like Fitbit Surge, Garmin Vivoactive etc but expect to pay for it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You shouldn't use Task Killer. You should use Greenify instead. :)

Both are a huge waste of resources and useless, let Android do what it does which will always be better than these apps 

• Like 2

IMO you won't get an app that doesn't need a decent data connection to track well enough, you need a purpose built device. 

Something with built in GPS like Fitbit Surge, Garmin Vivoactive etc but expect to pay for it. 

Runtastic has used 12Mb for me since the 15th. running around 2.5 hours every day. I could disable it's mobile data and it would still track just as well though.

Runtastic has used 12Mb for me since the 15th. running around 2.5 hours every day. I could disable it's mobile data and it would still track just as well though.

I'm just responding to the below, if data use is a concern then buy a device that does the tracking for you rather than rely on a smartphone's data connection.

(on a very limited data connection)

But GPS tracking on the phone doesn't require a data connection though. downloading the map if you dont have a cached map or are actively viewing the map does. but the GPS trackign itself, even on AGPS doesn't use any data. hence why it still works after you turn off the apps background data usage so it can't use mobile data . heck I only have mobile data on for runtastic so I can sync my walks right after I'm done and not wait till I get home. 

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't use Task Killer. You should use Greenify instead. :)

Why? If you want a fast Android experience, as Google intended it to be, then root your phone, get rid of the horrid carrier Android version and install a custom ROM like most of us do. I personally got rid of my LG G2 AT&T Android version and installed Cyanogenmod 12.1, which is based on Android 5.1.1, and now my phone runs like a charm. No issues whatsoever. None.

T7K2lKA3.jpg TlvRzXk8.jpg TN1e2IXr.jpg

Edited by Scorbing

• 1 year later...

Was a long time user of Lightflow but recently, stopped working consistently on my Nexus 6p.  So I tried Light Manager and that works great and better than Lightflow ever did.  I ended up paying for the Pro version.

Sucks LED control is not built in to the OS.

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2018 at 4:13 PM, 6wilson18 said:

is it safe to use emulators for pc like bluestacks, nox player etc? please help me because i want to play and watch via android apps on my pc without harming my pc..

Bluestacks is perfectly safe to use. I've used it on my home PC for awhile and it's used regularly at work. The performance of the emulator isn't great, you will encounter crashes from time to time so with that in mind be careful making any payment transactions through the emulator. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2015 at 3:18 AM, Scorbing said:

Why? If you want a fast Android experience, as Google intended it to be, then root your phone, get rid of the horrid carrier Android version and install a custom ROM like most of us do. I personally got rid of my LG G2 AT&T Android version and installed Cyanogenmod 12.1, which is based on Android 5.1.1, and now my phone runs like a charm. No issues whatsoever. None.

T7K2lKA3.jpg TlvRzXk8.jpg TN1e2IXr.jpg

Why are you running Cyanogenmod 12.1 Android 5.1.1? LineageOS, the successor of Cyanogenmod, has 15.1 builds of 8.1 oreo available for the LG G2... https://download.lineageos.org/d801

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1. Share your list of must-have apps on android. Advise cool themes and widgets.

2. Advise file manager.

3. Advise the keyboard.

4. Advise video and audio players.

5. Are there any wi-fi scanners that show devices.

6. Are there any navigation applications not through google?

7. What are your favorite photo editors to edit face and figure for sharing on social networks

Thanks in advance!

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

Find the same post.🤗

On my Android phone  (This is from a programmer's perspective)

The navigation apps:
Google Maps

Waze

Entertainment:
Facebook
Youtube
Twitter

Browser:
Google Chrome
Firefox
SRWare Iron

Lastpass.

Samsung browser (can be used on any android phone).

TomTom speed cameras(free) works perfectly with Google Maps in overlay mode.

Evie launcher with Blackdrop icon pack

AxE for some south Korean MMORPG'ness, Ingress and Pogo for a bit of AR gaming.

Then the usual Google stuff like Keep Notes, Podcasts, Home, Docs, Sheets, Rewards (£85.30 total earnings), YouTube, YT Music, YT Kids etc...

Sky Q & Sky Go for entertainment

WhatsApp, LinkedIn, Facebook & Insta for the socials. Oh, and Google's Messaging as I don't like the Sony messages app.

Tado, Ring and Bulb for home stuff.

Waze for nav, I'm a beta tester with a nice Einstein in-map icon.

On 7/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, Trientr said:

Find the same post.🤗

On my Android phone  (This is from a programmer's perspective)

The navigation apps:
Google Maps

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5092405,139.7698121,8z

Waze

Entertainment:
Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/
Youtube
Twitter

Safewiper

https://www.safewiper.com/

Browser: