Media Player Classic Home Cinema v1.3.1249

also if you have a recent nvidia card you should consider purchasing coreavc, its much more compatible than dxva

I never had problems with DXVA. What do you mean, compatible?

This is great, I thought Media Player Classic was dead (which I guess it technically it).

VideoLan is alright, but it's not as good as this.

I never had problems with DXVA. What do you mean, compatible?

cuda plays more files than dxva especially if your doing dxva on ati hardware* (iirc with ati it sticks strictly to spec and will only accelerate HP@L4.1 files) nvidia cards can do dxva with some L5.1 files but again there is a limit. also due to dxva's crapness no matter what card you have you cant use intermediate filters like ffdshow, vsfilter, reclock (mpchc's internal subtitle renderer works though) with cuda you can use intermediate filters if you want

also i dont think dxva works with madvr (a very good video renderer) madvr is still a bit new but if he keeps updating it it will be way better than evr custom

thinking about it that explanation is a bit simplified, you can use dxva on lower profiles as well depending on the number of ref frrames just most video files people want to play with dxva or cuda are HD and encoded to either a l4.1 or l5.1 profile

*if you have a ati card you dont have much choice though as cuda is a nvidia thing

Edited by Waylander

I used to use MPC-HC with CCCP and woul still choose it over vlc, the only reason i didn't use wmp in windows 7 was on hd video it would randomyl start being jerky, but it seems fixed in RTM.

Now I just use wmp12 + halii media splitter. 99.99% of movies I watch are h.264 .mkvs that play perfectly in wmp12 with full gpu acceleration.

Thanks for the heads-up. Installed the new MPC-HC version, have been using a beta build for some time. I use it for all my video/movie playback. Great player that focuses on quality and functions.

The 64-bit version has been available for a long time. It works very good, especially with the beta Haali splitter (Waylander posted info on the previous page)

I often use the shader for converting 16-235->0-255, as using the PC with an ATI card tends to get wrong output.

Back on Vista - it was easy to choose.

But on Win 7 - I still don't know if MPC is better or WMP12?? Can anyone help - I tried both and they are so similar for me when watching my moviesfg - anyone?

What's so difficult to choose between the two?

MPC has way more options, it has a key function WMP does not and that is to resume playback after you close the video file from where you left off as well as "place" bookmarks in your video.

What's so difficult to choose between the two?

MPC has way more options, it has a key function WMP does not and that is to resume playback after you close the video file from where you left off as well as "place" bookmarks in your video.

I was thinking more in terms of video and audio quality.

Being minimal doesn't need to mean looking 10 years old. The UI can be updated without adding unnecessary bling.

I don't see what they could change to make it look modern. It doesn't look that much different from the corporate skin for Windows Media Player. :huh:

MPC-HC is like Foobar2000, but for video. It doesn't need a fancy GUI. Incidentally, I notice no one complains about the GUI for the latter program.

wasn't the whole point of mp6.4 and, consequently, mpc/mpc-hc to have something small, minimalist and quick? all this crying about the UI seems rather pointless. it's supposed to be basic.

I don't see what they could change to make it look modern. It doesn't look that much different from the corporate skin for Windows Media Player. :huh:

MPC-HC is like Foobar2000, but for video. It doesn't need a fancy GUI.

Who said anything about fancy. All three of them look old and tired. fb2k can be skinned, wmp to a lesser extent, but mpc your just stuck with that feeling its the year 2000. Like I said you can, have modern and minimal. Hell even Zoom Player looks better.

wasn't the whole point of mp6.4 and, consequently, mpc/mpc-hc to have something small, minimalist and quick? all this crying about the UI seems rather pointless. it's supposed to be basic.

Something can have a decent UI and still be small, minimalist and quick.

They don't even have to change the UI in the sense of redesigning it. If they just changed the buttons and seek bar to something a little more modern-looking it would be awesome. As it is I have to hide everything just so it isn't an eyesore. Still, it's bar-none the best video player around and I'll probably be using it for years to come.

Still looking as fugly and as clunky as ever , Shame the developers don't make a proper third party player from the source code .

Sticking with PowerDVD still im afraid.

Have fun with your non free application and copy protection :sleep:

Something can have a decent UI and still be small, minimalist and quick.

A perfect example of this is windows media player 12's video ui, even more minimilist than MPC and very sexy.

Don't need UI in fullscreen especially when keyboard/mouse hotkeys are the way it should be (as in how MPC does it).

No keyboard hotkeys in WMP.

It doesn't seem to like being installed in Windows 7 default folder. As in... It won't use the INI file, as it can't write to it. It fails to use virtual store or program data folder as an alternative.

Looks like I'll have to use a mobile version of it in a different folde.

Poor testing on this. I know it doesn't say suitable for Windows 7, but it's a little lazy.

The same problem is in Vista - the .ini is stored in the same directory as the .exe, which is a problem in the restricted Program Files folder. It should be stored in %appdata%, instead.

As suggested earlier, you can run the application as admin when you want to change settings. Other options: uncheck 'Store settings to .ini file' (loses the advantage of having a portable settings file), or change the permissions for the Program Files\Media Player Classic directory to allow write access. I take the latter approach. (You could also store the .exe in an unrestricted folder.)