Media Player Classic Home Cinema v1.3.1249

I'll try the 64-bit version of MPC-HC. Hopefully, DXVA will work with the Tron Legacy video. If not, then I have no choice but to use WMP12 for 1080p videos.

I also tried the Apple teaser for TRON, and it gives me about 10-15% CPU usage in MPC-HC (x64) and slightly lower about 9-13% in WMP12. I got an older CPU so ignore the higher CPU use, it's still with DXVA. I also have a HD 4870 card and both players works fine with it, I'm using latest driver Catalyst 9.8.

Note that MPC-HC might be pickier with DXVA, read about that here:

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html

Be sure that you have right renderer, choose "Options" (key O) then "Playback -> Output" and "EVR Custom" (one that should work well for most in Windows 7/Vista).

If you try the x64 version, you will get a warning for all .mov files, I wish they would remove that as it's annoying when you already know it. It is because the x64 version does not support the older quicktime codecs, but all modern trailers on Apple are with H264 so they work anyway.

How to check if MPC-HC is using DXVA:

At the bottom left, it should say "Playing [DXVA]" if the statusbar is on (Ctrl+5 for on/off).

You can also right-click in the movie, choose "Filters -> MPC Video Decoder" and check the info dialog.

Edited by Buio

I figured it out. The 64-bit version of MPC HC will play the 1080p Tron Legacy video with DXVA; however, the 32-bit version won't. I guess it's because I'm using a 64-bit OS (Windows 7 Ultimate). Is there anything the 64-bit version of MPC HC won't play? I want to make it my default media player. Also, it will only make use of 64-bit codecs right?

It has built-in 64-bit codecs covering almost all formats, but you will get that warning about .mov files as I mentioned above. It's annoying as I often watch Apple trailers. You will not be able to watch older .mov files using Apples proprietary codec. It wont use any 32-bit filters/splitters, you have to use 64-bit version if you plan to add any external software.

Just change the .mov extension to .hdmov and MPC won't complain any more.

Interesting whenever I download .MOV files, it auto-renames them to .HDMOV. Firefox + QuickTime Here.

Alright then. I guess I'll use the 64-bit version of MPC HC as my default media player. Thanks for the info, Buio. It's much appreciated.

Just change the .mov extension to .hdmov and MPC won't complain any more.

Correct. Good if you save trailers and watch them several times. I use HD-trailers.net so therefore I always get them saved with .mov filetype from direct download.

-----

By the way, Anaron. If you have an 4870 and watch Apple trailers with MPC-HC and notice that the background looks a bit grey instead of black, right click inside the movie and choose "Shaders" and "16-235->0-255 [sD][HD]". This will use a shader on the GPU and convert to full output color range. Only do it if you notice the grey background/washed out contrast. Then you can shift shaders on/off with a hotkey Ctrl+P. At least for me Apple trailers need this, but other material might not.

Edited by Buio

Apple HD trailers won't work from Apple's site as they restricted it to itunes only for teh time being.

bypass this by using hdtrailers.net and right clicking the HD links and saving as.

By the way, Anaron. If you have an 4870 and watch Apple trailers with MPC-HC and notice that the background looks a bit grey instead of black, right click inside the movie and choose "Shaders" and "16-235->0-255 [sD][HD]". This will use a shader on the GPU and convert to full output color range. Only do it if you notice the grey background/washed out contrast. Then you can shift shaders on/off with a hotkey Ctrl+P. At least for me Apple trailers need this, but other material might not.

Yep, I noticed that after doing a bit of Googling. I enable it whenever I see grayish-blacks instead of actual blacks. It makes it look so much better. I toggle it on/off, depending on the content.

I don't think Apple limits their trailers to 16 - 235.

But, then again, I can seem to download anything from apple website recently. :(

No, I don't think it's inherent. I have noticed it change with OS/drivers too and also depending on what video player/renderer I used. I did test WMP12 and the result was the same, I get a greyish black. But with MPC-HC I can use the Shader to fix it.

Apple HD trailers won't work from Apple's site as they restricted it to itunes only for teh time being.

bypass this by using hdtrailers.net and right clicking the HD links and saving as.

Get the updated Quick Time Alternative Lite, it will allow you to download the Apple HD movies.

I had the same problem aswell MPC-HC wouldn't play .MOV files, but the unusual thing was the Apple logo still appeared in the bottom right hand corner. However, renaming it to .HDMOV worked perfectly, thanks.

Is there a way to use CoreAVC Video Decorder on WMP11?

I had the same problem aswell MPC-HC wouldn't play .MOV files, but the unusual thing was the Apple logo still appeared in the bottom right hand corner. However, renaming it to .HDMOV worked perfectly, thanks.

Is there a way to use CoreAVC Video Decorder on WMP11?

view - options - external filters - add filter - coreavc

I ment Windows Media Player 11. I got it working on Media Player Classic

Here is a thread discussing that topic with WMP in Windows 7. Apparently Microsoft wants WMP to use it's own codecs, stated by a CoreAVC coder here;

http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1850

There are some workarounds it seems, but no easy to use one-for-all solution.

I suggest using another player if you want to use CoreAVC.

Here is a thread discussing that topic with WMP in Windows 7. Apparently Microsoft wants WMP to use it's own codecs, stated by a CoreAVC coder here;

http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1850

There are some workarounds it seems, but no easy to use one-for-all solution.

I suggest using another player if you want to use CoreAVC.

Ok Thanks..

I dnt use WMP but I was just wondering since I already got the codec installed might aswell see how it performs on WMP11.

I know this is going off topic slightly, but is CoreAVC worth the purchase price? I am unsure as to what it actually does as it appears to just decode in software rather than using the GPU etc? Or am I completely missing the point? I generally watch TV episodes and game trailers etc as well as MKV so again unsure if it's what's needed for me?

Personally, I wouldn't buy CoreAVC. The DivX decoder works nearly as well in benchmarks (and in real life I can't tell the difference at all, but I have a relatively powerful machine) and the decoder is free (you only pay if you want to use it to encode). MPC-HC can use DXVA, though, so a directshow filter or codec isn't going to make a difference there. Also, if you get Windows 7 it comes with a built-in h.264 support that seems to work pretty well (and I think Media Player 12 supports DXVA as well, but I'm not sure).

I know this is going off topic slightly, but is CoreAVC worth the purchase price? I am unsure as to what it actually does as it appears to just decode in software rather than using the GPU etc? Or am I completely missing the point? I generally watch TV episodes and game trailers etc as well as MKV so again unsure if it's what's needed for me?

As Darrian said, for most uses there are free alternatives.

But CoreAVC is the fastest H264 software decoder (i.e. when running on CPU). So on a computer without DXVA and a CPU that is on the limit, CoreAVC is the best option for decoding. And they also have some new features using CUDA on NVidia cards, allowing for GPU acceleration even when it's not supported via DXVA for example.