29 members have voted

1. 1. Are you upgrading to Canon 7D

• From XTi, XSi, T1i
    • From 20D, 30D
    • From 40D, 50D
    • Will buy as a backup to 1D series
    • Will buy as a backup to 5D series
    • I am not upgrading

Difficult question to answer right now.. no hands on performance testing, no idea how good this camera actually is. Spec of course is nice, but it's too early to tell if it's worthy of an upgrade or backup just yet!

I have a 40D, and I'm keen on stepping up or having a backup soon in case it goes down again (had a shutter failure before, wasn't pretty) so I'll be watching this space closely.

Not right away. It looks sweet. Only question... WHY 18MP? I'd prefer a cleaner 12 or 14 than 18. Hell, with my 40D, i shoot at the M setting which is about 6MP.

why?

why?

Noise. With the current state of Canon's technology you don't really get a lot of bang-per-buck past about 12-15 megapixels in an APS-C camera. After that the effect of noise from the smaller light-sensitive elements on the image sensor starts to counteract the gains you see form extra resolution.

For typical consumer shooting anything past 8 megapixels is fine so a rule of thumb is to prefer lower megapixels on a given sensor size, for a given generation of technology. It's not a bullet proof rule, but it is good to keep it in mind.

Maybe canon has drastically improved their sensor technology: if that's true then the higher resolution is great. I don't have high hopes for that to be the case.

EDIT: with respect to the original post, I'm saving my pennies for a 5D. This body isn't a big enough improvement over the 50D for me to get excited about it.

I'm torn between upgrading my XSi to a 7D or waiting for the 60D. I really like the 8fps but 18MP?? I thought Canon was taking a step back from the MP with the G11 but I guess not. Another thing that bugs me is I felt Canon should leave the xD cameras for FF designation. What is the major difference between the 7D and 50D now? Hell, what will the differences be between the 7D and 60D? It's just all confusing.

Maybe I'll just grab a 40D off eBay.

Noise. With the current state of Canon's technology you don't really get a lot of bang-per-buck past about 12-15 megapixels in an APS-C camera. After that the effect of noise from the smaller light-sensitive elements on the image sensor starts to counteract the gains you see form extra resolution.

For typical consumer shooting anything past 8 megapixels is fine so a rule of thumb is to prefer lower megapixels on a given sensor size, for a given generation of technology. It's not a bullet proof rule, but it is good to keep it in mind.

Maybe canon has drastically improved their sensor technology: if that's true then the higher resolution is great. I don't have high hopes for that to be the case.

EDIT: with respect to the original post, I'm saving my pennies for a 5D. This body isn't a big enough improvement over the 50D for me to get excited about it.

I only shoot RAW. I've yet to see a "Medium RAW" option.

I only shoot RAW. I've yet to see a "Medium RAW" option.

it's possible your camera doesn't support it and/or his terminology is slightly different. Some of Canons lineup have multiple settings for RAW, for example my 50D has settings for RAW (15 megapixels), sRAW1 (7 or 8 megapixels) and sRAW2 (4 or 5 megapixels). My 450D choices for RAW are limited to RAW and RAW+JPEG.

His choice to shoot at 6 megapixels might have more to do with getting more shots on a card and higher write performance than imagine quality, but there is some gains to be had. sRAW stores more bits per pixel than standard RAW (15 vs 14 in the case of the 50D) so it'll give you a bit more breathing room in post-production. The sRAW settings also interpolate values by using 2x2 or 4x4 grids of picture-elements on the sensor to record the 'average' value of those 4 or 16 sensor elements as a single pixel: it helps to compensate for the higher noise introduced by using smaller elements in high resolution sensors.

Reducing the capture settings of your camera won't save you from the physical limitations of your sensor unless you have a camera that supports something like the above. I also agree with his point about preferring a 'clean' lower megapixel APS-C sensor to a 'noisy' higher megapixel APS-C senor is valid. I'd also prefer canon give up on the megapixel race and focus on addressing their noise issues.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm greatly simplifying the discussion of sraw vs. raw. processing raw files is fairly complicated and not really something I'd consider myself very knowledgeable on. I get the basics, but I've never read documentation for raw formats or tried to parse one myself.

Edited by evn.

18 megapixels has its uses. Equally, advances in gapless microlens arrays and the processing of those twin digic IVs should offset the noise. Yes, it will in theory, be diffraction limited around f/6.3 or so, and yes, in theory, the 7D will probably be hitting the resolution limit of EF-S lenses, but that's just nyquist limit theorycraft. in the real world, it will be just fine :)

• 2 months later...
His choice to shoot at 6 megapixels might have more to do with getting more shots on a card and higher write performance than imagine quality, but there is some gains to be had. sRAW stores more bits per pixel than standard RAW (15 vs 14 in the case of the 50D) so it'll give you a bit more breathing room in post-production. The sRAW settings also interpolate values by using 2x2 or 4x4 grids of picture-elements on the sensor to record the 'average' value of those 4 or 16 sensor elements as a single pixel: it helps to compensate for the higher noise introduced by using smaller elements in high resolution sensors.

For me its simple -- 90% of what I shoot is for work (student newspaper). We print at 160DPI, so a full size image would only need to be 1600px (10 inches) wide and 2728px (17 inches) tall. In the past four years of issues, the only time we have ever used a full page image was of Obama's inauguration for a front page. Even so, 6MP is 3000x2000, above that. I enjoy saving 40% extra space for my shoots.

When I shoot a mass sporting event, sometimes I'll take upward of 4000 photos, then post them online. My largest print size is an 8x10.

For portraits and anything creative I'll shoot in the full 10MP RAW mode.

For me its like... great I have 150 RAW files taking up 2GB of space instead of 300MB. Imaging shooting 4000. Thats 60GB instead of closer to 8GB

Not right away. It looks sweet. Only question... WHY 18MP? I'd prefer a cleaner 12 or 14 than 18. Hell, with my 40D, i shoot at the M setting which is about 6MP.

Shooting at non-native sensor resolutions just scales down the picture which IMO makes no sense...

I have a Canon 30D and still consider this to be an awesome camera, especially with an L lens on the front. Although the specifications continue to impress, I can't help but think Canon keep churning out these cameras to keep the shareholders happy. Surely many of these modifications could be made by firmware upgrade?

I actually own a 7D. Got a sweet deal on it as well. The camera is f'ing amazing to put it simply. ISO noise, after the latest firmware update, from what I can with my pics are nearly non existent (That's at 3200 ISO). Image quality is the best I have seen. I'm hoping on friday I'll give the camera a better test run with what I do, which is concert photography. I know there are some issues with the camera presently, but I personally haven't run into them at all yet.

This is just a random rant regarding the poll.

What if you're NOT a canon shooter...? I'm just really tired if ppl making one sided polls!

its the time of the month again ? :p poll is fine!

• 3 months later...

This is just a random rant regarding the poll.

What if you're NOT a canon shooter...? I'm just really tired if ppl making one sided polls!

Agreed I voted "will not upgrade" :shifty: although a bit late in teh thread

Just ordered mine. Can't wait to get it!

A steal for me at $1100 for the body only

Nice! How did you manage that? it retails for around $1600!

Agreed I voted "will not upgrade" :shifty: although a bit late in teh thread

Nice! How did you manage that? it retails for around $1600!

I'd like to know that too.

• 2 weeks later...