• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can the Logitech x-540 function as a good home theatre system?

Laya Maheshwari    0

I have moved into a new house, and in our new living room, we got a 32" LCT TV from Samsung. To the TV, I have connected my CPU and am hence using it as a monitor to play high-def movies & tv shows and games.

I want to connect a 5.1 speaker system to the PC for better sound quality. So since I am using the PC, I will need multichannel PC speakers and not home theatre (right?).

By the way, the dimensions of my room are approx. 10ft x 14ft. Will these speakers function well in such a room? Will I get the immersive surround effect? Are there any other speakers in such a price range which are better for my use and situation?

EDIT: Ok, just help me out one more time here folks:

If I buy a home theatre system, what will I need to do to connect it to the PC? I heard things like they need different wires and spearte amplifiers. Could someone please explain the process?

Btw, I have Creative Soundblaster Audigy

testroom_9    0

i have the X-530 (same thing basically but no wired remote) and they are awsome - have the same setup as you with the PC connect to the tv and use the X-530 for sound from the PC - works great with surround and really loud when you want it...

i have also added a few switch boxes in line from the PC > speakers so i can select the source to come from any of the TV, PC, PS3, Wii etc

only down side is that i can only do surround from the PC but that really only matters for the PS3 which i can live with being 2.1 as i game on the PC mainly.

one bit of advice would be if you are watching AVi movies then get windows 7 (wmp) as ive found the surround sound works on that better than any other ive tried.

as far as i know home theatre setups wont connect in the same way (3 cables for rear, front, center/sub) so its a bit of a bodge to connect them up to the pc... and if your content is coming primarily from the PC then i's stick with the PC speakers.... plus the crappyest home theater system is more than double the pc one.... you just dont get the big speaker stands(no biggie)

jerzdawg    338
If I buy a home theatre system, what will I need to do to connect it to the PC? I heard things like they need different wires and spearte amplifiers. Could someone please explain the process?

Btw, I have Creative Soundblaster Audigy

It depends on the type of output your Audigy has... off the top of my head it does have a SPDIF output so if you picked up a HTIB you should not have any problems hooking up the PC as long as the receiver has a coaxial input. Also depending on the type of audigy you have you may also have an optical output.. which would also work with most/if not all 5.1 receivers

Razorwing    640

I use the X540 as my home surround sound. They are small speakers but they really pact a punch. The louder you turn them up, the clearer the quality. However, I don't use them for my PC speakers. I only use them for tv,x360 and ps3. So I can just stream movies from my pc to my tv.