[UK] o2 broadband - the package where you're not in "their zone&qu

Unfortunately, it seems i don't qualify for the ?7/month deal. The only one i can get is their ?17/month deal as i'm not in their circle.

No big deal as i'm currently with Zen on ?24.99/month, so a save is a save. Thing is, if i move from Zen, then o2 HAVE to be as good as Zen for it to be worth it. In the 3-4 years i've been with Zen i've had....

* a reliable connection

* no downtime at all

* no cut-offs / disconnections or whatever you'd like to call it

* no need to call on their customer service as everything has ran so smooth

Just looking for a bit of feedback on the package.

As well as that...

Q1 - do you HAVE to use their wireless router? I've a Netgear DG834PN (IIRC) which works fine at the moment.

Q2 - if you do, do you HAVE to use their wireless USB adapters?

OR, can you use your current hardware no problem, OR (again) can you use your current hardware, but you'll suffer some speed loss perhaps?

Thanks

o2 are very reliable. I was on their access package for a while before they enabled my exchange and it has always been very good. You don't have to use their routers/dongles, etc, everything works just as well without.

i remember reading a while ago about o2 reviews & they were generally good

Had a quick browse on reviews last night & there was an increasing amount complaining about being cut off/disconnected. Especially when playing games online.

To be honest you could read reviews but only way to get an honest review is try it yourself. I know its hassle that is not needed but generally O2 are good and I would be suprised if their customer service is crap. The company has gone down in my books recently with prices etc but other than that my service for my iPhone is great. If you don't like O2 then easily Zen will take you back no hassles.

problem there is that past the 30 day moneyback, the contract is 12 month with o2.

Some people have complained of speeds slower than 56k. :| . Bit of a concern as my old ISP - PlusNet were guilty of that (towards the end of my time with them that is). It's not something i'd like to go back to.

As said, a save is a save though & they seem to be just about the best for less than ?24.99/month.

disconnects and things like that are almost always down to the exchange. So while some people might complain everyone else would be having a flawless service. I've been with o2 for probably 2 years now and I can only think of 1 occurrence of downtime, but that was for my whole area rather than ISP related.

hmm encouraging. I didn't know that either.

What's even more appealing is their offer of 3 months free. That'd save me ?75 straight off, as well as the overall saving of around ?85/year.

Am thinking more & more about joining up with o2.

Was you previous service provider using their own equipment in your exchange to provide you with broadband? Ie: was it an LLU service? If not then you will get exactly the same connection as before. When O2 can't provide their 'standard' packages it means they don't have their equipment in you exchange (its not 'unbundled') so they go and use BT wholesales ISAMS and internet connections. So if you previous ISP wasn't LLU then you will be using the self same equipment as you last connection, plugged into thw same ports in the exchange and notice no difference in your service except cost. People have been complaining of slow speeds with the access package but that's because it became over used. O2 have worked hard to improve their network. Its miles better now.

i would not sign with o2 access. far too many unhappy people i've seen on various forums complaining about evening speeds/pings/latency problems.

their LLU is great but obviously that's no use to you. :p

Ive been with O2 for over a year, its the 24mb connection, so not sure which package. Either way it has never been disconnected or lagged or had any downtime.

Customer service is the best i have had with any company. I lost the setup disc, called them, and there was a new one on my doorstep the very next day, and they managed to set me up over the phone without the disc. Simply excellent service from UK helplines.

The connection itself is brilliant, downloading i very frequently get over 1mb/sec download speeds and has been higher.

I think they are brilliant from personal experience, much better than the service providers that i have had before 02

not only that, they have a monthly discount (i think ?5 a month off) if you have an o2 sim card phone...so just get one of their free pay as you go sim cards and register it for a 5 pound discount! not sure if this is still active btw

cheers Maximum. To answer your Q, no the previous & current ISP's weren't/aren't LLU service.

Tests all say my line is 8mb. No chance of a 24mb here lol.

Our area got broadband quite late, so i suspect our exchange will either be unbundled late on, or even not at all.

I've emailed Zen about how to get a MAC key as it's not easy to find on their website. Will wait on their reply & then possibly make the switch

cheers Maximum. To answer your Q, no the previous & current ISP's weren't/aren't LLU service.

Tests all say my line is 8mb. No chance of a 24mb here lol.

Our area got broadband quite late, so i suspect our exchange will either be unbundled late on, or even not at all.

I've emailed Zen about how to get a MAC key as it's not easy to find on their website. Will wait on their reply & then possibly make the switch

I don't know if you know about this site, but it lists all the providers in the area served by the exchange in your local area, along with target dates for planned upgrades.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

No, i wouldnt recommend o2 Access package.

Its the o2 LLC package which is outstanding and has constant good reviews. If you have it good on your current provider and o2 can only offer you 'access' then dont switch as it can be unreliable.

You always have to contact customer service through e-mail or phone to get the MAC address. Usually, they will only do it through the phone (so they can throw some deals at you to try and convince you not to change ISP).

• 1 month later...
I don't know if you know about this site, but it lists all the providers in the area served by the exchange in your local area, along with target dates for planned upgrades.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

BT Wholesale information

ADSL status:

Enabled as of 10/11/2004

ADSL Max status:

Enabled as of 31/03/2006

SDSL status:

Not available

21CN WBC status:

Not available

21CN PSTN switchover target: Q1 2010

That was a bit of what the link showed for the area. Everything else except the ADSL thing was a red X really

I switched over to o2 home access a short while after my last post. Been running it about a month now i think.

Overall it's not been too bad. There's been times where i've thought the speed is a bit slow, but on the whole, it's been worth the save.