"Mandrake 8.1 easier than WinXP" - The Register

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hareball82

i agree, of course i am partial to saying that windows is a pile of crap. :D

"As the Irish famine illustrated, it?s bad karma to rely on a single crop;

so why do the same with software, especially a product so disease-prone as

Windows?" - Richard Forno.

Dazzla

I've had a dual boot with mandrake 8 and ME before but at the moment I have just XP. Will I be able to install Mandrake 8.1 and will it recognise the NTFS partition so it can resize it?

crackhbob

You people can talk smack about Windows all you want. Just don't bash XP when it will kick the compatibility ASS of ANY

Linux distribution, as well as stay up for periods of months at a time while being heavily tasked.

neowin_hipster

The linux kernel has support for NTFS, although I haven't tried it.

First of all, Linux has awesome hardware compatibility. I have some really wierd brand stuff inside, and it recognized it all. Secondly, there are linux servers that have been up for years at a time. Thirdly, Linux has very low system requirements i386. And if you compile a custom kernel its even faster. Fourthly, it supports every chip under the sun. It powers everything from cell phones to supercomputers.

Goku

Dazzla, you should be able to do that... i'm not sure with mandrake.. but with redhat i resized my ntfs patition and installed redhat.. works fine... plus if you gonna enable the ntfs support in the kernel... make sure that you only enable the read only option... the write option will screw your ntfs partition up....

Hatter
Originally posted by crackhbob

You people can talk smack about Windows all you want. Just don't bash XP when it will kick the compatibility ASS of ANY

Linux distribution, as well as stay up for periods of months at a time while being heavily tasked.

I think your member title suits you well.

hareball82
Originally posted by crackhbob

right....you show me a windows server box that's been up longer than a linux box... there's no such thing

shark1

Anyway The Reg is just pure biased information, he has no objectivity, and he never misses an oportunity to talk crap about MS. If you carefully read his site you can hardly find a good comment to say about a company. All he do is complain, but hey it's just my opinion.

Tikimotel

I voted harder, because It won't install on my pentium 200MMX with tseng6100 PCI video card spare PC.

It hangs went it tries to configure my "X" setup, last step in the installation process.

And then the fun starts, login in normal text mode, and without any mandrake knowlegde trying to find what program to start to get the configuration to work...

Btw, still can't run X, so I switched back to my SuSE 7.2 version...

(damn SuSE for not making 7.3 downloadable...)

mortensen

Linux isn't easier to use otherwise more programmers would develop for it and more people would use it. PCWorld DID sell computers with Mandrake pre-installed but they weren't popular and were withdrawn.

As for hardware support, it didn't support my computer out of the box. It ran in 800x600 in 60hz which is of f*ck all use to anyone. When I tried to change resolution the option first of all wasn't in a logical place... but I couldn't change it upto 1024x768 at 75hz.

Windows XP on the other hand installs and works straight away, and even goes into 1024x768@75hz 32bit colour automatically with my dated TNT2.

I don't want to diss Mandrake because I really didn't get to grips with it, but I do know that it isn't easier to use than XP. I also don't see Linux replacing Windows on the average desktop anytime soon.

What the hell is recompiling the kernel... I never figured out how to do that.

One of the reasons I decided to use Linux was because, IMO, it looks prettier than XP... BUT I don't like the Linux internet browsers .

I am fed up with the 'hardcore' bashing that goes with these arguements... you have Windows users who have never used Linux saying it is crap and you have Linux users dissing any product from M$ because they think they're cool by using a non-mainstream OS.

Basically, I think Linux looks pretty but is pretty unfriendly to the new user [read: could be a LOT easier]. Oh, and I couldn't get games to run on Linux either... UT was hard enough to install but I just couldn't figure out all the permissions and right clicking and saying whether a file could run was annoying.

Please someone point me to a nice simple Linux guide that also gives nice screenshots of how to recompile your kernel... I have no intention of putting Mandrake 8.0 back on but I would like to know.

Glowstick

I use two boxes here at work, both the same, P3-866 GF2MX 512mb RAM (Yea, my boss doesn't know that). My Windows box peak uptime was 47 days and my Linux one was 34 days until it crashed.

Linux aint so stable everyone claims. Linux is harder to use, mainly people who know stuff use Linux, a.k.a. the people who don't clutter their systems full with spyware, bugfest shareware and system destroying software and make it crash coz of that.

• 2 weeks later...
Silvorgold

never tried mandrake 8.1, but XP took an hr for me to set up i think, and Mandrake 7.1 takes approx 30-60 min for me usually

• 6 months later...
sailgreg

Mandrake 8.2 is even better :)