Samsung Adds YouTube and MKV, Plans BD Recorders, No 3-D

At IFA, Samsung didn't introduce new Blu-ray players, but it announced that player models BD-P1600, BD-P3600 and BD-P4600 will support YouTube and the MKV file format. Existing players will be able to access those features by upgrading the firmware. The company plans to launch BD recorders in 2010, and is holding a wait-and-see stance towards 3-D.

"We know our consumers want access to multi-platform content, and the addition of YouTube to our Blu-ray players aims to provide this to them - from the comfort of their living room," added Shaw. "Adding MKV file support and YouTube to our range of Blu-ray players is the latest step from Samsung Electronics in providing an unparalleled home-cinema experience for our customers."

Our friends at Bluray-disc.de were disappointed at the lack of Blu-ray announcements and pressed the Samsung representatives for more information. They were told that the absence of new Blu-ray product was deliberate, and that Samsung plans to hold a private showcase in late April or early May 2010. A BD recorder is also in the works.

Regarding 3-D, Samsung says that it is not a major concern for them at the moment. Of course, the company isn't against that technology, but the representatives had no information on the topic.

Source: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3367

Yes, I downloaded the firmware upgrade and it added those features to my BD-P1600. At first, I was happy because it fixed a couple of the issues I was having, but now it added new issues I've never experienced before. Ugh! Samsung doesn't tests these firmware updates before releasing them. From reading other forums and reading the CNET board, everyone is now having issues with Pandora streaming too. I never use that so I can't comment on it, but everyone that uses that feature has encountered problems since the update. This is terrible.

For those of you here that have the BD-P1500 and love it, consider yourselves lucky. The newer 1600 is worse. Soooo many bugs!! And the more expensive 3600 isn't any better. It shares the same issues since it has the exact same video processing chip as the 1600.

I think a wireless networked media PC setup with a remote control is a far, far, more flexible and cost efficient solution. No need to wait for features like YouTube, MKV support etc if you just run a media center with e.g. Plex.

Edit: Forgot Plex is OS X only, but there are other options. My point is really that this kind of hardware + software is super cheap these days, and do a lot.

Edited by Jugalator

Thats on the fly transcoding, You may aswell just mux that garbage to the MPEG4 container with MKV2VOB and save your cpu cycle's for something more useful.

Kind of kills two birds with the same stone considering MP4 playback is natively supported on Vista and hundreds of thousands of players allready.