[Feedback needed] Atlas, the next version of Neowin

Really cool looking!

That's all I have to add. Keep up the great work. :D

Just think, Dave isn't even finished.. and not to mention Rob hasn't put his awesome spin on it.

I think the new layout will go over well with the rest of the members :yes:

Just think, Dave isn't even finished.. and not to mention Rob hasn't put his awesome spin on it.

I think the new layout will go over well with the rest of the members :yes:

Speaking of that... Rob if you see this get busy on the JS :p

Not an Critic but that looks really nice, although as mentioned by others I too dont like the color, the current color would look really nice.

Thanks Neobond for this exclusive preview (Y) you make us feel special yay!

First off, I would like to thank Neobond for giving the subscribers the opportunity to see Atlas. I really do like it, I would have to agree that its a nice evolutionary step up from Finity.

A few points of feedback:

1. I hope you at least include the drop down menus on the header tabs on the forum theme if not both(frontpage/forum). Since I don't see them in the screenshot. But having not seen the forum version of Atlas yet we will have to wait and see what all is being done there.

2. I hope you add back the viewed/digg tabs back to poll box or somewhere..

3. I think there needs to be alittle more polish around the tabs on the community activity box. Not enough padding between the top of the tab and the top of the box, maybe..

4. I will have to jon the bandwagon around the background color choice.. It would be fine if the baby blue was just a tab darker.. To make the boxes stand out alittle more from the background.

5. I think the articles should have a softer font.

6. The affiliates box should get alittle sprucing up. You might want it took alittle less flashy, but maybe small versions of their logos beside them might work or something.. Something other than just their names.

In a response to the footer needing to be centered. While I tend to like certain things centered. That is not one of them. I don't mind the way the footer text is left aligned. While I think the way its right aligned in Finity looks alittle better. I doubt the small neowin logo, which I do tend to like, would look as good right aligned. So keeping it lefted aligned would be the only option if you want to use the small logo. I really do like the color of the footer links bar though.

First off, I would like to thank Neobond for giving the subscribers the opportunity to see Atlas. I really do like it, I would have to agree that its a nice evolutionary step up from Finity.

A few points of feedback:

1. I hope you at least include the drop down menus on the header tabs on the forum theme if not both(frontpage/forum). Since I don't see them in the screenshot. But having not seen the forum version of Atlas yet we will have to wait and see what all is being done there.

2. I hope you add back the viewed/digg tabs back to poll box or somewhere..

3. I think there needs to be alittle more polish around the tabs on the community activity box. Not enough padding between the top of the tab and the top of the box, maybe..

4. I will have to jon the bandwagon around the background color choice.. It would be fine if the baby blue was just a tab darker.. To make the boxes stand out alittle more from the background.

5. I think the articles should have a softer font.

6. The affiliates box should get alittle sprucing up. You might want it took alittle less flashy, but maybe small versions of their logos beside them might work or something.. Something other than just their names.

In a response to the footer needing to be centered. While I tend to like certain things centered. That is not one of them. I don't mind the way the footer text is left aligned. While I think the way its right aligned in Finity looks alittle better. I doubt the small neowin logo, which I do tend to like, would look as good right aligned. So keeping it lefted aligned would be the only option if you want to use the small logo. I really do like the color of the footer links bar though.

1. There will only be one drop down, which will mimic the current control panel tab.

2. The digg'd stories thing no one used, as for the most viewed, we have another way of showing those.

A comment about wrapping content to the width of the window as opposed to a static size:

I could be wrong, but perhaps that static size is there to minimize the amount of horizontal scanning done by our eyes. Less eye work = we're able to read articles faster without the possibly of losing your spot in the article.

On the forums, it's probably less of a big deal as most of the time, forum posts don't contain a lot of text.

Suggestions and comments.

:rofl: at the checkmarks and crosses on logos

Edited by rm20010

Its actually to have more control over how the content is displayed. The ability is there, if someone really wants it fluid they can install a crappy firefox plugin and change the width of #container.

I like the theme. I think it makes much better use of space, especially at the top where currently there is an add and if you're a suscriber2 then it's just a bunch of blank space there.

That's probably been pointed out, but yeah...didn't read the entire thread. :o

A question though, will we have the option to make it stretch to the width of our browser window like we can with the current page?

Yeah I onlu found this thread today and I must say that new design is beautiful. But why go back to the faded blue when the forums have just been updated to a vivid blue? :huh:

Yeah I onlu found this thread today and I must say that new design is beautiful. But why go back to the faded blue when the forums have just been updated to a vivid blue? :huh:

There will be 3 colour options at first, see if you like this more:

post-98-1253262063_thumb.jpg

I must say, im not too stoked about the font. I feel like im browseing some "premade spam site" that wants me to buy into somthing. GET RICH QUICK. (Where the News Items are Listed Horizontally throughout the page length) That was my very first thought when I opened the image in a larger screen.

But then again the font does match well with the layout.

Thats just my 2 cents, even thoe the first remark isn't a big killer. However, I think its a improvement just in general.

(ie: not sure if there are more then one image posted, but I went by page 1)

I really like the darker blue header that you showed Tom.. Is that just the header that is different or the whole site?

what do you mean, the rest of the page will be that color, not just the header

I just asked if any other colors changed with the separate header color option.. I doubt the whole page will be that color since the rest of the page isnt the same as the header in the image on the first page..