Nikon D5000 vs D90

ok, I did a topic about this some time ago, more in general but I'm getting one of these in the very near future. It's decision time.

The nikon D5000 and the D90 are very similar, D90 is a bit faster, better prism and better build quality. It also has an internal stabilizer for older lenses but I've heard that doesn't really mattter since I'd buy a lens with an IS because that seems to be better. It's also a little better in the hand, has a slightly larger screen with a better resolution.

The D5000 does have some gadgets with the video and HDMI-portal ( which is a gimmick, I know ) and the pivoting screen. Problem is I've heard it's having some reiliability issues and has been called back 2 times.

On the other hand, there's the price. If I get them with the 18-105mm VR lens

- D5000: ?766, 67

- D90: ?945, 63

That's a pretty hefty pricedifference, what do you guys think, it the D90 worth it?

How about D300? I am pretty sure you can find used for the price of D90. Surely, there's no video.. but who needs that when it's that crappy.

because it's not. sure it won't replace a camcorder but you can do awesome stuff with it.

but if you could get a D300 for the D90 price yeah, that'd probably be the choice, but personally I'd be suspicius about used camera gear at that price.

How about D300? I am pretty sure you can find used for the price of D90. Surely, there's no video.. but who needs that when it's that crappy.

no, still pretty more expensive. Seriously, don't do this to me. I've been considering several camera's for weeks and weeks and I finally got it down to 2. So, IYO, which would be best, is the D90 worth the ?200 premium?

One thing D90 has that the d5000 doesn't is the ability to control off camera flash units w/ it's pop up flash using CLS. You may not need it now, but if you're serious about photography, I'm sure there will come a point where you start wanting to get into off camera lighting.

It also has an internal stabilizer for older lenses but I've heard that doesn't really mattter since I'd buy a lens with an IS because that seems to be better.

You're joking right? Neither canon nor nikon puts stabilization in their bodies. It's lenses only. And Nikon calls it VR.

Used D300 bodies are going for ~$1200, not $900.

And yes, the video is crappy. I own a D90; I know what I'm talking about. It's useless unless you have it on a tripod.

One thing D90 has that the d5000 doesn't is the ability to control off camera flash units w/ it's pop up flash using CLS. You may not need it now, but if you're serious about photography, I'm sure there will come a point where you start wanting to get into off camera lighting.

You're joking right? Neither canon nor nikon puts stabilization in their bodies. It's lenses only. And Nikon calls it VR.

Used D300 bodies are going for ~$1200, not $900.

And yes, the video is crappy. I own a D90; I know what I'm talking about. It's useless unless you have it on a tripod.

yeah, I heard that already, misread something, it's an AF-engine in the D90, for older lenses, but since I don't have lenses hehe doesn't really matter.

So; happy with it? Would you still pick it over the D5000.

I've doubted a long time not to take a 450D or a 500D, don't want to start a Nikon-Canon war here, I know the fanbases are strong haha. The EOS 500D does look strong though, it's a bit cheaper. Maybe somebody's got some advice on that one? ( yeah I know, I just added another one to the shortlist )

Canon/nikon wars are so stupid. They both do everything equally well. It comes down to what you like best and how the GUIs work and how they feel in your hands.

I'd definitely pick the D90 over the D5000, but that's because I'm an advanced amateur, or at least I call myself one. The D5000 is lacking features I use every day. If my D90 broke today, I'd be getting a D300s.

You mean filming? That's a gimmick, not a deciding factor

if you where replying to me, no.

Bracketing, or auto bracketing, takes 3 photos in succession at different exposures, from +/- 0.3 (or somethign, not going to reach a whole metere to check :p) and up to +/- 2. Which is very useful for taking HDR composition pics withou minor camera movements in between.

of course if you didn't know that, you're probably not likely to take many HDRs, but then again, you may want to in the future. Anwyay as I said, I'm not even sure if the 5000 has bracketing or not, but I don't think so.

Does the 5000 have bracketing ? if you're going to do any form of HDR in the future, bracketing is very handy.

Bracketing is just a technique. On most cameras it is just a simplified function for bracketing, which is quite handy actually. But if you don't have one, doesn't mean you can't do anything it does.

Manually bracketing is so easy :/

but auto is a lot more convenient, and faster, wich may be of importance at times.

and no matter what tripod you have, every time you touch the camera to change settings, risk changing the position ever so slightly, and as anyone knows, even microsocip changes, turn really big at a distance.

While manual bracketing -is- very easy (and I do it manually most of the time myself), auto bracketing is a very handy feature to have when you are either using an unstable tripod or are caught short without one and need to improvise by putting the camera on a wall or something to get the shots. If you plan on doing HDR it's feature you'll find yourself using.

I'm pretty sure he's basing his purchase on other things besides bracketing :/

Hell, even my D50 does bracketing.

D40, D60, D3000 don't do bracketing.

Oh, and I wouldn't buy a camera without a DoF preview either. Again, it's not necessary with digital cameras, but it's sure nice to have

I'll be getting it in the next few hours, so I'll let you know which one it became. Still haven't chosen with 100% certainty but still leaning towards the D90. Found a nice comparison chart between the D90 and the D5000 with the EOS 500D and it clearly was better. Also I like the extra dedicated buttons, no need to browse through menu's. Don't mind the lack of Mega pixels compared to the Canon, that's not everything.

Don't mind the lack of Mega pixels compared to the Canon, that's not everything.

This. Nowadays megapixels are just a numbers game, unless you're out shooting for billboards there's no real reason to buy based on more MP. You will be very happy with the D90 :)