Avira Prenium Security Suite THE BEST!

fix-this!
Out of curiosity what were the specs of that machine?

it's an older machine, not too sure of the specs...but installed avira free + comodo and the speed was back immediately.

watchthisspace

Avast + Windows Firewall for me, don't feel I need anything else :)

mulkman

Ive also been a ESET user for past couple of months, it's GREAT on Windows 7 but it has a small lag!

After trying Avira Premium Suite I was AMAZED! Plus it tops the VB100 list as being the BEST at detecting malware

look: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02

All ventors try to pass that award! Yes Avira passed with plying colours

Avira is for me now, after using ESET for around 2 years! Give it a TRY!

Riggers

Most of the time there is another "Test" which can show differant aspects. I`m not saying Avira is bad at detection, but as a suite according to Matousec it isn`t the best.

look: Matousec

t_r_nelson

mulkman, are you getting paid by Avira? This is the second threat you've started on this. And you're pushing the Premium Suite.

+warwagon
mulkman, are you getting paid by Avira? This is the second threat you've started on this. And you're pushing the Premium Suite.

He also puts a puke face next to every one of his threads. Which is strange.

t_r_nelson

Then why the two threads? Wouldn't one have sufficed?

mulkman

Was trying to edit the first post in this topic didnt work

Circaflex
Personal experiences indicate that anything is better than a resource hogging Norton product.

let me guess you used norton back in the win98 and 2000 days? norton has changed drastically and is no longer a resource hog.

+warwagon
let me guess you used norton back in the win98 and 2000 days? norton has changed drastically and is no longer a resource hog.

Actually back then it was still good. Their last great version was 2003. It went to **** for the next 6 years until version 2009

gregrocker
I use avast free version . The only virus protection that has not given me any problems.

Plus The Viurs database has been updated message reminds non computer users that its being updated :)

You can turn that voice off in the Sound schemes in Avast control panel.

Funny, I once tried to override AVAST while it was warning me not to open a torrent file because I suspected it was a false positive (it wasn't). That booming voice seemed to argue with me over and over about not downloading until I turned off Real Time Protection. BINGO: virus. Learned my lesson that Avast doesn't make mistakes EVER!

t_r_nelson

Well, I thought I'd give it a try. So far, it's a fail.

I've been trying to update automatically, but it never starts to download anything. I ended up going to MajorGeeks.com and getting a direct link to their latest update at Avira. And even that download sucked. The server kept timing out.

After three server timeouts at various times during the 28MB download, I was finally able to get the file from Avira. Just for ****s & giggles, I tried the automatic updates, again, to see if it would tell me anything. Nothing.

I'll let it run through the weekend and see if anything changes. But if it can't update properly, then there is no sense in using it.

+warwagon

If anyone is interested a guy by the name of Mrizo does a BUNCH of prevention tests. He loads an AV inside vmware and then starts to browse to 10 different bad websites and see's how the AV is at preventing the malware from downloading and installing.

They are very fun to watch, for me at lease.

I just got done watching one about Avira. it was doing pretty good up until the end were it let a nasty through and infected the machine.

Avast didn't do so great either.

Now Microsoft Security Essentials did REALLY good. I think it was 10 for 10.

Nod32 also did really well. He only tested 5 URL's with Nod but it blocked all of them

Riggers

Matt`s tests are fun if not comprehensive, at least it helps show that putting your faith in [insert name here] Anti-Virus software can be a lottery. None of them will get everything, allthough MSE for a Beta sure is promising, i`m testing it now and it`s not missed many!

Minifig

I'm very curious how the OP tested all the virus scanners.

Isn't anyone else?

morphen

hm..

i still go for mse + windows7 firewall + router firewall :)

free and close-to-none memoryfootprint/cputime.

majortom1981
If anyone is interested a guy by the name of Mrizo does a BUNCH of prevention tests. He loads an AV inside vmware and then starts to browse to 10 different bad websites and see's how the AV is at preventing the malware from downloading and installing.

They are very fun to watch, for me at lease.

I just got done watching one about Avira. it was doing pretty good up until the end were it let a nasty through and infected the machine.

Avast didn't do so great either.

Now Microsoft Security Essentials did REALLY good. I think it was 10 for 10.

Nod32 also did really well. He only tested 5 URL's with Nod but it blocked all of them

Come on with avast it wasnt able to move the virus to the chest but was able to delete this virus totally from the system and he said it failed? WHAT!!! since when i deleting a viurs off a machine result as the test failing? Also with the first test with avast since nothing came up he didnt even check the logs to see if it blocked it at all.

Those tests mean nothing.

Heck nod32 v4 should fail instantly because it causes servers to hang . thats basically its own virus (dont belive me go to nod32's forums and see for yourself).

Night Prowler
Hi,

After testing several AntiVirus/Firewall Security suites for Windows 7

Kasperspy Internet Security 2010 ***

Zonealarm Internet Security 2010 ****

Norton Internet Security 2010 **

Avira Prenium Security Suite 9 *****

ESET Smart Security 4.0.487 *****

Have come to an conclusion that the best security suite out their at moment is Avira Premium Security Suite 9, unlike other security suites it's very fast and effective. As an added bonus it also has anti bot protection, which is very important

I was actually disappointed with kasperspy internet security 2010, it really slows down the system and sometimes makes it unuable.

The second BEST out their has to be ESET Smart Security, which also hass a very low memory frontprinttt

My advice give Avira Prenium Security Suite 9 here and ESET Smart Security here a try you will be suprised!

Let me know what you think?

And this is based on what facts? What, you installed each one? My 12 year old can install, remove and install the next. You need to leave this to the people that can REALLY give a valid opinion on what AV is rated. You know, there ARE organizations that do just that, and controlled environments are used to conduct real tests with systems that have not been cluttered with crap. I just don't get the point to your topic, unless you work for Avira...

BTW, I use MSE and it's the best . My system has never been infected, it has not crashed, and MSE has not slowed my system down.

Riggers
I'm very curious how the OP tested all the virus scanners.

Isn't anyone else?

It`s has a low memory footprint and came top in some test, what more do you wan`t :rofl: /sarcasm

Ashmir

I actually prefer Norton over Avira. Avira has a lot of false positives and IMHO Norton is more accurate and more silent.

mattbonner

i switched from kaspersky --> avira --> norton

im pretty happy with NIS2010 at the moment

cropcircles
Personal experiences indicate that anything is better than a resource hogging Norton product.

This might have been true with Symantec/Norton's previous products and I will agree it was a resource hog and difficult to get off your system. Since the 2009 internet security system and now 2010 it is very nice and top rated by PC Mag. Low on resources and of the ones I've tried it is the lease intrusive on my system. I've tried Kaspersky, BitDefender, and am currently using MSE. I'm going to give Avira a try and see what the buzz is about.

naquis
I use the free version of Avira along with the default Vista firewall. I find this combination a great solution for anyone with a bit of common sense when using the internet.

If common sense is so common then everyone would have it. :)

+warwagon
Come on with avast it wasnt able to move the virus to the chest but was able to delete this virus totally from the system and he said it failed? WHAT!!! since when i deleting a viurs off a machine result as the test failing? Also with the first test with avast since nothing came up he didnt even check the logs to see if it blocked it at all.

Those tests mean nothing.

Heck nod32 v4 should fail instantly because it causes servers to hang . thats basically its own virus (dont belive me go to nod32's forums and see for yourself).

Sorry I forgot to post part 2 of the avast video