Apple a joke lately?

They refreshed their entire iPod line, released new iTunes and released OS 3.1 and people are acting like they haven't done anything. There were no "groundbreaking" innovations but those type of products are released every few years, not at every Apple event

False. The iPod Classic was not refreshed. Its the only product that remotely intrests me (it needs to have the best DSP to intrest me).

picard_facepalm.jpg

Now that was a silly question, wasn't it?

More like a silly answer... because most people watch Blu-Ray movies in their laptops all the time. Oh wait, they don't.

False. The iPod Classic was not refreshed.

Yes it was, they changed the screen (for worse) and bumped up the capacity.

False. The iPod Classic was not refreshed. Its the only product that remotely intrests me (it needs to have the best DSP to intrest me).

Like Blu-ray as an example. Apple have always touted that they put the best in their laptops, and that they like to be on the cutting edge. It's been 3 years since Blu-ray was released, just over 2 years since the HD-DVD vs Blu-ray war finished, so why we still waiting for a laptop with built-in Blu-ray support? And not just that, their is no Blu-ray support in iTunes as far as I'm aware of so playing Blu-ray media would be quite difficult since you 1) Need the correct drivers 2) A media player to support the DRM playback and 3) An actual ****ing Blu-ray player.

ffs Apple.

More like a silly answer... because most people watch Blu-Ray movies in their laptops all the time. Oh wait, they don't.

What's wrong with having a blu-ray drive. He uses it so he has one. Just because most people don't use doesn't negate the fact that some people do.

Most people don't need a $300 graphics card in their desktop, should we get rid of those as well? Heck, most people don't use desktops at all, maybe we should get rid of all desktops? Screw the people that want them! Most people don't!

Apple has become more arrogant and obnoxious than Sony ever dreamed of being.

You obviously didn't grow up in the 80's and 90's. No one will ever beat Sony in that department. Ever.

Still, though, I've been increasingly unhappy with Apple since the iPhone's release. The name change from Apple Computer, Inc. to Apple, Inc. really sums up the problem I have with them. They're becoming too much of a mass-market consumer-electronics company and not enough of a geek/techie company.

I know the iPhone is their latest darling, but their PCs and OS are very well-built and it's a shame to see them pushed aside for gadgetry.

Shouldn't surprise you. When Jobs, back before he rejoined with Apple, said that if he ever returned he'd milk the Apple userbase in order to create a new product line (iPod)...that right there should tell you exactly how he, and Apple, view their computer customers. Basically, the Apple computer owners are lemmings that will buy anything, and Jobs would use this in order to fund something with more wide-range appeal. Now, the iPod is pretty much an entity in and of itself, and Apple computers are still the choice for effeminate nerds that giggle when their PC matches their track lighting and drapes.

I'd rather have the choice of whether I want something, instead of an all-knowing company deciding that their meager fanbase doesn't need a certain feature. Call me a fan of options, I suppose. Of course, when Apple finally does add blu-ray drives, they'll act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm sure.

What's wrong with having a blu-ray drive. He uses it so he has one. Just because most people don't use doesn't negate the fact that some people do.

Most people don't need a $300 graphics card in their desktop, should we get rid of those as well? Heck, most people don't use desktops at all, maybe we should get rid of all desktops? Screw the people that want them! Most people don't!

You misread me...

There's nothing wrong with having one, all I'm saying is that nowadays it's not a necessity on a laptop.

I'd rather have the choice of whether I want something, instead of an all-knowing company deciding that their meager fanbase doesn't need a certain feature. Call me a fan of options, I suppose. Of course, when Apple finally does add blu-ray drives, they'll act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'm sure.

Everyone has, you don't have to buy a laptop from Apple.

If I want one I'll buy one that has it, Apple isn't the only player in town...

Apple computers are still the choice for effeminate nerds that giggle when their PC matches their track lighting and drapes.

I'm all about having good-looking computers, but going out and buying them based solely on appearance strikes me as foolish. I mean, I bought my Macs for the specs and the software available on them, and they also happened to look nice (though they don't match my decor, but oh well). I could always mod them or mod some of my Linux boxes to match the way my home is decorated, but that generally happens AFTER I decide what guts are going inside the cases.

Apple's software is just better than Microsoft's; period. You can compare similar software of the two companies to each other, and Apple wins every time. For example: iPhone OS destroys Windows Mobile; Leopard destroys Vista & XP; iTunes destroys Windows Media Player; and let's not even mention how Internet Explorer fails to come close to Safari.

I use both PCs and Macs; but would like to see more Apple software compatible with Windows.

Actually for people with a Laptop that has either a TV out, or HDMI port, using a laptop to playback blu ray is a pretty reasonable option.

You misread me...

There's nothing wrong with having one, all I'm saying is that nowadays it's not a necessity on a laptop.

laptops are not a necessity either, but they are nice to have.

Actually for people with a Laptop that has either a TV out, or HDMI port, using a laptop to playback blu ray is a pretty reasonable option.

this. i have a laptop with blu-ray & HDMI out that I use to play movies on - through tv and on the laptop. i also have a ps3, but it stays in one place. i find the quality to be noticeably greater than dvd even when viewed on a laptop.

Yes yes... and BD is only good for movies. :rolleyes:

I have blu-ray at home so it would be nice to have the option to take my films away with me and watch them.

iTunes 9 runs pretty damn well on Windows (maybe not as smoothly as Windows Media Player, but we are comparing a product made by the creators of Windows and a product made by a competing software and hardware manufacturer) and runs perfectly on OS X.

That's a lot more than I can say for WMP, which runs well on Windows (except is missing a lot of things I like in iTunes) and runs like crap in OS X considering it doesn't even exist anymore and wasn't much of a product when it did exist.

iTunes wins, I'd say. ;)

what is WMP missing compared to iTunes? the store - I'll give you that. But latest WMP12 is at par if not better than iTunes.

- Sync with any damn usb player/drive

- Stream music over network and internet

- Built-in support for most common codecs (WM, H264, AAC, MP3, XVid, Divx)

These I listed off the top of my head.

iTunes 9 runs pretty damn well on Windows (maybe not as smoothly as Windows Media Player, but we are comparing a product made by the creators of Windows and a product made by a competing software and hardware manufacturer) and runs perfectly on OS X.

That's a lot more than I can say for WMP, which runs well on Windows (except is missing a lot of things I like in iTunes) and runs like crap in OS X considering it doesn't even exist anymore and wasn't much of a product when it did exist.

iTunes wins, I'd say. ;)

Yo, Elliott, I love you and I'mma let you finish, but TEX4S is one of the best trollers on this site.

That being said:

iTunes 9 runs horribly on windows. I've tested on my laptop, and my computer (though that will be getting rebuilt soon) and it's probably the most horrible media software on windows, well unless you count Realplayer.

I'd also like to know what iTunes has that WMP doesn't? I don't even use WMP. I use iTunes... only because I've gotten so use to it... and Foobar, and I still know you're talking out your ass.

There is a reason for Microsoft pulling the support off OS X, and it's similar to what you said. It wasn't really a product on OS X. That market was already taken over by iTunes and I forget the other media player's name. Help me out here.

Anyways, so if there is no market, and Microsoft is losing money because of it, why continue working on it?

Yo, Elliott, I love you and I'mma let you finish, but TEX4S is one of the best trollers on this site.

That being said:

iTunes 9 runs horribly on windows. I've tested on my laptop, and my computer (though that will be getting rebuilt soon) and it's probably the most horrible media software on windows, well unless you count Realplayer.

I'd also like to know what iTunes has that WMP doesn't? I don't even use WMP. I use iTunes... only because I've gotten so use to it... and Foobar, and I still know you're talking out your ass.

There is a reason for Microsoft pulling the support off OS X, and it's similar to what you said. It wasn't really a product on OS X. That market was already taken over by iTunes and I forget the other media player's name. Help me out here.

Anyways, so if there is no market, and Microsoft is losing money because of it, why continue working on it?

Har har

Sorry you're having trouble with it, but I have iTunes 9 installed in Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro and it works just fine for me. It's not the best performing piece of software on Windows but it doesn't take up many resources (out of 4GB of RAM, I'm not really going to miss 80-100MB) and it plays music and movies perfectly.

And well, let's see: WMP doesn't have Genius capabilities, it doesn't have an "iTunes DJ"-like feature, it doesn't have any AAC playback bundled, it doesn't have a store as nice or as easy to use, IMO, as the iTunes Music Store, it doesn't have an automatic "find duplicates" feature, and it doesn't have a "Column Browser" like the one in iTunes that lets you quickly drill down to Genre, Artist, Album, etc. There are more. Some of them I can't think off of the top of my head and others are more because I use Apple products (iPhone, AirPort Express) and I don't expect WMP to support those.

I know the Zune software has Genius capabilities but, IMO, it has an awful interface. I tried out the Zune software for 20 minutes with the free Zune I got from Microsoft and uninstalled it pretty promptly.

There are features I like in WMP, like the auto-tagging by the actual audio of the song (like Shazam) and sharing over the internet, but since I don't pirate music anymore (not like pirated music is poorly tagged anymore anyway) and I have an iPhone for music on the go those wouldn't make me switch over to WMP.

And WMP on OS X did have a place: for a while, it was the only way to play WMA/WMV files (as awful as it was). Flip4Mac filled the niche when Microsoft decided it was going to flat-out stop supporting its WMP for OS X. Microsoft eventually decided it was just easier to buy up Flip4Mac and work from there. Unfortunately, that move caused Flip4Mac to stagnate (it hasn't been updated in forever), and it doesn't exactly work perfectly in its current state. I'm just glad I'm running into less and less WMV files nowadays.

Yes it was, they changed the screen (for worse) and bumped up the capacity.

Was again wrong. It was released as a 160GB version, they dropped it to a 120GB version and now they rereleased it as a 160GB version like it was something new :laugh:

Was again wrong. It was released as a 160GB version, they dropped it to a 120GB version and now they rereleased it as a 160GB version like it was something new :laugh:

:laugh: Well, to be fair, the "new" 160GB iPod Classic is the "thin" version, unlike the previous 160GB, which was about .12" thicker.

Windows Media Player is incredible compared to the spreadsheet iTunes is. You know, I think it's hillarious how as soon as media streaming is available in Windows Media Player 11, Home Sharing is the new feature in iTunes 9.

iTunes has had streaming for ages, Home Sharing allows you to copy music and applications to 5 other computers in your network. It's completely different from streaming.

iTunes has had streaming for ages, Home Sharing allows you to copy music and applications to 5 other computers in your network. It's completely different from streaming.

That feature is already available on Zune though. You just redownload your purchases. You can what you purchased and see what is not on your computer and download it. Apple is just trying to save more and more bandwidth by making it so they just say what computer can play what without having to give you the item to authorize.

The issue I have seen with Apple is purely because of their innovation. Apple when they release something like the Itouch/Iphone or any big Technological advance its a big deal, putting them a leap infront of the competition. However there is only so far you can push these advances.

Basically what I am saying, is that the Iphone for instance was a big leap for Mobile Devices, technology much better than anything on the market, but now that hype is since been lost either because of competition or the "wow" just isn't there anymore.

That feature is already available on Zune though. You just redownload your purchases. You can what you purchased and see what is not on your computer and download it. Apple is just trying to save more and more bandwidth by making it so they just say what computer can play what without having to give you the item to authorize.

Home Sharing allows you to share and pull any song/movie/podcast/audiobook/application/etc. across your LAN, not just purchased ones, and it's able to sync those items. When a library has added more music since the last time you've connected to it, if you've set your settings to pull new items, it'll start finding the new stuff and automatically pull it over.

Apple's software is just better than Microsoft's; period. You can compare similar software of the two companies to each other, and Apple wins every time.

Are games software? :shifty: