Apple a joke lately?

That feature is already available on Zune though. You just redownload your purchases. You can what you purchased and see what is not on your computer and download it. Apple is just trying to save more and more bandwidth by making it so they just say what computer can play what without having to give you the item to authorize.

That feature is completely different. I can also have five computers running my purchased songs, I've been able to do that in iTunes for years. This is about sharing with other accounts, not my own.

Even though PC Laptops have had blue-ray drives for years the day Apple announces blue-ray in their laptop line at a conference the crowd will heavily applauded. People will then think of this new blu-ray support as revolutionary and the best thing since slice bread. It will then be all the buzz.

Even though PC Laptops have had blue-ray drives for years the day Apple announces blue-ray in their laptop line at a conference the crowd will heavily applauded. People will then think of this new blu-ray support as revolutionary and the best thing since slice bread. It will then be all the buzz.

Thanks but not...

I'll rather not have a bluray on my laptop, and if you really want it go and get an external one.

The whole point of laptops are to be mobile and have an extended battery life. I'll rather copy the movie on my desktop and move it to my laptop harddrive from where I can play it than play it out of the laptop "BluRay" drive.

Anyhow.... BluRay is still expensive and that will add an additional cost to the macbooks.

Thanks but not...

I'll rather not have a bluray on my laptop, and if you really want it go and get an external one.

The whole point of laptops are to be mobile and have an extended battery life. I'll rather copy the movie on my desktop and move it to my laptop harddrive from where I can play it than play it out of the laptop "BluRay" drive.

Anyhow.... BluRay is still expensive and that will add an additional cost to the macbooks.

You must love netbooks; the best portability AND battery life... where's Apple's?

Apple's software is just better than Microsoft's; period. You can compare similar software of the two companies to each other, and Apple wins every time. For example: iPhone OS destroys Windows Mobile; Leopard destroys Vista & XP; iTunes destroys Windows Media Player; and let's not even mention how Internet Explorer fails to come close to Safari.

I use both PCs and Macs; but would like to see more Apple software compatible with Windows.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That comment made my day.

You must love netbooks; the best portability AND battery life... where's Apple's?

Nope I dont like netbooks. I'll rather get a itouch or zune.

Performance wise netbooks will never match laptops.

I use to have a 12.1 inch dell and few months ago I got the MacBook pro13 inch and I love it.

It's all I wanted. Long battery life, light and sturdy, and can take it on a 6 hour flight without having to recharge a battery.

Best buy I've ever made.

Cheers

Nope I dont like netbooks. I'll rather get a itouch or zune.

Performance wise netbooks will never match laptops.

I use to have a 12.1 inch dell and few months ago I got the MacBook pro13 inch and I love it.

It's all I wanted. Long battery life, light and sturdy, and can take it on a 6 hour flight without having to recharge a battery.

Best buy I've ever made.

Cheers

True. Though the new Dell inspron 11z is a great bridge between laptops and netbootks, plus it plays HD.

Har har

Sorry you're having trouble with it, but I have iTunes 9 installed in Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro and it works just fine for me. It's not the best performing piece of software on Windows but it doesn't take up many resources (out of 4GB of RAM, I'm not really going to miss 80-100MB) and it plays music and movies perfectly.

And well, let's see: WMP doesn't have Genius capabilities, it doesn't have an "iTunes DJ"-like feature, it doesn't have any AAC playback bundled, it doesn't have a store as nice or as easy to use, IMO, as the iTunes Music Store, it doesn't have an automatic "find duplicates" feature, and it doesn't have a "Column Browser" like the one in iTunes that lets you quickly drill down to Genre, Artist, Album, etc. There are more. Some of them I can't think off of the top of my head and others are more because I use Apple products (iPhone, AirPort Express) and I don't expect WMP to support those.

I know the Zune software has Genius capabilities but, IMO, it has an awful interface. I tried out the Zune software for 20 minutes with the free Zune I got from Microsoft and uninstalled it pretty promptly.

There are features I like in WMP, like the auto-tagging by the actual audio of the song (like Shazam) and sharing over the internet, but since I don't pirate music anymore (not like pirated music is poorly tagged anymore anyway) and I have an iPhone for music on the go those wouldn't make me switch over to WMP.

And WMP on OS X did have a place: for a while, it was the only way to play WMA/WMV files (as awful as it was). Flip4Mac filled the niche when Microsoft decided it was going to flat-out stop supporting its WMP for OS X. Microsoft eventually decided it was just easier to buy up Flip4Mac and work from there. Unfortunately, that move caused Flip4Mac to stagnate (it hasn't been updated in forever), and it doesn't exactly work perfectly in its current state. I'm just glad I'm running into less and less WMV files nowadays.

On the flip side of this

• iTunes looks horribly out of place in Windows Vista and 7
  • The media library functionality is crap. When I download a song from a non-itunes store, or rip it from a CD it takes ages to show in iTunes, yet appears almost instantly in WMP, even if I rip it with something else
  • iTunes takes ages to start in Windows, WMP12 starts in a fraction of the time

And you are actually wrong, WMP in Windows 7 actually has the ability to play all iTunes formats with the exception of any stuff with DRM which is not a limitation of the player

I still wonder after all this time of posting here why both Windows users and Mac users have to feel their product is superior to the other. Why not just use what you like and let others do the same?

At least us Linux users know we are on the bottom. :D

On the flip side of this

• iTunes looks horribly out of place in Windows Vista and 7
  • The media library functionality is crap. When I download a song from a non-itunes store, or rip it from a CD it takes ages to show in iTunes, yet appears almost instantly in WMP, even if I rip it with something else
  • iTunes takes ages to start in Windows, WMP12 starts in a fraction of the time

And you are actually wrong, WMP in Windows 7 actually has the ability to play all iTunes formats with the exception of any stuff with DRM which is not a limitation of the player

On the flip side of this

• At least it runs on Windows.
  • Do you just expect iTunes to find it somewhere on your computer? After an initial scan, iTunes doesn't care and doesn't watch folders except for one that got introduced with iTunes 9. I personally prefer it that way, because it means I can control what ends up in my library and what I've just temporarily downloaded.
  • See first item. Also, iTunes 9 starts in a fraction of a second on OS X.

And I stand corrected. I was going off of WMP 11 (some KB article I found on Microsoft's website). I'm glad Microsoft's including AAC now. It's a great codec.

On the flip side of this

• At least it runs on Windows featuring the same options as in OS X.

I fixed it for you.

MS won't bother putting the same features in its Mac apps. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, the other missing Office applications (Visio, Project, Access, ...) and last but not least, Windows Live Messenger. Ok, the Mess is for the Windows version ; the Mac one is lean. But we're missing LOTS of features.

The design's a VERY important part of an application, but come on, I'd rather get the options than the design.

I fixed it for you.

MS won't bother putting the same features in its Mac apps. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, the other missing Office applications (Visio, Project, Access, ...) and last but not least, Windows Live Messenger. Ok, the Mess is for the Windows version ; the Mac one is lean. But we're missing LOTS of features.

The design's a VERY important part of an application, but come on, I'd rather get the options than the design.

That's true but MS faces the reality that most of their customers tend to also use Windows so the their focus isn't without merit. OTOH Apple can't afford to cripple its Windows offerings because the reality remains that the vast majority of their customers are windows users. The iPod revolution started when they made it windows compatible and got rid of Musicmatch Jukebox and finally ported iTunes to windows.

Also, iTunes 9 starts in a fraction of a second on OS X.

Makes me wonder what kind of configuration you have because that's not even the case on my 2009 Mac Pro with 6 GB of memory.

I updated quicktime today, through apple's automatic ****ty updater crap that's probably running all the time

One of the default selections is some **** for the iPhone. I have not installed any software for the iPhone on my computer, I do not have an iPhone, so wtf is it trying to install by default on an update?

Add on top of that the fact that quicktime isn't working in firefox right now. I assume a restart should fix the problem, but I ****ing hate Apple crap.

I only have quicktime installed for apple trailers, that's my only interest in Apple anything and the above is why. First they wanted to install Safari crap, now some crap for iPhone... stupid. Not to mention how they are handling themselves in the app store, or their stupid ads. It was amusing for a while, but the same ****ing guy... and the same ****ing style

Makes me wonder what kind of configuration you have because that's not even the case on my 2009 Mac Pro with 6 GB of memory.

4-5 seconds on my Mac Pro. Which is about the same speed as Foobar2k open on my test Win7 box.

Makes me wonder what is wrong with your set up as both my 2009 iMacs with 20+gig libraries fly open almost instantly.

Makes me wonder what is wrong with your set up as both my 2009 iMacs with 20+gig libraries fly open almost instantly.

Yep, same here. I have the MacBook Pro 13' 2.66GHz 4GB RAM Snow Leopard and iTunes opens right away.

Well it opens faster than on my Vista 64bit, 3.515GHz Phenom II 940 BE, 4GB RAM, HD 4870 1GB x 2 Crossfire (or it might be because I have a tera byte of mp3s :) )

Exactly. Cold start takes 2-3 seconds. Warm start is almost instant.

I'm using a 2.53GHz 15" MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory.

Absolutely nothing... iTunes doesn't doesn't take ages to load like on Windows but it doesn't exactly launch in a "fraction of a second" either on a cold start.

It still amazes me how laggy scrolling through grid view is in iTunes compared to the Finder and iPhoto.

Exactly. Cold start takes 2-3 seconds. Warm start is almost instant.

Well that's already something different than just the "fraction of a second" you stated earlier. I thought you managed to open iTunes in that time on a cold start.

Well that's already something different than just the "fraction of a second" you stated earlier. I thought you managed to open iTunes in that time on a cold start.

Actually, I just tried it out (shut down and started up my machine). iTunes started in 1 second. Not a fraction of a second, but damn well close. I just tried out both Windows Media Player and iTunes 9 in Windows 7 as well. WMP started in about 2.5 seconds (with no songs in the library except for the standard ones and it isn't the first time I've started WMP) and iTunes 9 started in 5 seconds (using the same library as my Mac).