My Battle With Sony.

Long story short, Sony decided to replace my old 55" TV with a new one. The thing is they said they can't replace it with another 55" since it's about 4000?, much more than what my old was in 2007 (about 2700 ?). To me this doesn't sound fair since I would have to downgrade to 46 or 52". I know they will have to swap my old to new equivalent tv, but would it mean that they should give the same size or same price range TV?

What bugs me is that Sony's current and only 55" LCD (KDL-55X4500) is about 4000 ? (list price), while other manufacturers have 55" LCD's below 3000 ?.

Hmm... seems ridiculous on the surface of it. They should be exchanging it for an equivilant set regardless of cost. If they've discontinued a cheaper 55" Bravia, then that is their problem and they should have to pay up for it!

In the UK we have something called the Citizens Advice Bureau who will advise us consumer related questions such as this - might be worth finding out if you have the same, and find out what you're entitled to!

Sony doesnt have a reputation for good customer service -- in fact, they are one of those companies that use their market dominance as leverage and basically not caring. Kinda like "we dont care about you...we're Sony"

I dont know about where you are, but in the US, -- whats "fair" doesnt mean crap with them [sony].

why are they replacing it? is it an agreement you have with sony, or an insurer? is it a good will gesture?

a good example of this is if you bought a car that cost ?20k and then 2 years later it got written off (through no fault of your own), the insurer will not replace it with a new ?20k car... they replace it with something worth the same as your car at 2yrs old.. unless you have something like GAP insurance

if it's broken, or damanged i would take it up with your home contents insurer, as i think you have more chance of a new for old straight swap

Hmm... seems ridiculous on the surface of it. They should be exchanging it for an equivilant set regardless of cost. If they've discontinued a cheaper 55" Bravia, then that is their problem and they should have to pay up for it!

In the UK we have something called the Citizens Advice Bureau who will advise us consumer related questions such as this - might be worth finding out if you have the same, and find out what you're entitled to!

Yes we have that too, I'll call them on Monday.

why are they replacing it? is it an agreement you have with sony, or an insurer? is it a good will gesture?

a good example of this is if you bought a car that cost ?20k and then 2 years later it got written off (through no fault of your own), the insurer will not replace it with a new ?20k car... they replace it with something worth the same as your car at 2yrs old.. unless you have something like GAP insurance

if it's broken, or damanged i would take it up with your home contents insurer, as i think you have more chance of a new for old straight swap

Old one broke, it was repaired two times in Sony TV service. Everytime I got it back it had a new problem, it was also scratched on three places. I had been without a proper TV for about 5 weeks at that point and when I would have had to send it back for the third time I contacted Sony and after some struggle they said they will somehow compensate the scratches and try to repair it again or they will send me a new TV but smaller than 55".

The way I figured this is they can decide which is better for them, fix it or replace it with a new one. I demand that any monetary compensation of the scratches is not acceptable since I can't live with them, they either replace the covers and repair it again or replace it with another 55" set.

well there is no other sony tv, new or old that is equivalent to the xbr4500( i'm pretty sure this is still their flagship model so unless your model was also the top of the range i can understand why there is hesitation to replace it)......size isn't even relevant, they will look to replce like with like so they will look more to the series of the tv and obivously get as close as possible with size (unless sony is looking to do it as goodwill) , it is to there discretion if they want to 'upgrade your model'.

I would say it would be better for you to ask for a credit or refund and buy a different tv if you want 55', you may feel jipped but an equivalent tv would probably be a 52 in equiv model(Is 3'' really that much :p) because it more about the series and less about the size... in terms of the replacement.. , it might be easier for them to replace the bezel on the tv...

btw what series is your tv, because if you bought an older xbr then i would understand why your angry.. i don't know what your statutory rights are in your country, so by all means push for the replacement, or see if they will replace the bezel

i hope everything goes your way, but unless you push real hard(with or without authorities, i don't see how they will do it

oh and re-reading your last question....lol....it will be on price range and equiv features more then just matching the tv size

What bugs me is that Sony's current and only 55" LCD (KDL-55X4500) is about 4000 € (list price), while other manufacturers have 55" LCD's below 3000 €.

YEah but that's because other manufacturers like Samsung make crap like series 3 and series 4. While sony starts their series at a higher quality level. You can't compare the cheapest Sony withthe cheapest Samsung since samsung starts at a much lower quality level.

Seriously? Why should they change it out with an equivalent size regardless of cost? Money is what matters to Sony not the size. And I agree with Sony here.

Its about how much your TV is worth, like Duez said size isn't relative. The only thing that I can see that might change that is if you purchased an extended warranty

I would get the 52" its only a couple of inches smaller, barely noticable and you will be saving some money in the process...Unless you think 3" is worth the extra money.

Er thats how things work, if its still within warranty they are obligated to give you like for like, its not your fault that it broke they cant just give you a ?2k tv because the like for like model costs ?4k and you only paid ?3k when you bought it. At least thats how it works in the UK.

well xbr4500 is edge-lit led, in 2007 there were no such tv's from sony that had such features so replacing like for like would not result in him getting the xbr unless has has an older xbr in which they are replacing the tv in terms of series

but yes i do agree with your point, in that cost isnt important...rather the 'like for like' part.

I just got a confirmation from a lawyer. In EU manufacturer or seller has to replace it with same size, it doesn't matter if there is a price difference or some techology improvements, so if Sony has only one 55" they will have to offer that for the replacement.

I'm not that interested about image quality, if I buy a best possible LCD today it looks like **** in two years. All I care is that it's the same size i'm used to and that the picture is OK.

I'll ask them to change all the plastic covers that are scratched and fix my tv or replace it with another 55" if it's cheaper for them to do so, it doesn't matter if it's old 55" LCD that has collected dust in some warehouse for a year or so. Either one is fine for me. I don't know if there even are new covers as spare parts, maybe thats why they offered a monetary compensation.

Er thats how things work, if its still within warranty they are obligated to give you like for like, its not your fault that it broke they cant just give you a ?2k tv because the like for like model costs ?4k and you only paid ?3k when you bought it. At least thats how it works in the UK.

yeah true, i guess my car thingy was a bad examp:D :D