• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows not making use of my 4GB RAM.

Bryan84    1

Do I still need to enable "Physical Address Extension"?

The_Decryptor    1,105

no.

Andrew Lyle    336
i used google and this came up

Make 32 Bit OS Use More Than 4 GB RAM

Ha, ya right.

Look at the very bottom of the post..

To be honest, I did not get to test either of the patch above because both my desktop and laptop has only 2GB of memory. As for Windows XP to support more than 4GB of ram, I wasn?t able to find any patch for it. If you know any please leave a comment.

Bryan84    1

Erm after the format it still shows 3.12GB usable out of the 4GB. Ermm? Sure I don't need to enable PAE? :s

Andrew Lyle    336
Erm after the format it still shows 3.12GB usable out of the 4GB. Ermm? Sure I don't need to enable PAE? :s

Screenshot please. You may need to enter the activation and register, and reboot

zivan56    22

Just so you know, your chipset (945GC) only officially supports 2GB of RAM according to the datasheet (page 17):

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/307502.pdf

It is also does not support 1066MHz FSB...

memory945gc.png

Since I have seen these in media servers, I'm guessing they are a crippled version of the 945P chipset.

Motherboard specs also say 2GB:

http://www.directron.com/945gzm3l.html

Bryan84    1
Screenshot please. You may need to enter the activation and register, and reboot

Windows is activated. Ermm...I will get that computer online so I can post screen shot if needed.

TEX4S    116

See, I told you -- its because of your motherboard fan, or your keyboard -- its not 64-bit compatible !

You need to use a blu-laser mouse in order to get the full 4 Gb -- everyone knows that !!

And it has to be black -- because black is better for 64-bit OS for some reason.....trust me

Bryan84    1
See, I told you -- its because of your motherboard fan, or your keyboard -- its not 64-bit compatible !

You need to use a blu-laser mouse in order to get the full 4 Gb -- everyone knows that !!

And it has to be black -- because black is better for 64-bit OS for some reason.....trust me

Errr okayyy so what's your point actually?

Darrian    254
@O.G & @Darrian: Phew!!! So means I can save all my trouble of installing back all my data and simply do the upgrade? Keeping all my applications, games, programs? And once I've got the 64-bit to work, the windows.old can be just deleted?

You will still need to reinstall your programs, but in most cases your settings will be recoverable. The data is hidden by default, so you'll want to change your folder settings to show hidden and system files.

Let's say you're moving from 32-bit 7 to 64-bit 7 and your username is Bryan. Your old documents will be in C:\Windows.old\Users\Bryan\Documents. Music in C:\Windows.old\Users\Bryan\Music. Pictures in C:\Windows.old\Bryan\Pictures. Videos in C:\Windows.old\Users\Bryan\Videos. Your desktop will be in C:\Windows.old\Users\Bryan\Desktop. You will want to move this stuff to C:\Users\Bryan\Documents, C:\Users\Bryan\Music, C:\Users\Bryan\Pictures, C:\Users\Bryan\Videos, and C:\Users\Bryan\Deskop, respectively.

Your application settings are a little trickier. Everything you will probably need is in C:\Users\Bryan\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\Bryan\AppData\Local. Again, you will look for the backup at C:\Windows.old\Users\Bryan\AppData. I would just move these folders directly to your new desktop and copy the folders for the program settings you need to their respective homes. This part can be tricky to the inexperienced, but it's really not that hard.

Programs that do not need installers can be moved from C:\Windows.old\Program Files to C:\Program Files (x86) and shortcuts can be made manually. Even some programs that should need installers can be moved in this manner. There are some advantages to that. For instance, I have a lot of Winamp skins, which are kept in C:\Program Files\Winamp\Skins, so I would copy the entire Winamp folder to C:\Program Files (x86) and then reinstall Winamp over the top of it at C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp. Or if skins were the only thing I was concerned about keeping I might just install Winamp and then move my skins folder alone. It doesn't matter, but there is another reason for this.

When I do a clean install I pick through C:\Windows.old\Program Files (x86) (no (x86) when moving from 32-bit; I've been on x64 Windows since XP, and done a lot of clean installs, so this is typically the folder I need) and select every program I need to reinstall. For instance I might go hmm, CD Art Display, Winamp, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Stardock (and its subdirectories), WinRAR, just to name a few. At this point I've already moved over all my personal documents, desktop crap, application settings, etc. Now that I've moved these program folders I can delete Windows.old, and I can now just browse through C:\Program Files (x86) and see ok, I need to reinstall CD Art Display, Winamp, Firefox, Thunderbird, Impulse and Winrar and then go about retrieving the installers from the net (or, actually, I just go to my "Backup" folder in My Documents where I keep installers for every app I have loaded :)).

Edited by Darrian

Bryan84    1

Thanks Darrian but I have decided to just do a clean install. :)

Darrian    254

Those are instructions for a clean install. :p

If you don't care about your app settings you should still not format the drive so you can keep your docs, pictures, vids, etc. It'll save you some DVD-Rs. :D

Texas is just being an idiot. It has nothing to do with the color black, your keyboard, or bluetrack mice.

Now, reviewing the thread you said you formatted anyway. When you reinstalled did you install a 64-bit OS? If it still won't see all your memory then something else is the problem. If you're using a 32-bit OS then there's no way you're gonna get all of it regardless of how many times you format.

Edited by Darrian

Robotic    0

@Bryan84 IIRC a lot if not all of the 945 North Bridges only support a 32-bit interface so you will suffer due to hardware on anything approaching 4GB and upwards regardless of a 32-bit or 64-bit OS but just as a last resort check your BIOS and see if it allows remapping and how much RAM it shows available.

Look on the bright side though, at least you can run 64-bit applications now, but the downside is you'll probably have less RAM to use than when using a 32-bit OS due to the bigger memory footprint required for the 64-bit OS LOL, not laughing at you Bryan84 but at the irony of it.

XerXis    259

ah nooo, a 945 chipset, too bad for you :) Really cheap chipsets. Anyway, you now have 64 bit windows, congratulations :p

hdood    145
Per the application limit I apologize if I wasn't clear but my point was simply that running a 64bit OS doesn't generally grant more available memory to 32bit processes (like games - i.e having 16GB of RAM will still be subdivided into their own 2GB private working sets). No?

It does. The usable portion of the virtual address space of a 32-bit process running on 64-bit Windows is 4GB. On 32-bit (and 16-bit, for that matter) Windows, it's 2GB. This is just virtual address space though, not physical memory. They are two different things. You can allocate as much memory as you want. Virtual address space doesn't even have to point to memory, it can point to other resources as well, including files on disk. It's all up to the programmer.

Bryan84    1

So it's a mistake to install 64-bit? :(

clipboard01o.png

@Bryan84 IIRC a lot if not all of the 945 North Bridges only support a 32-bit interface so you will suffer due to hardware on anything approaching 4GB and upwards regardless of a 32-bit or 64-bit OS but just as a last resort check your BIOS and see if it allows remapping and how much RAM it shows available.

Can advise one what I should do? Go into BIOS?

ViperAFK    797

Yeah looks like a motherboard limit.

To get into bios, when you first boot your computer it usually shows you the key to press during boot like "press f1 for setup" or something. Its usually f1, f2, del or esc in my experience.

Bryan84    1

I don't see any RAM remapping thing.

Gosh :( Terrible. I wasted all my time to go through all these and still end up with nothing? :(

Look on the bright side though, at least you can run 64-bit applications now, but the downside is you'll probably have less RAM to use than when using a 32-bit OS due to the bigger memory footprint required for the 64-bit OS LOL, not laughing at you Bryan84 but at the irony of it.

Won't that means using 32-bit is actually better for my case or it won't make a difference? Do I really have to downgrade back to 32-bit? Should I really downgrade back to 32-bit then?

Please advise.

ViperAFK    797

Yeah it seems your chipset is limited to 32 bit addressing so you won't be able to access all the ram :(

Bryan84    1

Now that is horrible. :( how about the second question then?

Won't that means using 32-bit is actually better for my case or it won't make a difference? Do I really have to downgrade back to 32-bit? Should I really downgrade back to 32-bit then?

Please advise.

The_Decryptor    1,105

I wouldn't bother, apps won't use twice the memory as only a few things depend on the actual amount of bits the host OS is using (a 32bit integer is still 32bits on x64, but a pointer isn't, it depends on whether the app is 32bit or 64bit)

Reformatting again and re-installing a 32bit OS would end up taking more time than any slowdowns due to paging because of memory issues caused by running a 64bit OS (and re-installing is a once off, quick event)

Bryan84    1

Because if it's really better that I run 32-bit due to my hardware limitations, I rather do a clean install NOW than next time again. That's why I guess I need to make a decision. I won't mind to format again since I have backup before. I just want to know if 32-bit really will better any better in my case here. :(

Eric    1,605

If you're already seeing > 3GB on an x86 OS then your chipset should be able to see at least that on an x64 OS no matter what the specs state. :)

The image in your original post shows 4.00GB installed (3.12 GB usable) so the chipset is seeing 4GB. Shared memory like "system" video memory could still be eating some of your RAM.

+ncoday    423
14092009235215.png

I have 4GB of RAM but my computer is making 3GB usable only. I have read a few articles regarding this issue and having to enable "Physical Address Extension" >3GB seems to solve the problem.

Can I confirm this is the solution I need to use to make my computer make use of my full 4GB? If so, can someone please kindly advise me how I should do it clearly? Step by step would be nice.

Related Articles:

http://www.megaleecher.net/Windows_XP_PAE

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-90275-m...play-in-windows

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa...28VS.85%29.aspx

I would recommend going with Windows 7 x64 Professional or higher when it is released, or from MSDN if you have a subscription for there.