Windows not making use of my 4GB RAM.

You didn't really close the case because you listened to a bunch of FUD without listening to the people with real knowledge about X64 windows. The actual truth is that the overheads are small, not large as some people make out. With a modern system, barely even noticeable. Plus with X64 windows you get the added advantage of being able to use X64 software and game engines, which tend to be a bit faster than their 32 bit counterparts.

I run a lot of games on my rig, and I have yet to see a single piece of performance loss, all of my games run at equal speed to what they would in XP or Vista 32 bit.

Well guessed I am somewhat "thankful" that I am not a heavy gamer hence probably won't play games of X64 to feel the difference on my X86 now. Thanks anyway.

seems like a silly issue. If you game, you should be using 64 bit windows. Ditch the incompatible hardware and upgrade. Buying a new card with a gig of ram on it and running 32 bit windows is just counterproductive.

• 5 months later...
(the only 32-bit machines were the original Core Solo Macbooks and Mac Minis, neither of which can support more than 4GB of memory using their Lakeport chipsets)

And even on these machines Mac OS X uses PAE mode to support the NX bit.

Source? Everything I can find seems to say that it does use PAE.

To be more precise, long mode does use page tables similar to those used with PAE, and to enable long mode you have to enable CR4.PAE first, but yes long mode is quite different from protected mode with PAE paging.

if your pc habits are as you say then 32bit will be enough as you won't have to worry about compatability issues but if you do go with 64bit then make sure your hardware has signed x64 drivers as x64 won't accept 32bit drivers and unsigned drivers(though you can bypass that by pressing F8 on each startup but thats a major hassle)and if you do plan to add any extra hardware in the future then make sure they have 64 bit drivers but as far as apps go most 32bit apps will work on x64 except say virus scanners or system utilities with install drivers but if you want it to be simple and very very compatible then stick to 32bit but if your willing to take the plunge and if your willing to try to fix any errors that may come up then go 64bit.

Just so you know. I just updated my system to Windows 7 64-bit and I only had 2gigs of ram. I went out and purchased another 2gigs and my system is running great right now. I mean you really won't see a difference between 64bit and 32bit other than you having 2 Program files folders :P