MAG Beta

I'm in too! :)

Boo to the huge update download though. :( 2.6GB. I'm currently at 18%. If I'm lucky, I might get a play in before the 20:00 deadline tonight.

60%.... Although I was downloading some other things on the PC.

For those that play, hows the lone wolf vs team work balance? I've read on other forums you really notice yourself raking in more XP actually working with your team compared to trying to be a lone wolf. Supposedly the balance is quite well done that it'll actually put off anyone leveling up/xp focussed off of trying to run away and be Rambo.

God damn it. 82% so far. :( Unless I'm up late tonight, I won't be playing it until tomorrow.

86% now

UK times for this week

New times for this week. UK Times BST

Monday 21/9 16:00 - 00:00

Tuesday 22/9 00:00 - 05:00 18:00 - 21:00

Wednesday 23/9 00:00 - 05:00 15:30 - 21:00

Thursday 24/9 01:00 - 05:00 18:00 - 21:00

Friday 25/9 01:00 - 05:00 18:00 - 21:00

Saturday 26/9 01:00 - 05:00

86% now

UK times for this week

Where you getting the times from AB?

I am def going to check it out in like 45 minutes, but I am going by the initial times I got in my email, and wondering where an updated time list may be?

Where you getting the times from AB?

I am def going to check it out in like 45 minutes, but I am going by the initial times I got in my email, and wondering where an updated time list may be?

Off of Neogaf, I assume it's updated times from the beta forums (we can't access the forums, we're just part of the open beta).

92% now

Off of Neogaf, I assume it's updated times from the beta forums (we can't access the forums, we're just part of the open beta).

92% now

Ahhh okay, looks like I may have a reason to log into the forums then. LOL

84%. Looks like I won't be playing it tonight. :( I've gotta actually wake up to an alarm tomorrow, as I've gotta head into town to finish off my JobSeeker's Allowance claim, then I've got a chiropodist appointment a few hours after. On the plus side, our new family car will be arriving tomorrow!!! :)

080910005.jpg

It's a Citroen C3 Picasso, and I can't wait to get my hands on it, as I'm gonna be a named driver on it! The downside though is that my dad won't let me drive it until I've started taking lessons. :p

4 kills, 13 deaths, 3 assists and a streak of 2.

Awesome for first game.... right? Haha. Least we won (SVER). Level 3 now.

By the way these maps are ****ing huge. Think I'm on a 128 player game.

Second game wasn't much better :p

6/11.

I was mostly running around repairing things though, got my first repair ribbon.

One thing that's cool is if you have a 5.1 sound system you're going to be hearing constant gun shots and muffled fire all the time due to there being battles going on everywhere.

Just got home to find a beta key in my inbox, now to start the stupidly big download, might try and finish uncharted on crushing lol

Hope to see some of you on the battlefield, ill be the one stabbing you in the back :p

So okay, here it is. My very initial impressions after playing three full rounds...

MAG is very, very good. It is not groundbreaking, there are no gimmicks at all, it is just a very good, solid game.

It is honestly the closest thing I have come to playing that resembles Battlefield 2 from the PC, even closer than Battlefield itself in certain regards.

It has Squad Leaders, then a Commander type position, etc., just as BF2 on PC did.

The controls are straight up. They work, and they work well. No clunky controls like Killzone, but not really super fluid like COD (since that is after-all the standard for good controls in an FPS). Just good controls.

Hit Detection is spot on from what I can tell. Literally spot on. I never once felt like I was firing at someone and saying to myself why am I not hitting them?

I experienced no lag whatsoever. Rain smooth as can be.

So as I said, it breaks no new ground, in fact it treads very familiar ground, but it does it all solidly. Playing in a good squad from what I can tell is absolutely imperative. While you can go lone wolf and still enjoy the game, I did the one round as I was in a squad with no one communicating at all, but getting in a good squad makes the game truly a much better experience. I went 20-0 the final round I played, and that is because the squad I was in did simple communication like "They are on the right, Follow Me, Etc." To go 20-0 and not really have a firm grasp on the controls yet, just shows how important it is being in a good squad and what a difference it can make. It was an absolute blast playing with people who wanted to actually play the game and communicate respectfully.

I know there have been some complaints about animations, etc., but I can honestly say that while in the moment, nothing stood out to me whatsoever. If they can polish them, even better, if not, again, I saw nothing that made me think to myself damn that is really bad, and to me this is a testament to enjoying actually playing the game itself. So if they do not fine tune them, I personally am fine with it as I enjoyed the game-play itself.

To me it is easiest the best MP game on the PS3. Now I know that is a loaded comment, especially since I do not think there are honestly that many good MP FPS's on the PS3 at all, but it is the best so far.

Finally, I never once felt overwhelmed or as if it was to much going on, and there was definitely at many points a lot going on, but it never felt like it was overboard. It felt just right.

I was looking forward to the game, and I am not disappointed at all, and in fact I am pleasantly surprised, it surpassed my expectations.

I am getting it, no doubt it my mind.

Some quick pros and cons from me, I've enjoyed what I've played so far, more impressed with the complete lack of lag more than anything. The game looks like it'll turn out to be a great achievement for a console, but it's not anything you haven't seen done on the PC.

Pros

- Closest thing to BF2 I've played on a console.

- Atmosphere is good due to such highly populated maps (64 or 128 players in this beta). Explosions, AA guns, vehicles, gun shots, aeroplanes, airstrikes going off from start to finish, feels like a proper battle.

- No Lag, absolutely none, very impressive for such a large scale game. Beta is mixing USA and European gamers.

- Controls are fairly fluid, switching between primary/secondary equipment on L2/R2 takes a round or two to get used to.

- Graphics, scope is fantastic, very large maps. FPS is fairly solid, if there were any dips they weren't dropping far below 30. Smoke effects look good.

- Group work is rewarded well with higher XP bonuses.

- Picking a faction is fun, every game won/lost counts towards the overall picture of which faction is winning the war. (I went with SVER). I think you can have a character under each? Not sure, if you can they'll level independently.

- Loadouts can easily be switched between during a game (save many different ones for battle).

- Perks system looks fairly in-depth.

- Parachuting is just plain fun :p

Cons

- Beta throws you in at the deep end, no real tutorials. Took me about 2/3 rounds to get the basic hang of things. Becoming a commander is probably going to put me back in the dark again. Fair enough for a beta, but the retail game will need good documentation.

- Rough around the edges, clear place holder graphics/animations in places. Understandable due to this being about stress testing servers, still 5 months left to release, but still a noticeable point to bring up from the beta.

- Everyone is a noob, game relies on good communication/team work as objectives are unlikely to be lone wolfed when you're in a 128 player server. You die easily in this running around in the open, easy to pick off people and you aren't a bullet sponge. Health doesn't automatically regen from crouching down so you need a med pack in your loadout, or you need to find a resupply spot.

- Graphics, even considering the scope and player count, they're still workmanship like graphics, nothing is going to "wow" you in the textures, but this could never be Killzone 2 anyway. There is fog in the game, but the draw distance is fine. There's definite texture pop-in but it's not that bad, something I'd presume would be polished out further closer to release.

- People will need to adapt from casual run and gun shooters like KZ2/MW, hopefully the Socom crowd migrates from Socom Confrontation.

- It's not anything ground breakingly new in general (this is NOT replacing the popularity and fame of Halo/Call of Duty), but it's nice to see a console game coming closer to what PC owners always get to brag about :p

I've only played 6 or 7 games, all on the 128 player option (can't remember it's name), still to do 64 player game mode. More opinions tomorrow, I've just hit level 10 and opened some more perk/equipment options I think. Time for bed.

Edited by Audioboxer

This is getting ridiculous now. I've had the update downloading since 18:00, and it's 96% through at the moment. Less than 90MB to go, and it's slowed down an f'ing crawl. It's running at around 25KB/s. Bloody ridiculous. :angry:

This is getting ridiculous now. I've had the update downloading since 18:00, and it's 96% through at the moment. Less than 90MB to go, and it's slowed down an f'ing crawl. It's running at around 25KB/s. Bloody ridiculous. :angry:

I believe it is because you are downloading it during on hours. If you download it during off hours, when no one is playing, it should go much, much smoother. i gave up trying to download it during on hours, was just way to slow.

Going through your Pros Cons now AB, will see if I really disagree with anything.

EDIT - So AB, the one thing I really agree with you on is I wish there was some sort of Training option in the Beta. I do see there is the option but we were not able to pick it, so I think the whole what the hell do I do feeling will be addressed in retail.

I also went with SVER, and I am hoping we can have a character in each faction for sure.

That's about it, definitely feel you are pretty much spot on with everything else, especially the BF2 comparison. That makes me a very happy camper indeed.

I believe it is because you are downloading it during on hours. If you download it during off hours, when no one is playing, it should go much, much smoother. i gave up trying to download it during on hours, was just way to slow.

But according to the timetable AB posted, no one is on now, as it closed at midnight.

EDIT: OK, it's just the UK that's not on.

But according to the timetable AB posted, no one is on now, as it closed at midnight.

EDIT: OK, it's just the UK that's not on.

It's on until 5/6am UK time :p The list I posted was for the UK.

Everyone is on at the same time by the way, as I pointed out above the beta mixes all regions together. One thing I find strange is no weekend play but, I don't understand that unless it's just because the crew at Zipper aren't working at the weekend (servers get shut off).

Strange your download became such a chokehold :(