Modded Xbox thread

hehe, sounds like you guys are having fun :)

i just got my xbox last monday, and it's been tons of fun. hopefully when i save up money again, i'll be able to mod it.

hey, are those non-ms controllers any good? like mad catz or whatever.

also, is there any way to get a ps2 controller to work on an xbox?

I'm just a tad perturbed... I installed my own X2 Lite two days ago, and everything was fine until I tried to flash it, now I'm up **** creek without a paddle. I can't get the flash to work, and I can load up the xbox to be able to re-flash it. :(

I'm just a tad perturbed... I installed my own X2 Lite two days ago, and everything was fine until I tried to flash it, now I'm up **** creek without a paddle. I can't get the flash to work, and I can load up the xbox to be able to re-flash it. :(

Do you know what went wrong when you flashed it? Like, bad media or something?

I'm asking because I'm installing an X2.1 Lite in my machine some time next week.. :/

edit hehe, they just called from Divineo to confirm my order. Man, Manchester English is hard to understand, especially when English isn't your first language ;) :D

Edited by cerbero

I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong. It was one of two things -

1. Something was wrong with the BIOS I got, because I flashed twice, and twice it didn't work. (The first one I used was EvoX D.6 Blue)

2. When putting in my chip I decided that instead of going through the grueling process of soldering the d0 point (which I had already tried for like half an hour) I would just tin the wire and tape it. Which worked for 1 boot, then it would come off and I would have to re-tape it. I had to this every other boot for a while. What I assume happened was that the d0 point came loose during the flashing and so I got a bad flash. Though having it done twice is kind of odd, which is why #1 is more likely.

Anyways, I've fixed it now (I flashed it with EvoX D.6 Blue EjectFix), and all I have to do now is set up a dashboard, but that's a whole different set of problems. :cry:

Why would anyone want XBMP as their default dashboard? :wacko:

P.S. I would recommending getting a larger hard drive, Dazzla. You're going to need it. I have a 120 GB drive that I got two weeks ago, and I only have 27GB left. :(

P.S.S.

Anyone wanna recommend me some games? I'm going to get Harry Potter once the rental store gets it in. Same with NHL2K3 so I can play on xbconnect.

Amped

Blinx: The Time Sweeper

Brute Force

Burnout 2

Dead Or Alive 3

Enter the Matrix

Fuzion Frenzy

Halo

Hitman 2

Medal of Honor: Frontline

Metal Gear Solid 2: SUbstance

Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit

Project Gotham Racing

Rally Sport Challenge

Slpinter Cell

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Unreal Tournament

X-men Next Dimension

X2: Wolverine's Revenge

P.P.S. xbconnect.com has some great tunneling software, and lots of users. Anyone up for Wolfenstein?

Finally got everything up and running again (along with a nice little bootable restore CD for the future), I couldn't get FileZilla to work, it connected fine and listed all the folders, but it couldn't open them (FlashFXP) so I've resorted to EvoX at the moment.

This is because the list was cached in flashfxp - it brought the evox folders up from cache, but when you try to go to one, you can't because they're set up differently in filezilla. In FlashFXP, go to Directory -> Flush Directory Cache, then reconnect to filezilla.

Lots of people have done it. All you need to do is ensure your mod is off when you connect to XBL.

And that your hard drive is locked. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone want XBMP as their default dashboard? :wacko:

why not? it has all the features i need for launching games and ftp and can play music/videos

evox was good when it came out it was the only dash back then, not much has improved other than being able to skin it (well change the background). its very basic and bad looking compared to the other dashs... just boring as hell now

nexgen, the xmas demo version was pretty nifty but was not for using as a full on dash, nothing was 100% on it

mxm is top notch, looks great has lots of nice features... would use this if i wasnt happy with xbmp

avalaunch is ok not so great looking but has irc built in :D

xbmp is the daddy imho, great looking(with the media center skin), easy to navigate and has so many features :D

And that your hard drive is locked. :rolleyes:

can you expand on that? how do you lock a hard drive? what if your hard drive is replaced too?

why not? it has all the features i need for launching games and ftp and can play music/videos

evox was good when it came out it was the only dash back then, not much has improved other than being able to skin it (well change the background). its very basic and bad looking compared to the other dashs... just boring as hell now

nexgen, the xmas demo version was pretty nifty but was not for using as a full on dash, nothing was 100% on it

mxm is top notch, looks great has lots of nice features... would use this if i wasnt happy with xbmp

avalaunch is ok not so great looking but has irc built in :D

xbmp is the daddy imho, great looking(with the media center skin), easy to navigate and has so many features :D

MCE skin :| ?

Dazzla: heres what im using Microsoft Media Center Skin should still work in xbmp2.4 im using a build made just before 2.4 so i doubt they changed much... all you do is overwrite the other images in the /media directory i think it is

BroChaos: To lock your hard drive use configmagic (easiest way), its only needed if u replaced your hard drive and plan on turning your mod off (for live)... standard hd's come locked or they wouldn't boot.

I've used my Xbox for Live so my hard drive must be locked. But I can still access it and FTP to it etc when the mod chip is on, is that right?

Yea that's right. If you're drive isn't locked and you boot with your mod off it'll give you a needs service screen. With it locked and the chip off it will function like a normal xbox. I'm gonna buy xbox live at work today, but I won't be able to play it until I get a new 120gb drive that will lock. I've tried everything out there to get my WD special edition to lock and it's just not happening. Lots of people have been having luck with the maxtor line of 120s it seems so i'm gonna try one of those. Also just a suggestion for XBMP if you want to keep your xbox hard drive clean then you should try setting up some fileshares on one of your computers and play your media off of them. XsnesX also has network support in the new version. Hard drive space dissapears fast while having fun! :D That way you can also access your mp3s and movies from any normal computer on your network. Hope to see all you guys on live soon!!

all it means when its locked it that its passworded, so u cant put it in a pc and read the contents

just another failed security attempt :)

if you want to put use the drive in a pc u have to unlock it first has info on xbox-scene in the tutorials

XsnesX also has network support in the new version.

It does? Cool :)

How is it configured though? Couldn't find anything about it on the XSNES9x forums except that he was working on it, and that post was a couple of months old... Would be great if you could you just point me in the right direction.

Getting my X2.1 Lite tomorrow hopefully.. I'm so excited :woot:

:)

wish I could point you in the right direction lol. I'm pretty sure I read as one of the news updates on xbox-scene that the new version had been released with network support. I just haven't had time to go download it.

Everyone asking questions should check out:

http://xbox-scene.com/

They have useful forums and tons of tips for picking out/installing a modchip.

A word of advice from me -- If you are getting or currently have a modchip, don't waste your money on Xbox Live! or the DVD kit. Use XBconnect to play online(You can play any multiplayer games online with it[Even non Xbox-Live games like Halo]) and one of the many DVD programs to play DVDs.

If you need any Xbox software, go to #xbins on EFNet and get access to the ftp; the instructions should be in the topic

Edit: oops, meant .com. Thanks jonMEGA

Edited by sp0rk

Everyone asking questions should check out:

http://xbox-scene.net/

They have useful forums and tons of tips for picking out/installing a modchip.

A word of advice from me -- If you are getting or currently have a modchip, don't waste your money on Xbox Live! or the DVD kit. Use XBconnect to play online(You can play any multiplayer games online with it[Even non Xbox-Live games like Halo]) and one of the many DVD programs to play DVDs.

If you need any Xbox software, go to #xbins on EFNet and get access to the ftp; the instructions should be in the topic

don't you mean http://www.xbox-scene.com ??

Dazzla where are the screenies? :(

I haven't got a digital camera so I have to take them with regular film camera and get them developed and put on CD. Long while yet...