Modded Xbox thread

Are there any shortcomings to using MXM???

As for the preview videos, we have to record our own right??

KICK_XP: I didn't want to do it myself either...ended up paying a guy to do it for me. He's pretty damn good at it but it cost me $120 for the install/upgrade. I would rather do it myself next time. I just need to learn how to solder onto the board. I want to do a couple of mods to my xbox (changing dvd drive and led mods) and would rather do it myself and not spend any money. I'm gonna have to use my playstation 1 as my practice :)

Hey Brochaos, you said that you have a 250 GB in? So the 137 GB limit is false?

The 137 limit was real, but has been defeated for at least the past couple of months !

Hey Brochaos, you said that you have a 250 GB in? So the 137 GB limit is false?

what forster said :)

well it's still running fine. 75gb left. i was a little worried, since it's still rather new, but so far so good.

Have you done any other mods BroChaos?? I was thinking of slapping on some heatsinks, upgrading the dvd drive and changing the leds. Just have to find the courage to do it myself...a little reluctant to do so as I've spent plenty already.

nope, no other mods...

i'm a simple guy. i actually like it being black, and the led from the mod chip is bright enough already. my dvd drive is a samsung and reads everything, so i'm happy with it. the only thing i'll consider doing is the on off switch put in the controller. nothing's worse than being all comfortable on your couch and then having to get up to turn the xbox on...

well it's still running fine. 75gb left. i was a little worried, since it's still rather new, but so far so good.

Damn, when did you find out or who found out that we could go bigger than 137 GB? I'm glad that we can go bigger than 137 GB. What brand of HD are you using Brochaos?

what's best to mod xbox? i mean what are the reasons?

i've been thinking about it...but how can we trust the online store...if say they ask us to send ours and they will mod it for us...what if they change our hardware without our knowledge? just curious :)

AndyD: have you had any success with DVD-R media with your Thompson? I have a Thompson too.

I haven't gotten around to actually buying a dvdburner as of yet to be honest. I keep putting it off as I'm not sure if its worth buying the plexter i've been eyeing for the past couple of weeks. I know TDK cdrws work just fine.

what's best to mod xbox? i mean what are the reasons?

i've been thinking about it...but how can we trust the online store...if say they ask us to send ours and they will mod it for us...what if they change our hardware without our knowledge? just curious :)

1) Get it modded - rent a game, copy it to your HDD and then burn it to a DVD, you never have to buy a $50 game again.

2) Buy a game, back it up to your HDD and enjoy quicker loading times, and keep that $50 title in pristine condition

2) Homebrew software and games - turn your Xbox into a (better) multimedia center

3) Run Linux on your box, you have a full featured Linux PC in minutes (... of downloading the iso :whistle: )

4) Stick all your pr0n mpegs and pics on a dvd / cd and watch it through Xbox :p :shifty:

Also, get recommendations of modders from local friends / stores so you dont get screwed.

well it's still running fine.  75gb left.  i was a little worried, since it's still rather new, but so far so good.

Damn, when did you find out or who found out that we could go bigger than 137 GB? I'm glad that we can go bigger than 137 GB. What brand of HD are you using Brochaos?

a guy named paul_ozb figured it out. (i think i got his name right, it's paul_something). i have a western digital 250gb 8mb cache wd2500jbrtl.

I haven't gotten around to actually buying a dvdburner as of yet to be honest. I keep putting it off as I'm not sure if its worth buying the plexter i've been eyeing for the past couple of weeks. I know TDK cdrws work just fine.

thanks.

well it's still running fine.? 75gb left.? i was a little worried, since it's still rather new, but so far so good.

a guy named paul_ozb figured it out. (i think i got his name right, it's paul_something). i have a western digital 250gb 8mb cache wd2500jbrtl.

Ok BroChaos, so what has to be done in order to bypass the 137 GB limit so I can get on the 250 GB bandwagon? That's a very good HD man, I read the specs on it. How much faster is your load times with that baby? If you have it, I'm curious to know how much faster True Crimes' loading times are. Also taking into account that you have the game backed up on your HD. I haven't gotten a modded xbox yet, but i will soon. So that's why I try to stay tuned to these modded xbox forums on the net and get the latest info. Thanks!

um, not sure how the loading times on TC are, i can time it when i get home if ya want :)

honestly, it's been forever since i've actually played a game off of the dvd, i forget how big the difference is. the convience of never having to go through your stack of games is what does it for me though.

to get >137gb, you need to patch your bios. i use the xecuter 4977 bios, and you use xbtool to patch it. you can get xbtool in the utilities section at xbox scene, under bios tools.