Modded Xbox thread

Everyone asking questions should check out:

http://xbox-scene.com/

They have useful forums and tons of tips for picking out/installing a modchip.

A word of advice from me -- If you are getting or currently have a modchip, don't waste your money on Xbox Live! or the DVD kit. Use XBconnect to play online(You can play any multiplayer games online with it[Even non Xbox-Live games like Halo]) and one of the many DVD programs to play DVDs.

If you need any Xbox software, go to #xbins on EFNet and get access to the ftp; the instructions should be in the topic

Edit: oops, meant .com. Thanks jonMEGA

Actually, I'm thinking of buying a DVD kit anyway, to get the remote. Seeing as you can control XBMP with it also. And I will be using the Xbox a lot for media viewing so.. I'll see if I have any money over though, it's not like I really need it :)

So you guys are saying that inorder to play on Live with a modchip, you need to switch the mod off and lock the harddrive? How will you save stuff on it then? And why do you need to lock the hard drive? :huh:

someone pm'd me about a modded Xbox that i might get and i could not reply because the user name is all screwed up.

so here's my reply. :)

well, if you live in southern california (anaheim area) there is a computer store where the guy does it for you. you bring your xbox to him and pick it up the next day. you come back anytime you want to add on a game.

So you guys are saying that inorder to play on Live with a modchip, you need to switch the mod off and lock the harddrive? How will you save stuff on it then? And why do you need to lock the hard drive? :huh:

No. You don't have to worry about locking, unlocking unless you're taking out the Xbox HD and putting it in your PC. You just leave it locked all the time if it's staying in the Xbox.

As for the switch, yeah, when you want to play on live just flip the switch, easy. Mines' a tiny, tiny (read 3mm x 6mm) on the underside of joypad port one, very well hidden, very neat, very easy to access.

guys i am not really into chips because i dont know what they are... Can someone briefly tell me why would I want to have a chip in my xbox? and is it legal?

Where do I buy this "limited edition green" premodded xbox?I wouldnt mind buying one of those :) (I'm buying enough comps lately, why not add to it ;) )

guys i am not really into chips because i dont know what they are... Can someone briefly tell me why would I want to have a chip in my xbox? and is it legal?

what can you do with a mod? hmmm. bascially run code thats not been signed by microsoft, eg; the emulators, the software and everything else, also you can play backedup games :ninja: is it illegal? in the us under the DMCA its illegal, even if you use it just for emulators and stuff and dont have any backups of games, your circumventing copywright protection and the DMCA screws you up the 'stench trench' with that hardcore.

I have been into the xbox scene for some time now and it's so great. I have 3 xbox'es for every thinkable use one! With XBMP you have your own Media Center PC, you can watch movie incl subtitles, view pictures, listen to music and all controllable with the xbox remote control. There are so many more great apps for the xbox and it keeps on getting better every day. The latest replacement of the original XBOX Dashboard is a very good example the name is Avalaunch! one of it's coolest features is IRC chat from your xbox! :D go check out Avalaunch homepage for more info.. really its *(&(*^% great! here are some screenshots for ure viewing pleasure! last one thing, I'm a Dutchman so the text on the screenshots is dutch. :D

Avalaunch Sreenshot 1

Avalaunch Sreenshot 2

Avalaunch Sreenshot 3

Greetings to all XBOX lovers ;)

RvBCrS

The Xbox dash? There is also an earlier version of DVD-X which just patched the MS DVD player to be multi-region (so no prog. scan).

Seems I'm gonna have to get hold of that. I need region free. I can't patch the dash though can I because it's been updated with Xbox Live.

The dash I would not know for sure, as I don't have XBL. XBMP has experimental DVD support. Supposed to be nearly complete, but the menu support is incomplete (from what I read). You might want to give that a try. In the new v2.4 there's an option in the settings menu to enable DVD playback.

nice one Dazzla

*btw did you not get my PM *

Just caught it, feel free to add me. I don't have much time to play during the week though.

Whilst we've got all the xbox modders in one place :D I've got a question. I've just set XBMP as my default dash cause it rocks, but filezilla doesn't like me. I've added evox as a menu item in My Programs, but I can't link directly to the executable, I have to link to "c:\". My applications part of the config looks like this atm:

<applications>
       <bookmark>
         <name>Xbox Games</name>
         <path>f:\XboxGames</path>
       </bookmark>
       <bookmark>
         <name>Emulation</name>
         <path>f:\games</path>
       </bookmark>
       <bookmark>
         <name>Applications</name>
         <path>f:\apps</path>
       </bookmark>
       <bookmark>
         <name>EvoX</name>
         <path>c:\</path>
       </bookmark>
    </applications>

I tried having it as <path>c:\evox.ebe</path> (I've renamed the evox file so I can have XBMP as my default dash) but nothing happens.

Did you make a .cut file for EvoX? You could link to that, I think. The way I set mine up was to use the bookmarks folder in XBMP's folder as a location to store all my shortcuts. I'd end up with something like this:

\xbplayer
        \Bookmarks
          \Apps
           \Games
            \Emus

In each folder under the bookmarks, I'd place .cut files linking to all the appropriate programs. Then in my config file, I pointed the bookmarks at those 3 folders. Works simple enough.

Just got my X2.1 Lite in the mail. I'm still waiting for my 15w soldering pencil though. I have a 50w soldering iron right next to me, but I'm hesitant to use it as it might be too hot. Does anyone know for sure? I'd like to play around with XBMP ASAP :D If it is too hot, I'll just have to wait until tomorrow I guess.

Also, I don't have any flux. Will I be able to solder it anyway? Seeing as how the X2.1 Lite wires are already tinned and stuff.

Edited by cerbero

Bleh. My soldering skills weren't up to par. Ohwell, at least I managed not to break anything :)

Gonna ask a technician my dad works with this weekend instead..