Confused about home cinema kit

Soon, I'm getting a new tv, and a 5.1 home cinema kit (with hdmi) /i plug the home cinema into my tv and everything should be fine.

Then say i was to buy a ps3 and plug that via hdmi into my tv, would I get sound out of my TV or does the ps3 need to plug directly into the back of the home cinema?

well, plugging it directly into your tv would bypass the 5.1 surround. So, depending on what type of kit your getting, then you would plug the PS3's HDMI directly into the home cinema.

Bugger, I saw a sony 5.1 home cinema kit, but now I know there actually ****. Because if I wanted to plug my xbox, ps3 and wii, and eventually a blu ray, then I probably need a stupidly expensive one?

It depends, if you're TV has an audio out link and the 5.1 receiver has a compatible input, you should be able to bypass the TV speakers with settings in the TV menu. At least that's how mine would work if I had a receiver (don't at the moment unfortunately). Going directly into the receiver then outputting the video back to the TV would be best, but receivers with that many inputs are expensive, and I wouldn't recommend a splitter personally, never liked any of the ones I've tried.