Windows 7 House Party

Eagle has arrived to Cali UPS terminal from Missouri. Expect incoming Wed.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether Sig. Edition Win7 Ultimate would work to upgrade RTM Win7 Ultimate using repair/upgrade install, saving programs/settings - everything except activation and custom graphics settings, as per usual repair install? Seems like it's worth a try since everything is perfect now with RTM.

if you already have the rtm installed, just input the key from the box and thats it, no need to reinstall or do the upgrade/repair trick.

Dont think ill get mine to friday now :( was sent last night from Bridgeton, MO then got to Cincinnati Hub, OH and it only departed there for god knows where a few hours ago, so its still gotta fly to the uk yet lol

What a disappointing centrepiece, haha. Did the Windows 7 Ultimate discs come inside the sleeve, or were they separate?

It appears that the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition is just a standard promotional copy, like mine, with a fancy cardboard sleeve. Then again, it is free :p

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9378/wi...timatediscs.jpg

There's a 32-bit disc in the cardboard sleeve, and a 64-bit one in the white pocket.

There's a 32-bit disc in the cardboard sleeve, and a 64-bit one in the white pocket.

I received my party pack this afternoon; I'd only received notification of shipment YESTERDAY and it made it OVERNIGHT from Missouri to Georgia via UPS, but the tracking site said it came via 'Ground' -- nice!

The outer box is Windows 7 branded, as those pictures above reflect. Yep, the centerpiece is boring and I can't even get it to stand up straight -- I was expecting something cool with ribbons and crap, maybe a handy place to store chips and dip, haha.

Deck of cards, totebag, bag of balloons, four packs of streamers, puzzle, it's all here. Both x64 and 32 bit versions. Upgrading my primary machine from Vista right now!

(I know many have said clean install is the optimal way --- but I have 100 applications installed. I keep my larger files (ISOs, music, movies) off my Windows drive so there isn't a ton of data for the installer to copy around so it shouldnt take the 20 hours many people were freaking out about [that's a worst case user with 650GB of data], plus I keep my install very tidy and clean, so shouldn't cause performance issues -- we'll see!).

Awesome, just got my third email telling me to start planning my party :p
i got this sunday night i think
Still have yet to received my shipping confirmation.
me too... i hope its still on
What a disappointing centrepiece, haha. Did the Windows 7 Ultimate discs come inside the sleeve, or were they separate?

It appears that the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition is just a standard promotional copy, like mine, with a fancy cardboard sleeve. Then again, it is free :p

windows7ultimatediscs.jpg

yeah i was expecting the fancy plastic case :( for fricks sake they are putting all these other goodies in there couldnt they spare the 5 more cents and include the plastic case??

oh well free is free.. is there a product key inside the sleeve? or did they write that down on a scrap of toilet paper?

I didnt get the deck of cards :( It's not even in the invoice list
are you in the U.S.A? i dont think Brits get the cards not sure though....

I received my party pack this afternoon; I'd only received notification of shipment YESTERDAY and it made it OVERNIGHT from Missouri to Georgia via UPS, but the tracking site said it came via 'Ground' -- nice!

The outer box is Windows 7 branded, as those pictures above reflect. Yep, the centerpiece is boring and I can't even get it to stand up straight -- I was expecting something cool with ribbons and crap, maybe a handy place to store chips and dip, haha.

Deck of cards, totebag, bag of balloons, four packs of streamers, puzzle, it's all here. Both x64 and 32 bit versions. Upgrading my primary machine from Vista right now!

(I know many have said clean install is the optimal way --- but I have 100 applications installed. I keep my larger files (ISOs, music, movies) off my Windows drive so there isn't a ton of data for the installer to copy around so it shouldnt take the 20 hours many people were freaking out about [that's a worst case user with 650GB of data], plus I keep my install very tidy and clean, so shouldn't cause performance issues -- we'll see!).

I plan on doing the upgrade as well, I do the same thing with larger files, etc., so if you can please report back and let me know how it went. According to UPS I get my package tomorrow and depending on the answer to my question below I also may very well install Ultimate tomorrow.

And I only used 7 a bit awhile back, and it was not on my home network it was while I was on the road on a loaner netbook actually, so while this may potentially sound like a dumb question I have to ask it. Right now I have 3 windows comps on my home network, my laptop, my wife's netbook, and my gaming PC. My laptop is eligible for the free upgrade since I purchased it about a month ago, my wife's netbook I purchased the Home edition on Amazon.com, so I plan on using Ultimate for my gaming pc which right now has Vista Ultimate 64 on it.

So currently all of my computers are all networked to each other, so I will not have any issues when I install 7 first on my gaming comp still keeping them all networked will I?

Basically I am curious if I should just wait to install 7 on all of them at the same time, or will I be okay?

I keep my larger files (ISOs, music, movies) off my Windows drive so there isn't a ton of data for the installer to copy around so it shouldnt take the 20 hours many people were freaking out about [that's a worst case user with 650GB of data], plus I keep my install very tidy and clean, so shouldn't cause performance issues -- we'll see!).

me too i have 2 physical hard drives.. i just keep windows and what ever files firefox wants to download on my hard drive. and i only have 2 programs pretty lame and a waste of a 320 gig hard drive

my 500gig hard drive is only about 12% full and it has all my **** for the past year or so on it

I have one 500GB external hard drive which has everything on it, all my programs, applications, songs, videos etc. So when I do a new install, I just reformat my internal drive and Windows 7 takes about 20 minutes to install, then I just copy everything over again :)

I plan on doing the upgrade as well, I do the same thing with larger files, etc., so if you can please report back and let me know how it went. According to UPS I get my package tomorrow and depending on the answer to my question below I also may very well install Ultimate tomorrow.

And I only used 7 a bit awhile back, and it was not on my home network it was while I was on the road on a loaner netbook actually, so while this may potentially sound like a dumb question I have to ask it. Right now I have 3 windows comps on my home network, my laptop, my wife's netbook, and my gaming PC. My laptop is eligible for the free upgrade since I purchased it about a month ago, my wife's netbook I purchased the Home edition on Amazon.com, so I plan on using Ultimate for my gaming pc which right now has Vista Ultimate 64 on it.

So currently all of my computers are all networked to each other, so I will not have any issues when I install 7 first on my gaming comp still keeping them all networked will I?

Basically I am curious if I should just wait to install 7 on all of them at the same time, or will I be okay?

Well I'm back up and running with Windows 7!

I would say the process took about 2-3 hours; my primary hard drive had about 170 of 250 GB in use. I think the only files it really actually moves around are the user files like Pictures and Music, if you keep those in the default locations. Like I said, my music is on its own 80GB hard drive so nothing to move there - just about 15GB of pictures.

Performance seems OKAY so far... Im having a tough time telling whether some lags and stutters are due to indexing or not - I know Vista and 7 take a while to get everything indexed properly and there can be some sluggishness and hard drive churning during those times.

The installer did not proceed without telling me I had to uninstall Alcohol 52% - that was the only compatibility issue that kept me from moving forward. So far everything is testing OK --- I even got XP Mode up and running with Cisco VPN Client!

If you keep a clean machine, give it a shot and really analyze your performance.

Regarding your networked machines, I don't think this would be an issue at all -- if you did a clean install, just make sure any shares you had on your machine, you re-established the same way, or you might break any drive mappings you might have set up.

Good luck!

mine has just arrived to me in the UK and it was only shipped from the US yesterday! Everything is in the pack.

Just 1 question,

On the notes that come with it, it says;

'This key is only valid for one installation'

So does that mean if i ever need to format my machine from scratch, i cannot install the Windows 7 disc again?

mine has just arrived to me in the UK and it was only shipped from the US yesterday! Everything is in the pack.

Just 1 question,

On the notes that come with it, it says;

'This key is only valid for one installation'

So does that mean if i ever need to format my machine from scratch, i cannot install the Windows 7 disc again?

No, you should be able to re-install on the same hardware configuration. I believe what they really mean is that you can only use the product key to install Windows 7 on one computer (instead of loading up every machine in your house with it).

My party pack has been shipped out through DHL, left Ohio very early this morning and I'm in the eastern part of Canada so it should be interesting to see when it gets here, I'm guessing tomorrow.

thanks for that, that should be ok then, as long as i can use it on the same PC incase I ever need to format it.

I was very suprised to see it turn up this morning when it was still in america yesterday, good delivery service

If you have a problem reactivating you should be able to call the Microsoft Product Activation Centre (the phone number is provided in the Windows activation window if you choose the telephone option or if online activation fails), they'll ask you for a long installation ID, and then ask how many PCs do you have Windows installed on, then give you a confirmation ID to punch in on the PC and that's all there is to it.

No, you should be able to re-install on the same hardware configuration. I believe what they really mean is that you can only use the product key to install Windows 7 on one computer (instead of loading up every machine in your house with it).

"My friend" was thinking of doing that, what would happen if "my friend" tried to install it on his home PC and Laptop. 1 installation of x86 and 1 installation of x64..

"My friend" was thinking of doing that, what would happen if "my friend" tried to install it on his home PC and Laptop. 1 installation of x86 and 1 installation of x64..

It wouldn't work. Starting with Windows Vista, product keys can be used for both 32-bit and 64-bit, however you'd be unable to activate the software on more than one machine regardless of what architecture is used.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the ?licensed computer.?

d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

Essentially what would happen is this:

1. Your friend installs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on his desktop PC and activates it successfully.

2. Your friend then installs Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on his notebook PC with the same product key, activation fails.

It wouldn't work. Starting with Windows Vista, product keys can be used for both 32-bit and 64-bit, however you'd be unable to activate the software on more than one machine regardless of what architecture is used.

Essentially what would happen is this:

1. Your friend installs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on his desktop PC and activates it successfully.

2. Your friend then installs Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on his notebook PC with the same product key, activation fails.

That's what i thought, i take it system information gets sent back to Microsoft? I have installed the same XP on different computers several times, when i had built new computers... i would just call the MS activation thing and that would allow me to activate it regardless of how many computers it had been installed on. Does it not work like this anymore?

That's what i thought, i take it system information gets sent back to Microsoft? I have installed the same XP on different computers several times, when i had built new computers... i would just call the MS activation thing and that would allow me to activate it regardless of how many computers it had been installed on. Does it not work like this anymore?

It was never 'supposed' to work like that, and its still not 'supposed' to so im guessing not much will have changed.

Yes, there is a hash that is sent to Microsoft which contains information about the hardware in the system (motherboard, network card, hard drive etc.) along with information about what version/edition of Windows you are using as well as your product key. Even if you were to attempt activating it on the second computer, it would fail and you would need to speak to a product activation phone agent. And, theoretically, even if you were to manage to sneak it past them, Windows Genuine Advantage is going to see that you have the same product key in use on two different machines and mark it as non-Genuine/improperly licensed.

Just don't do it. If you need a second copy of Windows 7 for your other PC, you could pick up an OEM copy on the 22nd for a decent price and stay legit.