Windows 7 House Party

Hee hee... According to DHL my Party Pack just left Cincinnati about 3 hours ago. We'll see how long it takes to get to the frozen far-north :)

my party pack has arrived, what is with the big bags for all the guests, they should have came with goodies for each person.

maybe i'll buy a cake with 7 candles aww

Well I'm back up and running with Windows 7!

I would say the process took about 2-3 hours; my primary hard drive had about 170 of 250 GB in use. I think the only files it really actually moves around are the user files like Pictures and Music, if you keep those in the default locations. Like I said, my music is on its own 80GB hard drive so nothing to move there - just about 15GB of pictures.

Performance seems OKAY so far... Im having a tough time telling whether some lags and stutters are due to indexing or not - I know Vista and 7 take a while to get everything indexed properly and there can be some sluggishness and hard drive churning during those times.

The installer did not proceed without telling me I had to uninstall Alcohol 52% - that was the only compatibility issue that kept me from moving forward. So far everything is testing OK --- I even got XP Mode up and running with Cisco VPN Client!

If you keep a clean machine, give it a shot and really analyze your performance.

Regarding your networked machines, I don't think this would be an issue at all -- if you did a clean install, just make sure any shares you had on your machine, you re-established the same way, or you might break any drive mappings you might have set up.

Good luck!

Cool thanks for the feedback. (Y)

I realized I very well may have to do a clean install, and perhaps someone can help me out here.

On my Gaming PC, which I plan on installing this Ultimate copy, I do a dual boot of Vista and XP. To get that working I had to Do Some Process.

So does anyone know am I even going to be able to install 7 over Vista without messing up my Dual Boot to XP I had to set up?

If so I will just do a clean install.

Cool thanks for the feedback. (Y)

I realized I very well may have to do a clean install, and perhaps someone can help me out here.

On my Gaming PC, which I plan on installing this Ultimate copy, I do a dual boot of Vista and XP. To get that working I had to Do Some Process.

So does anyone know am I even going to be able to install 7 over Vista without messing up my Dual Boot to XP I had to set up?

If so I will just do a clean install.

Why are you dual-booting XP still?

Your copy of Ultimate has XP Mode -- I tried it out yesterday -- VERY cool stuff.

You run a virtual XP machine inside Virtual PC, but then any application that gets installed (or shortcutted) into the Program Files folder on that machine gets automatically pushed into your Win7 start menu as "App Name (XP Mode)". Launching that app actually fires up the virtual machine in the background but you run it like it's just another window open on the machine. You just can't use it for 3D stuff, and I understand that gaming is the reason why many people are still dual-booting with XP... but gaming performance on 7 is supposed to be even improved from Vista, which improved after the service packs were delivered.

If you did want to maintain your setup, I wonder if you could just boot up Vista, load the CD from inside Windows and start the upgrade there.

Mine came around 12:30

Apart from the tote bags, playing cards (going camping next week, will keep us all amused with some strip poker) and the actual dvd's, i binned the rest of the crap. Going to make my own "goodie bags" up using the tote bags

post-35465-1255017878_thumb.jpg

I don't see how getting free stuff is lame.

Fact: Some people will never be happy, even when it's free stuff

Personally, i'm rather pleased

Fact: Some people will never be happy, even when it's free stuff

Personally, i'm rather pleased

Same here, really happy... we probably wont even use the extra stuff but i'm going to keep hold of it anyway.

I got mine yesterday via UPS. I spent my time last night preparing my system for a full install, doing a back up to my MediaSmart Server as well as a "copy all" (so to speak) to my external hard drive. I should be good to get it up and running tonight!

Same here, really happy... we probably wont even use the extra stuff but i'm going to keep hold of it anyway.

Aren't you suppose to have an actual party? That's the reason you signed up to be a House Party Host, right? I do kind of wonder what Microsoft will to do those who don't go ahead with the house party though.. :/

Aren't you suppose to have an actual party? That's the reason you signed up to be a House Party Host, right? I do kind of wonder what Microsoft will to do those who don't go ahead with the house party though.. :/

I'd find something else to be thinking about tbh. They aren't going to do anything.

Who said i'm not having a party? i just don't see the point in sticking a poster up and laying out napkins, i'm 23 year old i have no intentions of doing a windows 7 jigsaw puzzle with my friends lol. after we have messed around with windows 7 we'll probably play games and enjoy a pizza or somethin'. Those playing cards will probably get some use though. I also have no intentions of putting photo's online (therefore MS has no indication of whether i have a party or not), who wants to see them? non of my friends blog or are into that sort of thing.

It's a kool idea but i do feel only a small percentage will throw a party. I think you really need to be a 'tech guy' and know a group of people who share the same hobby to fully enjoy an actual windows 7 themed party.

No, you should be able to re-install on the same hardware configuration. I believe what they really mean is that you can only use the product key to install Windows 7 on one computer (instead of loading up every machine in your house with it).

In the past, a retail version belonged to the owner, while an OEM version belonged to the motherboard. Thus a retail copy of XP Home we purchased 10 years ago was able to migrate to three successive different machines, when the machine it was installed upon died or was phased out.

The standard was that you can only have it on one machine at a time. Period.

Isn't this the case with this Signature Edition? It is a retail version, correct? Subject to retail version activation rules?

Here's another one: We are going to use OEM XP and Vista versions which came with the machines to upgrade using our pre-sale Win7 Premium upgrades. I understand these will be de-activated as soon as Win7 overwrites them with the upgrade. But if we choose to clean-resinstall the underlying XP or Vista, can they be reactivated? And can the upgrades then be moved to another machine?

Likewise, if we chose to do the Win7 upgrade over the retail XP copy, it deactivates the XP as it overwrites it. Then can it be re-activated if we uninstall the upgrade and clean resinstall the retail XP and/or the Win7 upgrade on the same or another machine?

Edited by gregrocker

guys have any of you seen this

has this been posted already?

Now, in the UK that's cheesy as hell... but in America that's.. normal, everyday life? lolol