Immortality only 20 years away says scientist

Many people have suggested that this would be reserved for the rich. They're correct to a point. Most new innovations are initially reserved for the rich, but it has been the consistent trend that those things once unreachable become commonplace. Examples; cars, personal computers, cell phones, video recorders, air travel, etc. etc.

The rich may be the first, but they won't be the last. You may worry that some totalitarian control system would deny everyone but the elite the privilege of unlimited life. Such a condition would be unmaintainable. Can you imagine the unrest that would cause? Revolt would be unavoidable.

As for the time frame, I am less optimistic. It may be that in 25 years we may know how it could be done, but I suspect it would be closer to 35 or 40 years before it would be actually accomplished. Still, I should still be around. I'd convert my retirement savings into immortality in a heartbeat.

If you let people stay forever young, say it was actually possible without side effects - this will lead to overpopulation and all the problems associated with it. I don't know how positive this would be - if that meant being somehow part machine. I think that would really take away the societal and biological aspect of being human.

And if people could live "forever" wouldn't that make us less productive in that we will value our time less cause we would have an infinite amount?

• 1 year later...

Well if this does happen, tho 20yrs hmm. Things like living on Mars or indeed other planets would require a whole new set of technologys. Weve still to overcome what to do when covering great distance in space i.e light years and then theres the g-force on various planetry surfaces etc. I dont fancy having to overcome that and whilst it may all be possible with Nano technology, it will also bring a whole set of problems such as what happens when said tech fails etc etc.

Nice ideas but way way off.

Then ofc theres the living forever. At what point down the line is enuff, enuff? I mean whilst we may not be overcrowding in some places yet, weve seen it touched upon in the Far East and if no ones dying and say were at a point where space travel in mass or indeed how we deal with suspended hibernation for all that distance etc etc is an issue . Nah this is just gonna create more problems.

Use it responsibley and build a failsafe in, we shouldnt not age or not die. Plus if we get over the fact that a human mind is needed in any case no matter how advanced we may get in cybernetics. It still leaves the issue of decay and insanity. Ofc if alternative to that is Cybernetic brains theres the issue of virus` or hardware failure.

Nothing lasts forever. Not even the universe itself. Tho Im told thats not for something like 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to the power of a trillion years. By then ofc Earth and its galaxy will have collided with others meaning our galaxy would be lost to time and indeed space. So by then well either be living within or on neutron stars where nano tech would be useless as an inflatable dartboard, or jus dashin about space until everything is returned to the void.

So Ill pass for now...

Over population is over hyped... if resources were distributed equally ALL the population of the world could live in the USA and use other countries solely for agriculture/production etc.

This may be for the super rich initially but a couple decades later the technology will advance even further and costs will come down opening it up to the middle class. True immortality and the scope of advances this article talks about would be the end game and more than 20 years off. The start being artificial organs becoming commonplace. If we're still here in a hundred years time we'll hopefully have been able to figure out FTL travel opening up the the rest of the galaxy to colonisation which would put a quick end to problems of overpopulation.

Besides, through your hand up if you're not actually interested in living forever. I prefer the idea of reincarnation. Id get to check out the future that way.