Twilight Author Stephanie Meyer

KLadD.jpg

Stephanie Meyer, the author of Twilight, evidently writes more than just sparkly teen vampire romances. Her first ?adult? novel is The Host, not to be confused with the Korean monster movie whose title translates as the same. The Host involves interstellar parasites that use people as hosts and remake human society into something very different. (Shades of Robert Heinlein?s The Puppet Masters there.) Now, the novel has been bought by independent producers, who have recruited Gattaca writer/director Andrew Niccol to adapt the novel and direct.

As we recently mentioned, Niccol is currently at work on The Cross. But as Variety reports, he?ll then turn to The Host, thanks in large part to Meyer?s own list of favorite films. When producers Nick Wechsler, Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz asked Meyer what some of her favorite science fiction films are, she mentioned Niccol projects Gattaca and The Truman Show. The trade says he ?sparked? to the job after reading the book and meeting producers and Meyer; the notion of being able to make a film in his preferred genre that could siphon off some of Twilight?s audience probably didn?t hurt, either.

Here?s the Publisher?s Weekly des

[benevolent] planet-hopping parasites are inserting their silvery centipede selves into human brains, curing cancer, eliminating war and turning Earth into paradise. But some people want Earth back, warts and all, especially Melanie Stryder, who refuses to surrender, even after being captured in Chicago and becoming a host for a Soul [as the parasites call themselves] called Wanderer. Melanie uses her surviving brain cells to persuade Wanderer to help search for her loved ones in the Arizona desert. When the pair find Melanie?s brother and her boyfriend in a hidden rebel cell led by her uncle, Wanderer is at first hated. Once the rebels accept Wanderer, whom they dub Wanda, Wanda?s whole perspective on humanity changes. While the straightforward narrative is short on detail about the invasion and its stunning aftermath, it shines with romantic intrigue, especially when a love triangle (or quadrangle?!) develops for Wanda/Melanie.ops for Wanda/Melanie.

[slash film]

The Host involves interstellar parasites that use people as hosts and remake human society into something very different.

sounds very "Body Snatchers" to me :ninja:

• 1 year later...

Mw3lz.jpg

Saoirse Ronan has been set to star in The Host, the screen adaptation of the bestselling novel by Twilight Saga author Stephenie Meyer. Scripted by Andrew Niccol, the film figures to be one of the hot titles when Inferno launches sales at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival next week. Niccol, who was originally set to direct, might resurface as the filmmaker.

Ronan, the Oscar-nominated star of Atonement, The Lovely Bones and most recently Hanna, will play Melanie Stryder, one of the last humans putting up a fight against an alien species called Souls. These parasites invade human bodies, fuse to each person's consciousness and systematically erase their personalities. Melanie is captured by the aliens and implanted by a Soul called Wanderer, something of a legend because of all of the "hosts" she has attached to on numerous planets. Wanderer's goal is to get Melanie to give up the remaining pockets of humans, but instead the alien finds Melanie to be unique in her unwillingness to surrender her consciousness. Wanderer is so overwhelmed by Melanie's memories and feelings, the alien is driven to reconnect with Melanie's old life.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/twilight-saga-author-stephenie-meyers-the-host-lands-saoirse-ronan-to-star/

• 10 months later...

Yep, they've been filming "The Host" here in Baton Rouge lately. And apparently there is a scene filmed in the Bonnet Carre spillway. They also filmed parts of "Twilight: Breaking Dawn" here too.

This woman is making a ton of money with her unoriginal stories with a ton of cliches, at least in my opinion shes a horrible writer.

horrible... but rich.

sounds about right in modern times.

ok, here comes another twilight fab, now with alien parasites....hurrrayy.

is it me or this is a rip off of some movies and books that were already released??

body snatchers anyone???

I remember the gf reading this, but I can't remember whether she liked it or not.

I wonder if it was as memorable to your gf... lol I really don't get the interest in this woman's story telling.