• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can I trust the dealer's mechanical inspection on a used car?

include    0

[You can skip to the last line if you don't want to read all that!]

I'm almost decided on a car I heavily bargained for...a 2005 economy sedan with about 60k km (about 37k miles) on it. It had to go through an out-of-province mechanical inspection (necessary before vehicle registration) and it turned up leaking struts, replacable for $500. We worked out a price adjustment and the dealer expects my final say tomorrow.

It's a good sign that this issue actually turned up since you get the feeling that they're actually doing their job, but do you think they might be hiding something else from me? There is a possibility, however minimal, that they're not replacing anything but just coming up with something to jack the price...I guess what I'm trying to ask is...if you're buying a car from, say a GM dealer, and they agreed to your request to a thorough mechanical inspection, would you trust the outcome of that inspection?

ivan300    0

No I would not trust an in house mechanic. I would either take it to another mechanic, or have a mechanic come in to look at it.

astralbaby    8

agreed. ^

Cvrt7.62Ghst    1

:rofl:

No. And while we are at it, no.

:rofl:

*sigh*

I work as a salesmen at a car lot in Washington state, and I can tell you that even though the company has a (somewhat) good reputation, and is one of the largest companies in the state, I would never buy a car off our lot.

FloatingFatMan    19,183

In the UK, the AA (Automobile Association) offer a service, for a fee, where they will do a full inspection of a car you're interested in. If you're spending a lot of money on a car, it's GOT to be worth spending a little more and having it inspected properly. Not sure if many dealerships would actually let you do that though...

Ferret    6

Thats a bad idea !

They are just increasing the price, at not doing any work at all !

+John.    1,395

Take it to another mechanic. All mechanics will try and do you over one way or another, but it's still advisable to take it to another place.

shockz    6,563

Ask for it to be certified. It costs them money, but once a used car is certified, the warranty coverage is usually increased. This protects you from shady dealarships. I'd try finding a car already certified.

Ford for example will bump the 60,000 mile warranty up to 100,000 miles when a car is certified.

Broken sturts at 37,000 miles indicate the car is either using cheap components or driven hard.

Bad thing about getting a car certified is if you have bad credit, your interest rate goes up.

sc302    1,770
Take it to another mechanic. All mechanics will try and do you over one way or another, but it's still advisable to take it to another place.

depends on the mechanic. I know of one that doesn't (I get away with paying for parts and not paying for labor, i guess they are the benifits of being related and him being my godfather).

winrez    120

Take it to another mechanic and get it checked even if it costs $100 it might save you 10X that in repairs down the road :)