Windows 7 Media Player songs skip towards the end

I am posting this here because I don't know if this is an issue with 7 or Windows Media Player. Anyways, when I am playing an MP3 in WMP all my songs seem to lag/skip on the last 20 seconds of the song. The songs will stutter and my CPU usage will spike for a seconds then the song finishes. All my Mp3s are not corrupt or anything, they play normal on my Creative Zen. Does anyone know what could be causing this, its very annoying.

Ive disabled crossfading in WMP and and all enhancements in the Sound Control Panel

According to Dells driver site, my sound card is a Sigmatel 92xx HD. I have tried using the built in windows 7 drivers and dells Vista drivers for this card as there is no Windows 7 driver yet. Both yield the same problem. Just a reminder though this only happends in Windows Media player, I also have tried using the new Zune software and this does not occur. I have no WMA music files either

I've got the same audio card in my XPS M1530 and I'm plauged with audio skips coming from my music (at any point in the stream). I've tried loads of different configurations and different media players and so far haven't found anything that works.

The problem exists with either the drivers Windows Update finds, or using Dell's drivers (R190517.exe).

Zachdms, what's this ctmp3.acm and is it relevant to my problem? I couldn't find it on my computer at all.

same here, currently my configuration shows that its using the Microsoft driver with the Sigmatel codec.

I wonder if it will make a difference if I switch to the Dolby Digital output to my audio receiver

I've actually found positive results from using Winamp, with the option "Allow hardware acceleration" disabled and the process priority set to high.

The first option can be found in the direct sound plugin configuration dialouge box and the latter in "General Preferences".

It could so easily just come back unexpectedly at any point as it's always been really infrequent but I've been listening to music for an hour now and haven't noticed any sound stutters.