Final Version of Free Microsoft Security Essentials tomorrow!

I have been using this since the beta and I love it. It's quick, light and does a thorough job. I'm very surprised. But for my more paranoid friends, I still recommend Avira.

Go to the Settings tab - Scheduled Scan and sert it up to run a daily scan at a time of your choosing. Then select the check box below to check for definitions prior to scanning. Then the suite will run the update the definitions daily without having to do it manually.

this still doesn't prevent MSE from putting virus definition updates in the windows update history on windows 7, vista, etc.

it still suffers from a major slowness when you access the screensavers even on windows 7 so that sounds like a bug that never got fixed.

Uses way more memory than Avira even in background. I'll give it a few more days to see if it's as good as touted.

It's using 44 MB of RAM for the background process and 2.5 MB for the front-end.

Hardly something to worry about.

Could someone who is running the RTW/final version of MSE tell me if running an elevated Command Prompt by clicking Start, typing cmd.exe and hitting CTRL-Shift-Enter still causes Windows Explorer to crash? It's a bug from the MSE beta that wasn't resolved in the updated beta build and I haven't bothered to install the final to find out.

It seems other AV vendors are trash talking Security Essentials in a bid to downplay the effectiveness of MS' product, which the core itself has been in business security use for years (Forefront) and been very effective too.

Slashdot has the lowdown and as usual, the bulk of sharp and witty comments:

When Pressed, Symantec admitted they were actually describing their own products, burst into tears, and chugged the rest of the bottle of whiskey.

:p

Could someone who is running the RTW/final version of MSE tell me if running an elevated Command Prompt by clicking Start, typing cmd.exe and hitting CTRL-Shift-Enter still causes Windows Explorer to crash? It's a bug from the MSE beta that wasn't resolved in the updated beta build and I haven't bothered to install the final to find out.

Works without any crash here. (Using Windows 7 RTM)

No issues here. 7 Pro x64 RTM with MSE x64.

Ahhhh, so MSE was causing the crash.... I just tried and it seems to be fixed. :)

It's using 44 MB of RAM for the background process and 2.5 MB for the front-end.

Hardly something to worry about.

More importantly, though, is that it uses more CPU than Avira (my current choice). I tried the beta and CPU usage was over three times that of Avira.

More importantly, though, is that it uses more CPU than Avira (my current choice). I tried the beta and CPU usage was over three times that of Avira.

Yes, it is quite the CPU Hog . MsMpEng sure does hog a lot of CPU. Its a shame. A real shame. I don't think this AV could run on older machines. At lease not the same machines that could run stuff like avast or avira.

Add the the fact the mem usage is about 85 megs on my windows 7 machine and 62 megs on my Windows XP SP3 server box. I've seen MSE use as much as 117 megs during updates. I wouldn't exactly call that lite. Yes I know Ram is cheap. But we shouldn't be in this mind set of " just throw more ram at it". If people would stop thinking like that we would have a lot slimmer apps.

To be fair i'm running an i7 920 with 6 gigs of ram and feel absolutely no performance effect, but I have felt some sluggishness on older machines. Mostly from the CPU usage.

Edited by warwagon

Yes. Windows XP, Vista and 7

Not XP x64.

They'll only get me off of it either when 7 has proper WDM drivers for my ancient Radeon 7500, or I find some PCI card that has 64-bit WDM drivers.

Until then, I'm only using 7 on my secondary machines.

Yes, it is quite the CPU Hog . MsMpEng sure does hog a lot of CPU. Its a shame. A real shame. I don't think this AV could run on older machines. At lease not the same machines that could run stuff like avast or avira.

Add the the fact the mem usage is about 85 megs on my windows 7 machine and 62 megs on my Windows XP SP3 server box. I've seen MSE use as much as 117 megs during updates. I wouldn't exactly call that lite. Yes I know Ram is cheap. But we shouldn't be in this mind set of " just throw more ram at it". If people would stop thinking like that we would have a lot slimmer apps.

To be fair i'm running an i7 920 with 6 gigs of ram and feel absolutely no performance effect, but I have felt some sluggishness on older machines. Mostly from the CPU usage.

If resources are such a problem, why use a Anti Virus? Try some thing like SandboxIE maybe?