So, legally I'm going to have to buy ~30 copies of 7...

I have one copy of Win7 Pro from my MSDNAA, but to get the other comptuers I have updated and all I'm going to have to buy ~ 30 copies of it no? Is there a cheaper, legal way to get this many copies or what? Is a technet subscription viable or no? Some of them are for testing and all, but just don't wanna do anything illegal. Even though I come from Linux mainly, but yea. What do you all suggest I do?

~10 computers in my room alone, which 5 are active daily. The other 5 are servers, test machines.

Each brother has a laptop, so another 2.

One family computer downstairs.

~4 computers I plan to setup once I get them fixed within the next couple months in my room, there's another 4.

Then there's Office for each of them. I could use OpenOffice, which I may on my computers, but for the family and all they need something they know well. Their computer stupid.

Then there's VMs. I do need valid licenses for each VM right or no?

So, is there any way to keep myself from killing over from all the money going into this :(. I do upgrade computers of mine a lot. I'm actually due for an upgrade again, and it's only been about 4 months. I build em, refuse to buy pre-builts except laptops. Oh, and I'm 21 btw and thinking of returning to college again so I can take advantage of MSDNAA :(.

You're a 21 year old student and have 10 computers in your room, and are going to add another 4?

WTF? You running a torrent tracker or something?

I'm sure there's probably a way to be able to do this cheaper than buying 30 keys, but something on that sort of scale would no doubt be applied to as a business, not a random student in their house with 30 PCs.

You dont HAVE to upgrade every computer to Windows 7, they wont instantly stop working. If they work fine dont upgrade then.

Exactly.

I guess people just feel compelled to upgrade for no reason at all.

Microsoft does have deals for small businesses going all the way down to 10 machines, but whether your home qualifies is a different matter. And yes, you do need a license for each VM. Technically speaking you could get away with a TechNet subscription if you ignore the legalities.

I think you need to take a step back and consider whether you really need to upgrade them all to 7.

One thing that I feel should be mentioned...you cannot (legally) use a Technet subscription to install Windows 7 on working machines. Technet licenses are for evaluation purposes only. They are designed for businesses/schools to be able to get hold of fully working software to see if they can deploy it within their IT environment by testing the hardware/software combinations they have.

Although there is nothing to stop you from using them as full production computers, if you were a business/school and got audited then you would be in serious trouble.

A technet subscription will give you 10 licenses for each edition (isn't it the same with MSDN???) so that should be more than enough for you....

Technet subs are for eval purposes only.

Technet subs are for eval purposes only.

Yea but it's better than pirating them :p And the small fee (less than one copy of Win7) would cover all his computers with 100% valid licenses (mind you he wouldn't be using them as he agreed though)

why would you need 30 copies for testing?

Larger companies might be testing different hardware combination before buying a certain one, but this guy just has too many computers ;)

edit: oh and another advantage to Technet is that you'll get Windows 2008 with it for your "servers"

Your best bet is to start a small business and get BizSpark. You will get it all for free for 3 years then pay $100. The BizSpark licenses are not only for testing purposes, but allow them for business use. Just make sure their usage is part of your business plan.

I would guess that since you have so many machines in your home you are trying to do some kind of business with them any way.

Good Luck.

Downsize and virtualize.

You can take the money you save on your energy bill and use that to buy 10 Windows 7 HP family pack licenses.

Im nearly certain this thread is either a joke from a one post wonder or its from a Pirate

I'd definitely go the route of one powerful computer and thin client some of the others - won't it save you more in the long run w/regards to buying other software??

I'd definitely go the route of one powerful computer and thin client some of the others - won't it save you more in the long run w/regards to buying other software??

Not really, because as long as we're talking about Windows you still need licenses for the clients