Wireless USB Adapter That Works With 7

ah,crap :(

My sentiments exactly. I got excited because the installer went further than it had before and I didn't get a Code 10 error, and then boom, blue screen.

The hunt continues.

I'm using a WUSB54GSC. I don't think there are any vista x64 drivers for it, and it's not 5 years old.

iTunes 9 and windows 7 x 64 are out...

Was never able to get my WUSB54GSC v.1 or v.2 adapters to work with 64 bit in Vista or Win7.

However, after struggling through successive failures of betas and RC to hold connection with v.2 adapter, I switched it out with another Win7 p.c. in the house with a v.1 adapter and both have worked fine ever since.

Linksys doesn't seem to get that Win7 isn't going to wait around for them to do things at their own speed. They need to adapt the pro-active position of a Logitech which is promising Win7 cam drivers by release date, or be left behind.

Was never able to get my WUSB54GSC v.1 or v.2 adapters to work with 64 bit in Vista or Win7.

However, after struggling through successive failures of betas and RC to hold connection with v.2 adapter, I switched it out with another Win7 p.c. in the house with a v.1 adapter and both have worked fine ever since.

Linksys doesn't seem to get that Win7 isn't going to wait around for them to do things at their own speed. They need to adapt the pro-active position of a Logitech which is promising Win7 cam drivers by release date, or be left behind.

So the version 1 adapter just happened to work fine on a different installation?

That is so odd.

So the version 1 adapter just happened to work fine on a different installation?

That is so odd.

Yeah I thought so too. One is a VPR Matrix (Best Buy premium housebrand) which has been on 24/7 for ten years and had kept it's connection with the older v.1 adapter. The other one is a newer eMachine which couldn't hold its connection with a newer v.2 after 4800 - until the RC when I switched them around and both have run fine ever since.

If anybody talks with Linksys, ask them if they have heard if there are Win7 drivers in the works. When I last spoke with them in spring, tech support was trying to get their attention.

Yeah I thought so too. One was a VPR Matrix (Best Buy premium housebrand) which has been on 24/7 for ten years and had kept it's connection with the older v.1 adapter. The other one was a newer eMachine which couldn't hold its connection with a newer v.2 after 4800 - until the RC when I switched them around and both have run fine ever since.

If anybody talks with Linksys, ask them if they have heard if there are Win7 drivers in the works. When I last spoke with them in spring, tech support was trying to get their attention.

I did speak with Linksys. It sounded like she was saying they were in development, but could offer no set date. She said the WUSB600N (i think that was the adapter) was Windows 7 verified, but then a moment later she changed her mind saying it no longer stated that.

I really don't understand why they have no official drivers. It is inexcusable. A big reason why I simply don't want their product.

I did speak with Linksys. It sounded like she was saying they were in development, but could offer no set date. She said the WUSB600N (i think that was the adapter) was Windows 7 verified, but then a moment later she changed her mind saying it no longer stated that.

I really don't understand why they have no official drivers. It is inexcusable. A big reason why I simply don't want their product.

I hope Linksys sees this. I stuck with them for ten years which is about how long their trusty BEFW router lasted for us, but then having a WRT100 draft-N replacement router needing replacement twice, once while trying to fix the win7 issue by upgrading firmware - thank God I had tech support on the phone when it fried or they said they wouldn't have replaced it, and the replacement still has old firmware! Plus it won't stay online with any security, or Firewall on. I'm sure the neighbors love it though.

I am also done with Linksys. Who would stick with them any longer after all this?

Good luck finding that elusive driver. There are other leads via Google but they got me nowhere. Suggest you find another machine for yours. My experience is that these problems are also machine-specific.

I hope Linksys sees this. I stuck with them for ten years which is about how long their trusty BEFW router lasted for us, but then having a WRT100 draft-N replacement router needing replacement twice, once while trying to fix the win7 issue by upgrading firmware - thank God I had tech support on the phone when it fried or they said they wouldn't have replaced it, and the replacement still has old firmware! Plus it won't stay online with any security, or Firewall on. I'm sure the neighbors love it though.

I am also done with Linksys. Who would stick with them any longer after all this?

Good luck finding that elusive driver. There are other leads via Google but they got me nowhere. Suggest you find another machine for yours. My experience is that these problems are also machine-specific.

Yeah, I don't care about finding a driver for it anymore. I just want to find an adapter that I know will work with Windows 7. I'll retire this one and if someday a driver pops up and I have a machine that needs it, I'll use it. I might sell it on ebay for 1 dollars just to spite Linksys.

I might just wait out moving to 7 a little bit longer until there is something more certain out there. I'm going to avoid Linksys adapters like I now want to avoid Creative audio products.

Would love to find a 20-30 dollar USB stick adapter that does the job.

Yeah, I don't care about finding a driver for it anymore. I just want to find an adapter that I know will work with Windows 7. I'll retire this one and if someday a driver pops up and I have a machine that needs it, I'll use it. I might sell it on ebay for 1 dollars just to spite Linksys.

I might just wait out moving to 7 a little bit longer until there is something more certain out there. I'm going to avoid Linksys adapters like I now want to avoid Creative audio products.

Would love to find a 20-30 dollar USB stick adapter that does the job.

I have three Linksys USB adapters all running just fine with Windows 7. I guess I have been lucky as I have never had a problem with Creative Audio cards ether.

Anything that uses a Ralink chipset, they have AMAZING driver support for all operating systems. I have one these I got through work here and I have the PCI equivalent in my media center. The funny thing is it cost me around $30 AUS for the PCI one ($40ish for the USB) and it ran a million times better then a very high priced linksys one I used for testing. Haven't had one issue with them at all.

Drivers here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

Note: 7 is officially not in stores yet. Maybe thats why they do not support it yet.

On another hand, I find it EXTREMELY strange that the Vista drivers do not work. They should work.

I have a Netgear Wireless-N Dual Band (WNDA3100) adapter and it works great.

Did you need special drivers for it, or did Windows 7 recognize it as soon as it was plugged in?

It came with a driver disc (32-bit and 64-bit drivers both; I'm using Windows 7 x64), then as soon as I established a net connection Windows Update had updated drivers available.

I do recommend installing the drivers manually as opposed to running the setup on the disc, but I can't say that because I had a negative experience; I almost always install only the drivers for nearly every piece of hardware because the apps they like to bundle in tend to be crap and I don't like having them installed. The only hardware I do install the software for is my webcam, and I absolutely hate it, but it seems to be the only way I can adjust the focus and color/brightness.

Edited by Darrian

Anything that uses a Ralink chipset, they have AMAZING driver support for all operating systems.

+1

I've got the MSI US54EX USB WLAN stick with Ralink's RT2573 chip. No issues whatsoever on XP, Vista, SRV08, SRV08 R2 and 7.

It came with a driver disc (32-bit and 64-bit drivers both; I'm using Windows 7 x64), then as soon as I established a net connection Windows Update had updated drivers available.

I do recommend installing the drivers manually as opposed to running the setup on the disc, but I can't say that because I had a negative experience; I almost always install only the drivers for nearly every piece of hardware because the apps they like to bundle in tend to be crap and I don't like having them installed. The only hardware I do install the software for is my webcam, and I absolutely hate it, but it seems to be the only way I can adjust the focus and color/brightness.

+1

I do that.

Whenever drivers are updated, I put all the updated .inf files etc into their respective folders so when I reinstall Windows, I just point it at the same directory for all my hardware and Windows installs everything for me.

Netgear WPN111 works with Windows 7 (Beta, RC, and RTM). As a matter of fact I am currently using Netgear WPN 111 on Windows 7 RTM 64bit to type this message. I used the Netgear Driver Version 2.0 on the CD that came with the adapter and then updated it from Windows Update to the latest available version.

Note: 7 is officially not in stores yet. Maybe thats why they do not support it yet.

On another hand, I find it EXTREMELY strange that the Vista drivers do not work. They should work.

So you think that magically when it appears on the stores shelf everything going to be supported. If its not supported under RTM then its not supported when it hits the stores :p

So you think that magically when it appears on the stores shelf everything going to be supported. If its not supported under RTM then its not supported when it hits the stores :p

It gives them a longer deadline to work with their driver development.. If it aint in the shops you cant expect them to support it officially until it is.

My mate was successfully using a DLink 802.11n USB adaptor before it died (he said it started dropping out - that was all)

I gave him my old WG111T (v2) adaptor to try, haven't heard back yet.

And no Creative issues at all except for the known "no audio after standby on 64bit bug" - which i've worked around successfully.

Apart from that, 100% rock solid Windows 7 experience here!