• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue vertical line down monitor-help plz

thE_qubE    0

Hey guys, i've had the Acer AL2216W for about 2 years now, works perfectly, no glitches its VGA connected to my laptop and another one DVI connected to my laptop so i have dual screens. The VGA one is the secondary one (the one with the problem now).

So last night i went to bed, no problem, this morning, turn it on, no problem. Go downstairs have breakfast and ta-da, a blue line (kind of like the photoshop guides you get) down the left hand side of it. Its from top to bottom, doesnt invert colours and the mouse goes over the line but it remains above all windows for some reason.

now i know this isnt good news, but are there any things i can do to try to fix it?

i have tried it on another laptop and same problem. i am trying the DVI port on it now as i post this

thanks for any ideas in advance :)

******UPDATE******

10-02-10

My second screen how has a blue line, on the RIGHT side, with exactly the same distance from the frame as the 1st one with the line on the left..WTF?? Any ideas??

thE_qubE    0

Tried the DVI. Lin still there :(

S550    85

Sounds like like its stuck, try leaving it off for a day or 2, i had that fix an LCD of mine.

thE_qubE    0

wierd thing, when i put the DVI on, it was blue then when i wasnt looking it had dissapeared and when i got up to get closer, after about 5-10 secs it was back :/

it sort of ever so faintly dissapears when i for example open photoshop or a new white explorer window

p.s: i updated my drivers about 1 week ago..

NVIDIA 7600Go

thE_qubE    0

Im thinking of rolling back the NVIDIA driver, would that solve anything?

redvamp128    321

Some monitors have it and some don't -- tried the degauss? also some have color cues-- example 6500 band and 9600 .. You may try setting it to be a bit more red for a while (the 6500 band) also you could try as the person said leave it off for a few days-- but I would also get a can of Air and after it has been off for a few hours -- then blow out any open points on the monitor.

Just a few suggestions-- Though if you think it is a driver issue-- an easier solution than uninstall and reinstall drivers to test use a linux live cd and boot it up don't install to see if the problem still occurs with the default video driver for linux.

That would be a test to see if it a windows issue/ driver issue / or monitor issue.

Sophism    8
Some monitors have it and some don't -- tried the degauss? also some have color cues-- example 6500 band and 9600 .. You may try setting it to be a bit more red for a while (the 6500 band) also you could try as the person said leave it off for a few days-- but I would also get a can of Air and after it has been off for a few hours -- then blow out any open points on the monitor.

Just a few suggestions-- Though if you think it is a driver issue-- an easier solution than uninstall and reinstall drivers to test use a linux live cd and boot it up don't install to see if the problem still occurs with the default video driver for linux.

That would be a test to see if it a windows issue/ driver issue / or monitor issue.

LCD monitors dont need/dont have the Degauss function.

WatchTheSoup    0
Hey guys, i've had the Acer AL2216W for about 2 years now, works perfectly, no glitches its VGA connected to my laptop and another one DVI connected to my laptop so i have dual screens. The VGA one is the secondary one (the one with the problem now).

So last night i went to bed, no problem, this morning, turn it on, no problem. Go downstairs have breakfast and ta-da, a blue line (kind of like the photoshop guides you get) down the left hand side of it. Its from top to bottom, doesnt invert colours and the mouse goes over the line but it remains above all windows for some reason.

now i know this isnt good news, but are there any things i can do to try to fix it?

i have tried it on another laptop and same problem. i am trying the DVI port on it now as i post this

thanks for any ideas in advance :)

Sounds to me the LCD is defective...

I would sell it as scrap on eBay and use it to invest in an even better monitor (if they exist?)

thE_qubE    0

well the odd thing is that this morning, again, after i booted up, it showed, then a couple of hours later, it was fine :)

then about 20 minutes later its there again for the rest of the day :(

im going to try the can of air thing :/ although im afraid it might be dying...

thanks for the ideas. appreceate any other ideas too :)

+Thayios    217

It's a line of dead pixels - if you bring up a FULL white screen or black screen the results will be different on each one (i.e. the dead pixels will show on the white one and not the black screen).

You can try running a dead pixel eliminator software but I never had any luck with it on any monitor. My Samsung had the same problem so I threw it away.

Max    50

The panel is dying. Most likely in a couple of weeks you will get another line appearing.

New monitor I'm afraid! (Unless its under its 3 year guarantee still, which most monitors have)

pat50    0

First of all thank god its not your laptop lcd

As one of the members have mentions take the warranty option and all else failing buy a new DVI. After all these manufacturers have sometimes QC problems and some products slip through.

I had a similar weird experience with My Toshiba P300 bought in April. I installed Win 7 x64 and virtually strait away the screen started to glitch red vertical red lines with a blue line through the white part of pages. i panicked and rang Toshiba, They said bring it in and they'd look at it, However I loaded the latest ATI drivers and took out the extra samsung HDD I had installed myself and the glitch has not come back.

P.S. Just for reference when this first happened I connected a external DVI and it didn't reproduce on the DVI.

+chconline    158

I would say your monitor is probably dying as well. Time for a new LCD or RMA. Normally I would say that it could be a pin contact problem, but since you've tried both interfaces, I'm sorry to say that it's probably your panel. :(

thE_qubE    0

gahhhhhhh this thing is driving me crazy, it comes and goes, turns from light blue to dark blue by itself, when i sort of tilt it towards me it goes away then comes back after a while. and now its blinking like a repeat image every once in a while :( :(

anyone dealt with acer RMA? any good?

thE_qubE    0

Resurrecting this thread. Read update on Original Post.

thE_qubE    0

no one?