'Al-Qaeda-link' Cern worker held

France has arrested a researcher at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern) for suspected links with al-Qaeda, officials have said.

The 32-year-old man of Algerian descent was one of two brothers detained in the south-east town of Vienne on Thursday.

Police believe they had been in contact over the internet with people linked to al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, and had been planning attacks in France.

Cern's particle collider is aiming to recreate conditions of the Big Bang.

The organisation told the Associated Press that the researcher, whom it did not identify, was working for an outside institute and had no contact with anything that could have been used for terrorism.

Computers, hard drives and USB storage devices were removed from the brothers' home after their arrest.

BBC

How is one dumb enough to discuss terrorism plans online but be employed as a nuclear researcher? They're probably arresting him because of his brother (if he actually did something wrong).

i always knew they were, i remember Carnivore in its Infancy.

its got to have a big brother since 911 thats in operation and filters even more then what Carnivore did

Does this mean the governments are spying on the internet more than we thought?

How is one dumb enough to discuss terrorism plans online but be employed as a nuclear researcher? They're probably arresting him because of his brother (if he actually did something wrong).

The fact that you are still surprised at human stupidity is amazing.

Does this mean the governments are spying on the internet more than we thought?

it depends. do you work for a company that deals with nuclear research. if you answerd yes to that question. are you also talking to known terrorist on a website related to that sort of stuff. if you answerd yes to that, then yes the goverment is spying on you

The fact that you are still surprised at human stupidity is amazing.

Yeah I guess even being a nuclear researcher doesn't get people a certificate of common sense nowadays. :laugh:

I'm glad the 'Net being monitored by Big Brother...hopefully, they'll be banging down those idiots' homes that purpose blowing up this and removing this society off the face of the Earth.

You'd only be worried if you were doing something wrong....Good! Monitor away!

EVERYONE, not just the typical rhetoric from Amijdihandawahbonehead.

Justice for all...TRUE democracy.