MSN Messenger emBedded in HTML

Question

I have seen what people are trying to acomplish like hotmail.com. You can do that via a webpart which requires SharePoint Portal server or Digital Dashboard/SQL Sever.

My question is this: Can I have a form setup so that someone can send me a web based IM to me when I am logged on. i.e. they fill out a web form with a comment and that comment gets sent to my client. I know how to do this via SharePoint or DigitalDashboard, but that requires that the web user be logged into MSN messenger, I want a user (who may not even have an MSN account to be able to send me a message), maybe via a "ghost" hotmail account I set up as my "fake logon" for my webpage that happens behind the scenes.

Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

I'll help you with this coz I have once used SharePoint server & haven't tried Digital Dashboard/SQL Server, but I have used SQL Server version 7...

Let me know what can I do for ya... ;)

Thanks for offering to help. The real question is: Can I do this without SharePoint. I didn't make it very clear in my first post, but I have already successfully set up the SharePoint version, but was trying to do it with out SharePoint because SharePoint requires that the sending person (even if it is via a web form) must be logged into MSN Messenger.

I think the way to go would be to access this via the Messenger API and to "hard code" in a dummy account you create in hotmail so that when the page loads the webpart (or embedded messenger feature) thinks it is logged in. I don't know if this will work or not, but I think the chances are pretty good that there is a work-around if the explict functionality is available.

Any ideas?

Maybe logged in MSN Messenger while messaging to someone is important or we have to try it any other way...

Would you be able to send me those files on which you have worked yet... I will see & try to do something with it...

Actually, I haven't even started. I have just been researching to if it is possible.

Is this possible? What language to you use? I would think ASP, but I know that SharePoint uses JavaScript to handle the MessengerWebPart.

Do you have any ideas about how to not require the sender to be logged in. Do you think the idea of hard coding account info into the code will allow us to pass some account info to logon to the messenger?

Also, will this be a logon and send message and log off? And when you leave the page or reload it re connects to the server?

Thanks for your help!

Yeah ur correct SharePoint uses Javascript but we can modify the JS could we... & we will then ask the permission from MS about using it Officially on the NET... & ASP is the best language ever I have used & its quite easy to work on...

I think getting logged on is soo important to send any message... 1 thing how could you be able to send any message to anyone... When you will be online then you could be able to simply select the person to whom you wish to send the message & just simply send the message... That would be easy to do...

But getting this to work without getting logged onto MSN, that would be a mess...

But I will try to get any ideas from my friends...

I don't know ASP very much, but what about this:

There is tons of source code about writing a VB app to create your own messenger client.

Can we take the VB and modify it to be ASP? If so, then we could just write it in ASP, but ...can we run this server-side so that it will look for the nessary DLLs on the server not the client.

I figure when we press sumbit, it will logon send IM, and log off. That way the connection is only open long enough to send a message so that this is kinda scalable. If mulltiple people were viewing your site at the same time.

I know ASP alot...

I will do the ASP work you do the VB work if you know VB... I don't know anything about VB...

& this really would be server-side content...

I can't say anything about ur last question... at the time... But as we start workin on it maybe we do that but in start we have to do in logged in with MSN...