HDTV Question.

So coming up I may have to buy an HDTV since my current TV is having some issues. I have been wanting a samsung HDTV, I have it picked out. I will NOT be getting HD TV through my cable company, they want too much money for it. So I know I can hook up my coax cable into the HDTV like I do for my current tv for cable.

My question is, will the TV shows that are broadcast in HD be in HD? and not only take up a little bit of the screen like other channels might?

Like some shows on Fox, NBC, Discovery, FX they air shows that are in HD already.

I know I've been to one place, and they dont have HD programing, and some shows fill the entire screen, while others do not. So I am just curious.

Even if it is HD it depends. Generally, HD programming will take up the entire screen, but some channels (in HD) prefer to keep it in 4:3. Also for HD you must have a cable box or satellite or something that provides HD service to you.

On most HDTVs you have a picture zoom function which can be set to a setting "Fill" which will fill the screen no matter what. Although this will stretch out any pictures that aren't fit right for your TV screen's ratio.

And remember it must be on the HD version of the channel, not the SD.

Also for HD you must have a cable box or satellite or something that provides HD service to you.

I read your reply, but this part got my interest the most. Even if I don't want their HD Service, I don't need the box, correct?

If your cable company broadcasts QAM, and the TV has a QAM tuner (likely it does), then you should get HD on the TV without using an HD box from the cable company.

I plug the coax cable straight into my TV, no box at all, and I get about 10 HD channels plus most of the regular channels. Some dont come in for some reason, I dont know why. QAM channels are a little different though and not all cable companies broadcast them out, so I'd check with them and make sure.

For what its worth, I'm with Time Warner in southern California.

If your cable company broadcasts QAM, and the TV has a QAM tuner (likely it does), then you should get HD on the TV without using an HD box from the cable company.

I plug the coax cable straight into my TV, no box at all, and I get about 10 HD channels plus most of the regular channels. Some dont come in for some reason, I dont know why. QAM channels are a little different though and not all cable companies broadcast them out, so I'd check with them and make sure.

For what its worth, I'm with Time Warner in southern California.

Like some dont come in HD? or some channels are snow?

I'd be kind of mad if I buy it and find out not all my channels work, hd or not lol

You may or may not need a (HD) digital box. Some companies in the states deliver HD in the clear - without encryption. A TV with ATSC tuner should be able to tune it, but it really depends on your location, and provider.

If a show on a particular channel is in HD (sports, local news, Simpsons/24/etc) and your cable company does NOT deliver that HD channel in the clear, the analog equivalent of that channel will only show you the original 16:9 signal in a 4:3 frame; meaning you will get bars on the sides, and top and bottom. Unless of course that station gets the regular 4:3 signal to pump out, then you may get that (with only bars on the sides). In both cases, you'll have to use the view functionality of the TV set to stretch/zoom the image to fill.

They dont come in at all.

Maybe my TVs channel search sucks, but I cant seem to find them. The thing about it is that QAM uses different channels than what you'd get on a cable box itself. A cable box will use channel numbers, 1, 2, 3, etc but QAM will use what I've been told are frequencies, such as 64.125, 67.251, etc. Those are the actual channel numbers, so its not quite the same. I'd dial in the missing channels but I cant find a published list of the corresponding QAM frequencies VS the regular cable channel numbers to match them up.

I would call the cable company and see if they broadcast QAM and if so, if its all channels. And try to get a list of the frequencies. I called mine but they didnt have a clue what QAM was. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

If they do broadcast QAM, then you have no need for a set top cable box, and you would get HD. If they dont, then you'll probably need a box from them.

You may or may not need a (HD) digital box. Some companies in the states deliver HD in the clear - without encryption. A TV with ATSC tuner should be able to tune it, but it really depends on your location, and provider.

If a show on a particular channel is in HD (sports, local news, Simpsons/24/etc) and your cable company does NOT deliver that HD channel in the clear, the analog equivalent of that channel will only show you the original 16:9 signal in a 4:3 frame; meaning you will get bars on the sides, and top and bottom. Unless of course that station gets the regular 4:3 signal to pump out, then you may get that (with only bars on the sides). In both cases, you'll have to use the view functionality of the TV set to stretch/zoom the image to fill.

Oh ok cool.

I know my cable company says "if you have an HDTV you need our box otherwise nothing will work".

I have Blue Ridge cable blah.

There are also some freely broadcasted (yes through the air) HD channels. Here it would be like Channel 7 is SD, 7.1 is HD, and then 7.2 is HD of another service from that same channel. Build a fractal antenna out of copper wire, hook it up to your TV and get channels from all over :D

There are also some freely broadcasted (yes through the air) HD channels. Here it would be like Channel 7 is SD, 7.1 is HD, and then 7.2 is HD of another service from that same channel. Build a fractal antenna out of copper wire, hook it up to your TV and get channels from all over :D

I think this is how the one place I was at has their HDTV hooked up. They have those kind of channels but here for example they have channel 8, channel 8.1 and channel 8.2. Then they have basic cable. There is nothing special you have to do though to go channel to channel, like 8.1 then 8.2 then on to the next cable channel number, you know what I mean? I am not sure how to explain it. You can be on channel 8.2 then go to like example CNN without doing anything other then flipping through.

you will only get local channels in HD if you dont have HD service through your cable company on Rare occiasions you can get an HD channel from premium networks to show up but i say Rare as in hardly. also HD over most cable providers is not that great anyways , i would sujest if you can go with Dishnetwork and ther HD service it is cheaper then most and well ya get great DVR service if you get an DVR receiver

you will only get local channels in HD if you dont have HD service through your cable company on Rare occiasions you can get an HD channel from premium networks to show up but i say Rare as in hardly. also HD over most cable providers is not that great anyways , i would sujest if you can go with Dishnetwork and ther HD service it is cheaper then most and well ya get great DVR service if you get an DVR receiver

A dish isn't really an option. We had them a few years ago and didn't like them.

well i can tell ya they improved since then tho they always was the better options . but question is are you sure it was Dishnetwork ya had and not Direct TV cause DTV has poor quality equipment and service well for us anyways as we sent back 7 DVR units because they stopped working right and so we said F- them and went dishnetwork and have had nothing but the best service and quality from them. i would try Dishnetwork again if it was who ya had before

as others have mentioned... it will come down to how your cable company operates. Alot of companies these says are scrambling/encrypting their signals so you cannot get them without a box. Your TV has a tuner built in and may be able to pick up certain channels (including HD) but the channels will not make any sense, they will be all over the place. I tried this once with Service Electric cable and I couldnt find the same channel twice without writing it down. So when deciding on a TV, be sure to read the reviews of how SD channels look as this will make or break your experience with the TV while watching cable TV.