• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Goodbye Windows!

Scorbing    517

Just kidding...

I went to the Apple store and got one of these

They are awesome!!!!!!

I still have my PC with Windows 7, which I tend to use for gaming and other things but the Mac is strictly for Photoshop and Video. All business.

Macs are expensive but the quality of this machines is amazing.

zagor    28

don't forget to backup your data! Stay away from the guest account!

and of course enjoy it...

Rudy    457

I'm hoping to get one as soon as the new ones are out

Steeley    9

Awesome! You're gonna love it to bits!

Petvas    36

You will come back. Don't worry about it. Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore...When using computers it is all about the software...and Windows wins hands down

ccoltmanm    146
You will come back. Don't worry about it. Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore...When using computers it is all about the software...and Windows wins hands down

Well said.

Sam Symons    0

Can't say I agree with you there; I got my first Mac (a MacBook) back in January, after using Windows for years before hand (I was even one of those people who didn't like Apple products 'just because', and had never actually used one), and now, if anything, I'm planning on getting another.

As for the software, I dunno? the stuff I find on Macs has far trumped that which I found on Windows, for what I use (like Coda by www.panic.com for web development), though in some aspects, it's definitely much worse (if I were still a gamer, I'd be in trouble). Plus, being a developer, having Xcode available is certainly a blessing.

Though, I do still very much love Microsoft products, I own and use an Xbox daily, plus I'm a Microsoft Student Partner and have two PC:):) I don't see the point in having to choose sides when it comes to operating systems, personally.

+devHead    2,128

I find it somewhat disturbing on that page that to go from 4 GB to 8 GB of RAM requires ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Does someone there still think this is 1995? That'll bring you up to 3,200 bucks for that puppy!

Steeley    9
I find it somewhat disturbing on that page that to go from 4 GB to 8 GB of RAM requires ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Does someone there still think this is 1995? That'll bring you up to 3,200 bucks for that puppy!

It's to get a few extra bucks out of people who don't know any better. The RAM slot in iMacs is easily accessible and in fact the manual tells you how to upgrade it. You're best to go with the default amount of RAM then buy a pair of notebook ram modules and install them yourself. Save you literally hundreds.

Petvas    36

You can always get the RAM from another store and install it after, even if it is a bit harder with the new laptops

omganinja    26
don't forget to backup your data!

You should definitely get a Time Capsule to back up your data.

sammy2    8

Summary

Purchase Information

$4,820.85

WOW ... if I add somethings, not even wireless mouse.

WOW.

Thats extremely high for anyone to pay for a simple computer.

Isn't it obvious to everyone by now ? omg ...

PL_    19
WOW ... if I add somethings, not even wireless mouse.

WOW.

Thats extremely high for anyone to pay for a simple computer.

Isn't it obvious to everyone by now ? omg ...

Well, no. At $4000 it's not a "simple computer". Admittedly some parts are overpriced, but to some people who need extra power $4000 is reasonable. And a wireless mouse is only $20 :/

omganinja    26
Well, no. At $4000 it's not a "simple computer". Admittedly some parts are overpriced, but to some people who need extra power $4000 is reasonable. And a wireless mouse is only $20 :/

You could build an i7 machine that kills that for half the price.

sammy2    8

It is just a simple computer with only 8gb of RAM, poor video card, and a few softwares. it's close to $5000 than $4000.

Apple is getting so fat off people who willing pay out thousands to be apart of a unique clique. What Apple is doing is one of the worst business models ethically, and it's not one for the future.

PL_    19
You could build an i7 machine that kills that for half the price.

You have to compare like-for-like. I'd like to see an all-in-one that's better for half the price. If you want to compare towers then spec out a Mac Pro.

It is just a simple computer with only 8gb of RAM, poor video card, and a few softwares. it's close to $5000 than $4000.

Apple is getting so fat off people who willing pay out thousands to be apart of a unique clique. What Apple is doing is one of the worst business models ethically, and it's not one for the future.

Alright, you get gouged on the memory, but you can buy and install your own memory. People don't solely buy Macs to become part of a clique, they also buy it for OS X, high quality build, high quality help and support, ease of use, design and innovative features. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Apple's business model being unethical: you get what you pay for and it's not a bad deal.

It's not that I'm trying to spark a flamewar here, just that there's quite a common misconception that Macs are hideously overpriced when all things considered they're not.

FloatingFatMan    20,950

I know it's already been said, but...

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB [Add $1,000.00]

HOLY CRAP!! A thousand bucks for an extra 4 gigs!?

Scorbing    517
I know it's already been said, but...

Relax people...Relax!!! - I am NOT going to pay an extra $1,000 for 4 more gigs of RAM - LOL - I know better than that you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am simply going to NewEgg and get it there and install it myself!!!!

As for those whinnying about people getting tired of Apple after a few months of using it, the same thing happens with Windows, otherwise why would people be always trying to change things around on it? - (icons, themes, the way the Windows open and close)

And I will tell you one more interesting fact that if you are all honest, you will agree on:

If Windows is so much better than Mac and if people get tired of Mac and if Mac is so bad like you Windows fan boys claim it to be, why are you always trying to make Windows look and behave like Mac OSX by changing its theme, icons, mouse, Windows behavior and adding a dock bar that behaves 100% like the Mac OSX?

Someone on this forum told me once: "If you want a Mac, then get one and stop trying to make Windows look like one!"

And one last thing....I haven't given up my PC. I still have it, sitting right next to the iMac. The iMac is ONLY for photo and video editing - nothing more. Why? Because every video editor I have seen for Windows simply sucks. They either crash, freeze or don't do anything right. I am sick of it. My Windows Photoshop froze on me quite a few times and it turns out its a bug on the Windows version only that Adobe has never fixed, not even on CS4.

As for the video editors, they simply suck. Pinnacle Studio - horrible, buggy software. The rest....Crap.

thealexweb    204

Bloody hell I'd forgotten just how expensive Macs are, an extra $1000 for 8GB of ram WTF. How much would it be for a PC, $300 maybe? This something that Apple just can't justify.

Scorbing    517
Bloody hell I'd forgotten just how expensive Macs are, an extra $1000 for 8GB of ram WTF. How much would it be for a PC, $300 maybe? This something that Apple just can't justify.

Again....You can always get it at NewEgg.

Dudes, the same thing happens with PCs you buy from Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway, etc, etc.....

If you buy extra memory from those PC manufacturers, they are going to charge an arm and a leg for it. Apple is no different.

Just be smart and get it at NewEgg or somewhere else.

FloatingFatMan    20,950
Relax people...Relax!!! - I am NOT going to pay an extra $1,000 for 4 more gigs of RAM - LOL - I know better than that you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am simply going to NewEgg and get it there and install it myself!!!!

Didn't think you were! Just commenting on the obscene markup they have on that RAM!

As for those whinnying about people getting tired of Apple after a few months of using it, the same thing happens with Windows, otherwise why would people be always trying to change things around on it? - (icons, themes, the way the Windows open and close)

And I will tell you one more interesting fact that if you are all honest, you will agree on:

If Windows is so much better than Mac and if people get tired of Mac and if Mac is so bad like you Windows fan boys claim it to be, why are you always trying to make Windows look and behave like Mac OSX by changing its theme, icons, mouse, Windows behavior and adding a dock bar that behaves 100% like the Mac OSX?

Someone on this forum told me once: "If you want a Mac, then get one and stop trying to make Windows look like one!"

Never have, and never will, theme my PC to look like a Mac.

And one last thing....I haven't given up my PC. I still have it, sitting right next to the iMac. The iMac is ONLY for photo and video editing - nothing more. Why? Because every video editor I have seen for Windows simply sucks. They either crash, freeze or don't do anything right. I am sick of it. My Windows Photoshop froze on me quite a few times and it turns out its a bug on the Windows version only that Adobe has never fixed, not even on CS4.

As for the video editors, they simply suck. Pinnacle Studio - horrible, buggy software. The rest....Crap.

I love Windows, sure; but I'm no fanboy. I'm well aware that the Mac does some thing really very very well, and if you want to go Mac, I say enjoy yourself!

I just wish Apple would quit being such total ripoff merchants... They'd get a MUCH bigger slice of the pie if they kept their system prices to a more reasonable level.

speedstr3789    32
why are you always trying to make Windows look and behave like Mac OSX by changing its theme, icons, mouse, Windows behavior and adding a dock bar that behaves 100% like the Mac OSX?

The same could be said in reverse...

Top 10 features Apple stole from Ms

Miuku.    364

Isn't really any different than when I buy HP servers for example, their additional memory units cost several times to that of the store equivalent even though they're the same chip, the only different is the HP sticker on top of it. So I just take a trip to the store and get the same amount of memory, same warranty and same performance as with the branded gear - I can even return the device for repairs without any complaints.

(Same goes for Apple too, the local Apple repair shop even moves any additional gear to the replacement laptop/desktop without any hiccups). I guess the support is regionally better here since I've heard horror stories about Dell / HP /Apple in the 'States that I've never ever heard about in here.

Scorbing    517
Didn't think you were! Just commenting on the obscene markup they have on that RAM!

Never have, and never will, theme my PC to look like a Mac.

I love Windows, sure; but I'm no fanboy. I'm well aware that the Mac does some thing really very very well, and if you want to go Mac, I say enjoy yourself!

I just wish Apple would quit being such total ripoff merchants... They'd get a MUCH bigger slice of the pie if they kept their system prices to a more reasonable level.

Oh I totally agree with you. The have a big monopoly with their machines. That's why they don't want anyone to clone them because then it would force them to lower prices down. Their prices are ridiculous, but then again, you get what you pay for: A machine that does what it's supposed to do without giving the user too much hassle and security BS issues.

I too wish Apple would lower their prices down to something more Human someday

Isn't really any different than when I buy HP servers for example, their additional memory units cost several times to that of the store equivalent even though they're the same chip, the only different is the HP sticker on top of it. So I just take a trip to the store and get the same amount of memory, same warranty and same performance as with the branded gear - I can even return the device for repairs without any complaints.

(Same goes for Apple too, the local Apple repair shop even moves any additional gear to the replacement laptop/desktop without any hiccups). I guess the support is regionally better here since I've heard horror stories about Dell / HP /Apple in the 'States that I've never ever heard about in here.

I got the AppleCare 3 year warranty so I have 4 years of Warranty on it. Anything happens to it (except physical damage or water) and they will fix it or replace it.

Not bad for an extra $160.00. I may never use it (I hope not), but it's the same principle as a condom: better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Laura    147

Moved here.

As usual it comes down to personal preferences. If we all had identical tastes and needs the world would be very boring. Windows may win for you, but for other people who want different things out of their computer, that is not necessarily the case at all.