Goodbye Windows!

I actually only use a MacBook Pro for my computing needs nowadays, after several years with Windows. Windows Vista was just too much, and although Windows 7 is much better off, I can't say I look at it with envy now that I've got used to OS X and started to make assumptions on laptops. "What, no multitouch pad integrated in all apps I use, what kind of crap is this?" "What, no FireWire 800 on the laptop, what kind of slow USB 2.0 transfer DO you use?" Haha. It's these things that keep accumulating and then even a Windows 7 Ultimate install from some random house party won't help.

I'm a bit surprised that it went this smoothly. I had expected the Windows itch to come after a few months, but I can't really see a major need for it, beyond gaming, for my uses. And gaming plays less and less of a role in my life as RL stuff tend to come after my hobbies with photography, blogging, online news browsing, etc.

I work with Windows at work, but even that is no problem when I work distance with my Mac. Microsoft develop a native Remote Desktop client for the Mac, I can use Adium for MSN, and Skype works perfectly for me to work myself into our team conferences with my black sheep and its integrated microphone. :)

Edited by Jugalator

I actually only use a MacBook Pro for my computing needs nowadays, after several years with Windows. Windows Vista was just too much, and although Windows 7 is much better off, I can't say I look at it with envy now that I've got used to OS X and started to make assumptions on laptops. "What, no multitouch pad integrated in all apps I use, what kind of crap is this?" "What, no FireWire 800 on the laptop, what kind of slow USB 2.0 transfer DO you use?" Haha. It's these things that keep accumulating and then even a Windows 7 Ultimate install from some random house party won't help.

I'm a bit surprised that it went this smoothly. I had expected the Windows itch to come after a few months, but I can't really see a major need for it, beyond gaming, for my uses. And gaming plays less and less of a role in my life as RL stuff tend to come after my hobbies with photography, blogging, online news browsing, etc.

Nothing beats a Mac when it comes to photo and video editing. They are the best for that.

Isn't there supposed to be a refresh to the iMac around the corner? Might be worth bearing in mind, as i have heard some people trading in for a newer model after a couple of days.

You'll enjoy using a mac, i started on a powerbook in 2005 and currently use a iMac. Brilliant computer does everything i need smoothly and efficently.

Would recommend either purchasing a time capsule or probably more cost effective and the route i picked was to simply purchase a cheap USB external HDD.

I moved away from PC gaming and onto the Xbox / PS3, i found that the PC charts were the same, Sims, Warcraft, flight sim at the bottom and a fifa / tigerwoods at the top. Ive found more variety in the games i like to play on the 360.

Oh I totally agree with you. The have a big monopoly with their machines. That's why they don't want anyone to clone them because then it would force them to lower prices down. Their prices are ridiculous, but then again, you get what you pay for: A machine that does what it's supposed to do without giving the user too much hassle and security BS issues.

I too wish Apple would lower their prices down to something more Human someday

I got the AppleCare 3 year warranty so I have 4 years of Warranty on it. Anything happens to it (except physical damage or water) and they will fix it or replace it.

Not bad for an extra $160.00. I may never use it (I hope not), but it's the same principle as a condom: better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

fyi, AppleCare makes your warranty 3 years, it doesn't give you an extra 3 years

If you want to compare towers then spec out a Mac Pro.

I take the challenge.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

And indeed:

2 x Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5520 - Retail - $769.98

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Tylersburg SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 Series w/ Remote Management Server Motherboard - Retail - $409.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail - $129.99 (faster than the 1066MHz Mac Pro memory)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM - $94.99

ASUS EN9500GT MAGIC/DI/512MD2/V2 GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $56.99 (same as GT120 - more info here)

Thermaltake Spedo VI90001N2Z Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - $169.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail - $119.99

Logitech MK700 Black USB 2.4 GHz Wireless Desktop - Retail - $94.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $134.99

Total $1,981.90 against Apple's $3,299.00 for a better machine. :laugh:

Prices are from Newegg.

fyi, AppleCare makes your warranty 3 years, it doesn't give you an extra 3 years

Well 3 years is better than 1, right?

despite the fact that I agree with people that it's too expensive the additional 1k for 4Gb isn't as simple as you paint it. this machine apparently only has two banks and therefore only 2x4Gb of memory will work. A stick of 2Gb memory is dirt cheap, however 4Gb is still expensive. If you pick some of the better Corsair at Newegg, you can easily add another 500 to 800 dollar for a kit. Still cheaper, but not as cheap as buying 4x2Gb.

A guy was fueling up his huge ass SUV at a gas pump, another guy came to him and said 'It sure must be expensive to fuel up something that huge' to which the owner said 'It sure must feel like that when you're a penniless hippie'.

Money is relative. To me a few thousand is insignificant when looking at the whole picture.

I take the challenge.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

And indeed:

2 x Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602E5520 - Retail - $769.98

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Tylersburg SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 Series w/ Remote Management Server Motherboard - Retail - $409.99

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail - $129.99 (faster than the 1066MHz Mac Pro memory)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM - $94.99

ASUS EN9500GT MAGIC/DI/512MD2/V2 GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $56.99 (same as GT120 - more info here)

Thermaltake Spedo VI90001N2Z Black 0.8 mm SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - $169.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail - $119.99

Logitech MK700 Black USB 2.4 GHz Wireless Desktop - Retail - $94.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $134.99

Prices are from Newegg.

And time spent putting it together, installing drivers, and searching for (and buying) software comparable to a lot of what's bundled with OS X or the quality software you can find for OS X.

despite the fact that I agree with people that it's too expensive the additional 1k for 4Gb isn't as simple as you paint it. this machine apparently only has two banks and therefore only 2x4Gb of memory will work. A stick of 2Gb memory is dirt cheap, however 4Gb is still expensive. If you pick some of the better Corsair at Newegg, you can easily add another 500 to 800 dollar for a kit. Still cheaper, but not as cheap as buying 4x2Gb.

They're also SO-DIMM, which is far more expensive than standard DIMM right now. I was looking to upgrade my MBP to 8GB, and it's a whopping $475.99 from OWC. Not as bad as Apple's $1000, but it's still not cheap.

A guy was fueling up his huge ass SUV at a gas pump, another guy came to him and said 'It sure must be expensive to fuel up something that huge' to which the owner said 'It sure must feel like that when you're a penniless hippie'.

Money is relative. To me a few thousand is insignificant when looking at the whole picture.

Exactly. In the time I spend making sure my Windows machine is set up the way I want it to be (without Unix underpinnings, I'm pretty lost, especially when it comes to Ruby on Rails development), I could make all the money that I spent on my MacBook Pro back.

I agree. Money is insignificant when you want quality and reliability. It's like buying a car. If you gave me a choice between a Ford Focus Special Edition Turbo at $15,000 and a Toyota Corolla Standard Edition at $17,000, I would go for the Toyota anytime, even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Ford. Why? Because it's a proven, reliable machine.

If Windows is so much better than Mac and if people get tired of Mac and if Mac is so bad like you Windows fan boys claim it to be, why are you always trying to make Windows look and behave like Mac OSX by changing its theme, icons, mouse, Windows behavior and adding a dock bar that behaves 100% like the Mac OSX?

Oh here we go again...they are not the same....

And time spent putting it together, installing drivers, and searching for (and buying) software comparable to a lot of what's bundled with OS X or the quality software you can find for OS X.

So you mean like the 10mins it takes to get drivers (windows 7 setup pretty much detects and installs the drivers for the majority of hardware out there), another 10mins to install MS office, like 5mins to install windows live essentials. And you already have what macs come with (if you get the ilife package too). In like max 1-2 hours you'll have your computer completely set up and running.

You can get quality software for windwos too you know...

The day daphoenix has to pay back his student loans, or actually earn that few thousand...money will become very relative. And windows computers have pretty high uptimes too, ever since Vista I rarely ever have to restart my computer. I leave it on sleep when I'm not using it, and there's no slowdown at all. This isn't XP anymore.

The day daphoenix has to pay back his student loans, or actually earn that few thousand...money will become very relative.

Never had any student loans and I already paid off my house. Nice try, though.

Not all of us are teenagers here Razor, some of us are hitting those 'higher' numbers.

Never had any student loans and I already paid off my house. Nice try, though.

Not all of us are teenagers here Razor, some of us are hitting those 'higher' numbers.

Hm, I never knew people from the ages of 13-19 already had to pay back student loans.

But regardless, it was just an assumption as the majority of people in the forum are from the ages of 20-30 (aka non-teenagers)

But regardless, it was just an assumption as the majority of people in the forum are from the ages of 20-30..

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.. we'd sing and dance, forever and again..

My point however was that when dealing with businesses and organizations, it's more beneficial to use a few hundred or a few thousand more if it guarantees better quality and less downtime in the long run. I've always gotten that by always spending a little extra on my hardware, let it be your Windows based PC servers, Linux based PC servers or Mac based desktops. The CEO's may complain that you're using too much money but when you show them the results of the investments, they don't complain again.

and that would equate to: apple is for rich, ms for poor.

from one penniless hippie

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.. we'd sing and dance, forever and again..

...in the summer of 69

Lol sorry just had to, I know its a completely different song but yeh

My point however was that when dealing with businesses and organizations, it's more beneficial to use a few hundred or a few thousand more if it guarantees better quality and less downtime in the long run. I've always gotten that by always spending a little extra on my hardware, let it be your Windows based PC servers, Linux based PC servers or Mac based desktops. The CEO's may complain that you're using too much money but when you show them the results of the investments, they don't complain again.

You do make a good point there, but it's not like the quality of windows based hardware sucks. Sure you sometimes get a bad device from Newegg, but overall if you choose the good brands from there, you're getting a solid product. And save a good amount of money while you're at it.

Then again if you go for whats cheapest on that site, chances are it's not going to be that solid either.

Edited by /- Razorfold

from one penniless hippie

Well it was a bad analogy but I thought it'd be fun ;-)

I would love to get one of those just cause it looks great but how could you ever spend so much on it! If you have the money and want one then you should def get one but I just cant get over the price. I built one on the website there to see how much and I didnt put any photo or video software etc on it and it was over $3000.

That is not true. I am not rich. I don't even make $40,000 a year, BUT, I want something reliable, stable, that will do the job without me having to worry about constant security issues, viruses, crashes...Not that Mac are perfect, because they are not, but they do work better than a PC in a lot of scenarios, again, especially in Photo and Video editing.

On the same token, nothing beats a Windows PC when it comes to gaming.