Goodbye Windows!

DerAusgewanderte
Fixed.

:p

guess you figured this out from my avatar

That is not true. I am not rich. I don't even make $40,000 a year, BUT, I want something reliable, stable, that will do the job without me having to worry about constant security issues, viruses, crashes...Not that Mac are perfect, because they are not, but they do work better than a PC in a lot of scenarios, again, especially in Photo and Video editing.

On the same token, nothing beats a Windows PC when it comes to gaming.

let's talk about exceptions that proof the rule ;). btw. while we are at it. what makes photo and video editing on apple systems better than on PC's? I for one do not get that argument. Software like Adobe is available for both and considered professional Photo and Video editing software. As for rendering we have a similar situation with software packages like Maya etc. The hardware is the same, the packaging is different, I agree with this statement. But that does not mean a more stylish, solid and robust system is better at Photo and Video editing, does it?

Edited by DerAusgewanderte
zeke009
I just wish Apple would quit being such total ripoff merchants... They'd get a MUCH bigger slice of the pie if they kept their system prices to a more reasonable level.

But there goes the elitism and mystique of a Mac if that happens, market share grows and then they become attack targets like Windows. If they keep their business as is, their mystique remains and they continue to turn a profit. To be honest, I think this model allows them to focus on their product quite a bit more than Windows which has grown so large over time. (no facts there, just my opinion)

Amazingly, Apple has made this model work for them for a long time. If it works, why should they stop?

In case I need state it: I don't own a MAC.

Edited by zeke009
Elliott
Fixed.

Yes, of course. :rolleyes:

My job practically requires me to use some sort of OS with *nix underpinnings. I've tried doing Ruby on Rails development on Windows, and it just sucks, especially when you're deploying to Linux servers (which I am 100% of the time).

However, after switching because I wanted to get into Ruby on Rails, I can safely say nothing will bring me back to Windows unless all Mac developers jump ship and develop quality software for Windows.

let's talk about exceptions that proof the rule ;). btw. while we are at it. what makes photo and video editing on apple systems better than on PC's? I for one do not get that argument. Software like Adobe is available for both and considered professional Photo and Video editing software. As for rendering we have a similar situation with software packages like Maya etc. The hardware is the same, the packaging is different, I agree with this statement. But that does not mean it's better at Photo and Video editing, does it?

Comes down to the software you like more. I know I like Final Cut Studio more than Adobe Premier and Adobe After Effects, but that's just me.

Pupik
Fixed.

Exactly. Only stupid will pay an extra two thousands for a brand name, when the hardware is a joke.

I mean, GT 130? Seriously?

DerAusgewanderte
Exactly. Only stupid will pay an extra two thousands for a brand name, when the hardware is a joke.

why would you want to insult people here that purchased Mac's ? the fact that you think this is a joke does not make them stupid. I think you should reconsider your thoughts, otherwise I am really worried about you.

Pupik
why would you want to insult people here that purchased Mac's ? the fact that you think this is a joke does not make them stupid. I think you should reconsider your thoughts, otherwise I am really worried about you.

Oh, did I offend you with the Apple's hardware specification? Well, I'm sorry.

Next time, I'll just say stupid **** in a commercial. You know, "Get a Mac' ads style.

Elliott

Yep, brand name. That's it. It doesn't have anything to do with build quality and excellent software. We're all just retarded over here in the Apple forums.

And holy crap, you can get a Radeon 4850 for $50 more. Breaking the bank there.

Toon_Army_Fan
:p

guess you figured this out from my avatar

let's talk about exceptions that proof the rule ;). btw. while we are at it. what makes photo and video editing on apple systems better than on PC's? I for one do not get that argument. Software like Adobe is available for both and considered professional Photo and Video editing software. As for rendering we have a similar situation with software packages like Maya etc. The hardware is the same, the packaging is different, I agree with this statement. But that does not mean a more stylish, solid and robust system is better at Photo and Video editing, does it?

Do you think that the fact that the machine that they are using is so good looking that it makes you feel like the software is better? Im only suggesting this as I have only used a Mac machine about 3 times in my life so I have no idea if the software is better or worse.

Ricardo Gil

I only use Windows because of Visual Studio. Everything else is done on OS X.

I wouldn't trade my laptop for anything else, it's sturdy, light and has great battery life. And after using that huge multitouch pad, everything else just seems limited.

Next time, I'll just say stupid **** in a commercial. You know, "Get a Mac' ads style.

If you want to be rude, go do it somewhere else. Let's keep it clean here.

Neoauld
I find it somewhat disturbing on that page that to go from 4 GB to 8 GB of RAM requires ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Does someone there still think this is 1995? That'll bring you up to 3,200 bucks for that puppy!

because EVERYTHING from apple is a ripoff

poor quality hardware, and pay 2x as much for it, if not more

i really dont see the point of buying those pieces of crap, they dont do anythin special that i cant do on Win/Lin

they just look prettier by DEFAULT, ive got a desktop setup that makes mac users drop their jaws

Ricardo Gil
i really dont see the point of buying those pieces of crap, they dont do anythin special that i cant do on Win/Lin

they just look prettier by DEFAULT, ive got a desktop setup that makes mac users drop their jaws

Cool story bro.

Laura

Lets keep this discussion on track please, or I will have to close the thread.

As has already been stated people have good reasons as to why they purchase Macs over other computers. If you don't agree with those reasons and wouldn't like to spend more that's fine but there's no need to insult those that do.

bjoswald

I went to our local Best Buy recently and got to fool around with a new iMac. Talk about a gorgeous machine! Everything, from the desktop to the hardware, was just eye-popping. But would I dish out $2000 for one? Not a snowball's chance in Hell. I'm envious of Mac users but I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a PC unless it was for a career or something. I'm just a casual user. Congratulations to the OP, though! :)

zagor
You should definitely get a Time Capsule to back up your data.

better get two time capsules. use the extra to backup the time capsule itself!

veritas310

I don't think I'd call Apple's hardware poor by any stretch of the imagination, they just charge a bit more for it. I have a MBP from last year and it's great, rarely have any issues with it. But, if I didn't work in IT and have a few clients that run full Mac environments, I probably wouldn't have purchased (at least not now). I enjoy working in both OS's, as each has it's own strengths. As for the poster that discussed how long it takes to get the software installed on a custom Windows PC, it takes no time at all, especially with Windows 7. I had Windows 7 Ult 64-bit installed and all my apps/files moved over in less time than any previous OS I've used.

Damian
poor quality hardware

Have you ever seen those plastic crap of notebooks out there?

And i dont see the point of buying that piece of crap called Windows.

ive got a desktop setup that makes mac users drop their jaws

dropping my jaw at how ugly it looks probably.

Leo Natan
And i dont see the point of buying that piece of crap called Windows.

You don't have to. OSx86 runs faster on faster hardware. (Y)

Elliott
I don't think I'd call Apple's hardware poor by any stretch of the imagination, they just charge a bit more for it. I have a MBP from last year and it's great, rarely have any issues with it. But, if I didn't work in IT and have a few clients that run full Mac environments, I probably wouldn't have purchased (at least not now). I enjoy working in both OS's, as each has it's own strengths. As for the poster that discussed how long it takes to get the software installed on a custom Windows PC, it takes no time at all, especially with Windows 7. I had Windows 7 Ult 64-bit installed and all my apps/files moved over in less time than any previous OS I've used.

When all you're doing is simple apps (Firefox, iTunes, etc.), it's not so bad, but there's just a lot more stuff bundled in OS X that helps me do my job. Ruby comes preinstalled, Rubygems comes preinstalled, Rails comes preinstalled, a lot of the development libraries I use come preinstalled, and for anything I didn't have installed, MacPorts makes that happen in no time.

OS X is very developer-friendly, and I know that when I get a new Mac, even if I don't migrate my Time Machine backup, I can still install TextMate and Creative Suite and get right to work.

Elliott
Don't forget to register your time capsule when it dies in 17 months!

http://timecapsuledead.org/

Yea, that sucks. :pinch: Apple will probably be pressured into acknowledging and fixing the problem for the early adopters. I just wish they would make the power supply external. Yea, more bulk on the outside, but also keeps it cooler on the inside.

However, hardware under high load will eventually fail. It just happens. I've seen server hard drives drop left and right. At least it's not the hard drive dying in these things.

Ricardo Gil
Yea, that sucks. :pinch: Apple will probably be pressured into acknowledging and fixing the problem for the early adopters.

:huh: Because of a tiny failure rate? We're talking maybe 1-2% here

I honestly don't understand the sensationalism over this.

Scorbing

For the guys that says "poor quality hardware":

So what about PC laptops? What do you think that is? - 100% pure crap made in China. Look at the new Dell Inspiron laptops. Poor plastic material. The keyboard feels like a toy. Don't insult Apple because PC manufacturers are doing the same, exact thing when it comes to quality materials. They all want to save money and NONE of them is going to give you a laptop with a titanium case around it, not even Apple, so get real and be fair.

Apple hardware is just as good as PC hardware, the difference is Apple has total control of what goes inside that machine, Microsoft does not. I don't blame Windows for everything. PC manufacturers have a lot of fault as well, but this is where Apple exceeds Microsoft. Again, they have total control of what goes inside their machine and total control of the software and drivers. Yes, you do pay more, but you get quality and service and you don't have to pay a ridiculous $399.99 for a new OS, only $49.99!!!!!!

Elliott
:huh: Because of a tiny failure rate? We're talking maybe 1-2% here

I honestly don't understand the sensationalism over this.

I agree to an extent, but technically if the person has a Mac still covered under AppleCare, the Time Capsule should be covered as well. Otherwise, there's nothing Apple can do.

Damian
For the guys that says "poor quality hardware":

So what about PC laptops? What do you think that is? - 100% pure crap made in China. Look at the new Dell Inspiron laptops. Poor plastic material. The keyboard feels like a toy. Don't insult Apple because PC manufacturers are doing the same, exact thing when it comes to quality materials. They all want to save money and NONE of them is going to give you a laptop with a titanium case around it, not even Apple, so get real and be fair.

Apple hardware is just as good as PC hardware, the difference is Apple has total control of what goes inside that machine, Microsoft does not. I don't blame Windows for everything. PC manufacturers have a lot of fault as well, but this is where Apple exceeds Microsoft. Again, they have total control of what goes inside their machine and total control of the software and drivers. Yes, you do pay more, but you get quality and service and you don't have to pay a ridiculous $399.99 for a new OS, only $49.99!!!!!!

Remember the Titanium PowerBooks? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:15-inch-...m-powerbook.jpg

btw, Congrats on your new Mac Scorbing.

neufuse

until Apple makes a home user tower system, I'm not buying one... I don't want the "pro" over priced line for what I'd use it for, and I don't want what I consider an ugly as heck all in one system which besides the mini and laptop is the only other system they market to the average user....