• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Goodbye Windows!

Mr. Gibs    3,865
For the guys that says "poor quality hardware":

So what about PC laptops? What do you think that is? - 100% pure crap made in China. Look at the new Dell Inspiron laptops. Poor plastic material. The keyboard feels like a toy. Don't insult Apple because PC manufacturers are doing the same, exact thing when it comes to quality materials. They all want to save money and NONE of them is going to give you a laptop with a titanium case around it, not even Apple, so get real and be fair.

Apple hardware is just as good as PC hardware, the difference is Apple has total control of what goes inside that machine, Microsoft does not. I don't blame Windows for everything. PC manufacturers have a lot of fault as well, but this is where Apple exceeds Microsoft. Again, they have total control of what goes inside their machine and total control of the software and drivers. Yes, you do pay more, but you get quality and service and you don't have to pay a ridiculous $399.99 for a new OS, only $49.99!!!!!!

I have a dell vostro laptop which has as you put it "poor plastic material." And mine works perfectly and looks somewhat new, even after the rough handling i subject it to. And I use this laptop excessively.

There is absolutely no need for the majority of users for a titanum cased laptop.

Electric Jolt    12
Just kidding...

I went to the Apple store and got one of these

They are awesome!!!!!!

I still have my PC with Windows 7, which I tend to use for gaming and other things but the Mac is strictly for Photoshop and Video. All business.

Macs are expensive but the quality of this machines is amazing.

You mean the seamless experience and visual appearance is amazing. Quality of hardware is terrible (time capsules are a ****ty backup solution). But remember, those news Macs come with a seamless experience for Bootcamp. I would put Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on your Mac. So much better IMO. I have a 24" iMac running Windows 7 x64, can't stand the boring Snow Leopard OS. I like Mac OS X, but many of apps broke on Snow Leopard...

Plus I have used the seamless experience all last year for my iPod Touch, but this year I'm ready to experience the new seamless experience with Windows 7 (homegroup, media sharing over internet, better RDP, etc.) and also I have a Zune HD this year.

Elliott    235
There is absolutely no need for the majority of users for a titanum cased laptop.

Titanium, no, but at least aluminum. You wouldn't believe the cracks and missing chunks of plastic I saw while I was a tech at my old high school. We had crappy Dell Latitude laptops and those plastic cases didn't hold up very well to being tossed around in a backpack. The iBooks we had a few years before that survived quite well because they had those thick polycarbonate shells (something that the new MacBook Pro can match in durability thanks to the unibody design).

Mr. Gibs    3,865
Titanium, no, but at least aluminum. You wouldn't believe the cracks and missing chunks of plastic I saw while I was a tech at my old high school. We had crappy Dell Inspiron laptops and those plastic cases didn't hold up very well to being tossed around in a backpack. The iBooks we had a few years before that survived quite well because they had those thick polycarbonate shells (something that the new MacBook Pro can match in durability thanks to the unibody design).

I dunno about how old yours were, but i had an inspiron 9300 before my vostro, and both my laptops go/have been with me to class everyday. Never had any plastic chipped off. Yeh my inspiron took a bit more damage, but my vostro has like almost nothing on it and its almost 2 years old now. Just the silver wearing of media keys and one or two barely noticable scratches.

So I guess Dell massively improved their build quality, because right now its amazingly good.

Btw, doesn't the aluminum dent easily?

.Neo    1,834
You could build an i7 machine that kills that for half the price.

And fit it in the same slim casing? Good luck with that.

Ricardo Gil    0
Quality of hardware is terrible (time capsules are a ****ty backup solution).

:huh: So what's that under your avatar about quality?

Elliott    235
I dunno about how old yours were, but i had an inspiron 9300 before my vostro, and both my laptops go/have been with me to class everyday. Never had any plastic chipped off. Yeh my inspiron took a bit more damage, but my vostro has like almost nothing on it and its almost 2 years old now. Just the silver wearing of media keys and one or two barely noticable scratches.

So I guess Dell massively improved their build quality, because right now its amazingly good.

Btw, doesn't the aluminum dent easily?

Mine personally didn't take damage because I had a laptop pocket in my bag, but others weren't so lucky (having a laptop jumbled among books and then tossed on the ground is a recipe for disaster).

No, the aluminum is actually extremely sturdy (fairly thick and anodized which creates a layer of extremely strong "rust"). If you tried hard enough, you could make a dent, but it doesn't really affect how the laptop operates. In the case of the plastic laptops, people would tend to break the air vent covers (they were very brittle) and end up lodging plastic in the fan (which was stupidly placed on the bottom of the laptop).

Scorbing    517
You mean the seamless experience and visual appearance is amazing. Quality of hardware is terrible (time capsules are a ****ty backup solution). But remember, those news Macs come with a seamless experience for Bootcamp. I would put Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on your Mac. So much better IMO. I have a 24" iMac running Windows 7 x64, can't stand the boring Snow Leopard OS. I like Mac OS X, but many of apps broke on Snow Leopard...

Plus I have used the seamless experience all last year for my iPod Touch, but this year I'm ready to experience the new seamless experience with Windows 7 (homegroup, media sharing over internet, better RDP, etc.) and also I have a Zune HD this year.

Every customer I have that has a Mac is super happy with it. Do I need to say more?

lamminium    79

I admit I want to convert to Linux full time but as of now, it can only be a hobby. Windows still rules.

I'm eagerly waiting for Kubuntu 9.10. lol

Scorbing    517

Who says you have to spend $1,000 on memory?

Take a Look

Rudy    457

Why I use OSX on my PC:

- UNIX backend

- Better GCC environment (I've tried GCC on Windows and didn't like it)

- iPhone / iPod Touch development (although I *could* do this in Windows using a VMWare copy of OSX)

- I like the OS better (Windows XP was nice, Vista killed it for me, I installed 7 on another HD and it's better than Vista but I'm not a fan)

Why I want to get an iMac:

- Looks better (no wires, no mess. My computer is in the living room/dinning room so people see it all the time when they come over, no matter how good I do my cable management it looks horrible with my current PC. So right now I have this eye sore in a room with over $10,000 of *nice* furniture....maybe I should spend some extra money to make everything look nice...)

- Does everything I need in a smaller form factor (I don't play games on my computer, I have a 360 and a Wii for that)

Here's why I'm not sure about getting an iMac:

- Not really faster than my 2 year old pc (see sig)

- Already run OSX on my pc

- Could get a something similar look if I put the tower in the closet and make a hole for the wires (and make it look nice) so that just the monitor and keyboard/mouse are in the room. But that involves making a hole in the wall and adding a plate like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

KoL    36

Congrats Scorbing :)

Crucial RAM is great. I have always used Crucial on all my Macs and never had a problem.

You don't need to say goodbye to Windows. My main OS is OS X but I still have Windows intalled using bootcamp.

Rudy    457
Who says you have to spend $1,000 on memory?

Take a Look

Careful, the ram in your link is DDR2 while your computer has DDR3

ObiWanToby    35
Congrats Scorbing :)

Crucial RAM is great. I have always used Crucial on all my Macs and never had a problem.

You don't need to say goodbye to Windows. My main OS is OS X but I still have Windows intalled using bootcamp.

I have questions about bootcamp. Specifically does the hold two fingers click work to emulate "right click" very well? It is a small thing, but I would hate to carry an external mouse all the time.

I do a lot of "science" on my current laptop, which is on its way out. I am looking into getting an MacBook Pro, but am quite worried about how that experiment will turn out.

Will video out work fine with bootcamp for instance. Will the reduction of resolution to 1440x900 (from 1680x1050 of my current crappy Dell laptop) hurt me? None of my colleagues have a Macintosh, so I really have no one to ask.

I have a suspicion things would work wonderfully. It is hard to make that justification right now. Quirks are annoying, I would like to do without them. I would adopt OSX 100% if I could. Looks like programs such as HyperChem are available for the Mac. Not sure if there are many differences between the Windows and Mac versions or not.

Perhaps there are other fellow scientists and engineers who use a Mac as their workstations?

I have always contemplated purchasing a Macbook Pro, but never was truly in the market for a new laptop. Things have changed, I now am. The HP Envy looks sorta promising. It has a great resolution, metal design....but I just do not know.

Edited by Intelman

ultimate99    55
Why I use OSX on my PC:

- UNIX backend

- Better GCC environment (I've tried GCC on Windows and didn't like it)

- iPhone / iPod Touch development (although I *could* do this in Windows using a VMWare copy of OSX)

- I like the OS better (Windows XP was nice, Vista killed it for me, I installed 7 on another HD and it's better than Vista but I'm not a fan)

Why I want to get an iMac:

- Looks better (no wires, no mess. My computer is in the living room/dinning room so people see it all the time when they come over, no matter how good I do my cable management it looks horrible with my current PC. So right now I have this eye sore in a room with over $10,000 of *nice* furniture....maybe I should spend some extra money to make everything look nice...)

- Does everything I need in a smaller form factor (I don't play games on my computer, I have a 360 and a Wii for that)

Here's why I'm not sure about getting an iMac:

- Not really faster than my 2 year old pc (see sig)

- Already run OSX on my pc

- Could get a something similar look if I put the tower in the closet and make a hole for the wires (and make it look nice) so that just the monitor and keyboard/mouse are in the room. But that involves making a hole in the wall and adding a plate like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

Have you considered a Mac Mini, os x native and not as expensive as the iMac? It's simple and nice little box, which could look could in the living room.

KoL    36
I have questions about bootcamp. Specifically does the hold two fingers click work to emulate "right click" very well? It is a small thing, but I would hate to carry an external mouse all the time.

I do a lot of "science" on my current laptop, which is on its way out. I am looking into getting an MacBook Pro, but am quite worried about how that experiment will turn out.

Will video out work fine with bootcamp for instance. Will the reduction of resolution to 1440x900 (from 1680x1050 of my current crappy Dell laptop) hurt me? None of my colleagues have a Macintosh, so I really have no one to ask.

I have a suspicion things would work wonderfully. It is hard to make that justification right now. Quirks are annoying, I would like to do without them. I would adopt OSX 100% if I could. Looks like programs such as HyperChem are available for the Mac. Not sure if there are many differences between the Windows and Mac versions or not.

Perhaps there are other fellow scientists and engineers who use a Mac as their workstations?

I have Bootcamp on my Mac Pro. Never tried it on my MacBook Pro or the MacBook I had.

thealexweb    204
For the guys that says "poor quality hardware":

So what about PC laptops? What do you think that is? - 100% pure crap made in China. Look at the new Dell Inspiron laptops. Poor plastic material. The keyboard feels like a toy. Don't insult Apple because PC manufacturers are doing the same, exact thing when it comes to quality materials. They all want to save money and NONE of them is going to give you a laptop with a titanium case around it, not even Apple, so get real and be fair.

Apple hardware is just as good as PC hardware, the difference is Apple has total control of what goes inside that machine, Microsoft does not. I don't blame Windows for everything. PC manufacturers have a lot of fault as well, but this is where Apple exceeds Microsoft. Again, they have total control of what goes inside their machine and total control of the software and drivers. Yes, you do pay more, but you get quality and service and you don't have to pay a ridiculous $399.99 for a new OS, only $49.99!!!!!!

I have a Dell Inspiron and I'm very happy with it, no your claim to 100% pure crap is just nonense, you've clearly never had one. Also I didn't have to fork out ?1000 to get one like you would a Mac.

LUTZIFER    473
You will come back. Don't worry about it. Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore...When using computers it is all about the software...and Windows wins hands down

Exactly.

I've tried Macs too, and probably like others, I think, Wow, this is so cool, but then realize, without being able to run what I'm used to, or anything for that matter, the Macs are absolutely useless.

I know people think that theyre so stable, etc. etc. which is in no way true at all.

You get what you pay for, whether it's a PC or Mac.

If you spend what a Mac costs, on a PC, you're gonna get an awsome PC.

The only Mac that has impressed me, is the Mac Air, now that is a nice looking computer, but I would only get it if I could run Windows 7 on it, lol.

As for the regular Mac laptops, so are so ugly, I'm amazed people even act like they have something impressive.

Kralik    3
Summary

Purchase Information

$4,820.85

WOW ... if I add somethings, not even wireless mouse.

WOW.

Thats extremely high for anyone to pay for a simple computer.

Isn't it obvious to everyone by now ? omg ...

Well thats Apple for you.. they squeeze every single penny (or cent) they can off you.. hence adding 1-2 more features and releasing a "new" iPhone every year.. while they have the technology and means to release a "super" iPhone with everything.. they don't coz that way ppl will just buy it once.. releasing a newer version every year is more profitable..

ObiWanToby    35
I have a Dell Inspiron and I'm very happy with it, no your claim to 100% pure crap is just nonense, you've clearly never had one. Also I didn't have to fork out ?1000 to get one like you would a Mac.

I could claim my Inspiron has been complete crap. I suffered the 8800M series flaw. Macs suffered as well. My screen had dead spots on it. The plastic bezel that housed the LCD came apart. My palm rest cracked. Hinge fell apart. I suffered memory errors, which was due to a faulty motherboard. My charger has died on my twice. And now currently my palm rest is cracking again.

I carry my laptop in a padded sleeve, in addition to a padded Swiss laptop bag. Not sure if I am still somehow being too rough with it or it is indeed because of the poor quality. I know many have not suffered one bit. But I think it is important to take into account those that have. My feeling is that a unibody design would have corrected some of the issues I have had with the plastic coming apart and cracking. Chip failure can happen on any make.

Rudy    457
Have you considered a Mac Mini, os x native and not as expensive as the iMac? It's simple and nice little box, which could look could in the living room.

The current desk I use has no where to hide anything, I think the iMac might be worth the extra money. But to be honest a mac mini was my first mac :p great little computer

thealexweb    204
I could claim my Inspiron has been complete crap. I suffered the 8800M series flaw. Macs suffered as well. My screen had dead spots on it. The plastic bezel that housed the LCD came apart. My palm rest cracked. Hinge fell apart. I suffered memory errors, which was due to a faulty motherboard. My charger has died on my twice. And now currently my palm rest is cracking again.

I carry my laptop in a padded sleeve, in addition to a padded Swiss laptop bag. Not sure if I am still somehow being too rough with it or it is indeed because of the poor quality. I know many have not suffered one bit. But I think it is important to take into account those that have. My feeling is that a unibody design would have corrected some of the issues I have had with the plastic coming apart and cracking. Chip failure can happen on any make.

When I read that I couldn't help but laugh, your prone to problems it seems, which Inspiron do you have? I have the 1721, its the most reliable piece of tech I've ever had, with the exception of Dell the ******* switched off AMD's Virtualisation stuff in a bios update. Other than that its great.

ObiWanToby    35
When I read that I couldn't help but laugh, your prone to problems it seems, which Inspiron do you have? I have the 1721, its the most reliable piece of tech I've ever had, with the exception of Dell the ******* switched off AMD's Virtualisation stuff in a bios update. Other than that its great.

I have the Inspiron 1520. I got it because it was the only laptop with the Santa Rosa platform at the time (it actually has Intel Virtualization :D). It seems rather odd that I would have experience this much issue. It certainly has not made me very happy. Motherboard replacement twice (first due to the 8800M being bad ... then the ram issue). Physical casing leaves some to be desired.

My 3 year warranty just ran out, so I have to find these plastic panels on ebay!

I will have to say, that once my LCD was replaced, it has been one of the best LCDs I have ever seen. It is an LG panel at 1680x1050 on a 15.4 inch screen. Quite clear. Great for reading and work.

Scorbing    517

Listen people:

ALL computer manufacturers have flaws...Apple included...No one is perfect. Apple just tries to be as perfect as possible by having full control of everything, and even at that, they are imperfect.

Steve B.    467

Ahahahaha, I clicked the link to see what you bought and got the sticky note with the fact that the store is down. Should we expect updates?