Goodbye Windows!

ObiWanToby
Listen people:

ALL computer manufacturers have flaws...Apple included...No one is perfect. Apple just tries to be as perfect as possible by having full control of everything, and even at that, they are imperfect.

Well, yes, I think we all understand that. But somehow Apple has something unique. Their MacBook Pros have been pretty thin for a while. Plus they include a optical disc drive. The HP Envy 15, the only PC laptop that comes close to the power and size of a MacBook Pro comes without one....

I think their engineering has been ahead of the game as well. One of the first to really use Lithium Polymer batteries in a full sized notebook. Magnet attached charger. A unibody milled block of aluminium. Those things make sense. PC manufactures are catching up, but I think it is fair to say Apple is "special".

thealexweb
I have the Inspiron 1520. I got it because it was the only laptop with the Santa Rosa platform at the time (it actually has Intel Virtualization :D). It seems rather odd that I would have experience this much issue. It certainly has not made me very happy. Motherboard replacement twice (first due to the 8800M being bad ... then the ram issue). Physical casing leaves some to be desired.

My 3 year warranty just ran out, so I have to find these plastic panels on ebay!

I will have to say, that once my LCD was replaced, it has been one of the best LCDs I have ever seen. It is an LG panel at 1680x1050 on a 15.4 inch screen. Quite clear. Great for reading and work.

Grrr :angry: Ah well that'll teach me not to update my drivers.

Rudy
Ahahahaha, I clicked the link to see what you bought and got the sticky note with the fact that the store is down. Should we expect updates?

It would be nice but it's most likely just maintenance

Ricardo Gil
Exactly.

I've tried Macs too, and probably like others, I think, Wow, this is so cool, but then realize, without being able to run what I'm used to, or anything for that matter, the Macs are absolutely useless.

Do you actually believe what you write? Go troll somewhere else.

sammy2
Well thats Apple for you.. they squeeze every single penny (or cent) they can off you.. hence adding 1-2 more features and releasing a "new" iPhone every year.. while they have the technology and means to release a "super" iPhone with everything.. they don't coz that way ppl will just buy it once.. releasing a newer version every year is more profitable..
You mean like adding a simple Camera to the Itouch ? lol ... Picture messages on the Iphone ? lol..

It's a craze thing, in reality Apple doesn't make better products than windows, especially not to the degree the price difference suggest. Okay, I would spend that much for a computer if it was waterproof or something. lol.

I can't believe people talk about quality like the plan to use the same comuter for 50 years so plastic materials are regretfully. Come on.

Binary
The same could be said in reverse...

Top 10 features Apple stole from Ms

Oh please.

Most of those are evolution of the GUI which anyone would make use of. (And Apple has done better than the rest. i.e. Time Machine actually lets you peruse EVERY file, not just do a systemwide 'restore')

As for the terminal...

So Apple was supposed to build an OS off of unix and not include a shell?

Come on.

Scorbing
Oh please.

Most of those are evolution of the GUI which anyone would make use of. (And Apple has done better than the rest. i.e. Time Machine actually lets you peruse EVERY file, not just do a systemwide 'restore')

As for the terminal...

So Apple was supposed to build an OS off of unix and not include a shell?

Come on.

I absolutely love my iMac. That's all I gotta say. I still love my PC with Windows 7 as well. I have the best of both worlds.

Growled
The same could be said in reverse...

Top 10 features Apple stole from Ms

You know, both sides needs to giving that stealing crap a rest. When one company adds a feature, another company's customers want to use that feature too if it's a good one and to keep their customers happy they add it to their OS. It's called keeping up with the Joneses. It is not stealing.

TheTempestSonata
You will come back. Don't worry about it. Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore...When using computers it is all about the software...and Windows wins hands down

I disagree. Windows has a lot more b/s software compared to Mac. Every program I see for Mac has a use. 99% of the crap for Windows is pointless or it's malicious. Mac also gives you great freeware. Windows gives you.... Spider solitaire. Honestly though, the software that I frequently use is on both, BUT, I prefer the way Windows handles the software. I don't like the task bar thing at the top of Mac and I can't get used to selecting things in the Mac version of Photoshop. It's constantly minimizing itself because the way it's set up, and I'd just rather not deal with that. I do love the dock in Mac though...

Subject Delta
Well, no. At $4000 it's not a "simple computer". Admittedly some parts are overpriced, but to some people who need extra power $4000 is reasonable. And a wireless mouse is only $20 :/

Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram, 1TB hard disk, bog standard graphics card... Where's the extra power :/

Even when you apply the extra upgrades you only get 8GB of ram and an ATI 4850

My computer could smoke that mac (even the upgraded version) in terms of raw power, I even have built in liquid cooling, and there is nothing like $4000 worth of components and software in my build, in fact even the base $2100 install would cost more than my computer would to build. All this shows is how badly Apple rip people off

Elliott
I've tried Macs too, and probably like others, I think, Wow, this is so cool, but then realize, without being able to run what I'm used to, or anything for that matter, the Macs are absolutely useless.

I'm actually on the flipside of your argument. :p I can't use Windows on its own anymore because Windows doesn't run what I'm used to (and, surprisingly, doesn't have equivalents for some of the things I'm used to). I don't think Windows machines are "absolutely useless", but I won't be switching back anytime soon (not that I'd want to anyway).

As for the regular Mac laptops, so are so ugly, I'm amazed people even act like they have something impressive.

Man, I'd hate to hear what you think about most laptops from other manufacturers. You must vomit at the sight of them. :p

Subject Delta
Man, I'd hate to hear what you think about most laptops from other manufacturers. You must vomit at the sight of them. :p

Despite what people under the RDF cloud appear to think, Apple aren't the only company that can design nice laptops.

Elliott
Despite what people under the RDF cloud appear to think, Apple aren't the only company that can design nice laptops.

That's why I said most. Selective reading there buddy.

I think some HP laptops (namely the newest line that looks almost exactly like the MacBook Pro) and the Dell Adamo line look fairly nice, but the majority of laptops that other companies manufacture look like cheap plastic crap.

bob21

Generalizing Much Toshiba, HTC, Alienware, HDX ?

Tbhonest the dragon is the best looking laptop out there by far.

fix-this!
You will come back. Don't worry about it. Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore...When using computers it is all about the software...and Windows wins hands down

+1

Elliott
Generalizing Much Toshiba, HTC, Alienware, HDX ?

Tbhonest the dragon is the best looking laptop out there by far.

It's my opinion, and my opinion states that they pretty much all have very poor design. Most of them have a lot of flash/flare and no elegance. I mean, look at this: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/a...s=dhs&cs=19. What the hell is that?

And the Dragon you referenced almost doesn't even pass for a laptop in my book. That thing is a monster.

+1

Thank you for the constructive input. -1, BTW. I personally think Windows software is, for the most part, atrocious.

bob21

:wub:

Something we need more of lately tbhonest it was a tremendous boost to the "PC" brand name and something apple just couldn't even come close to.

Scorbing
Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore/quote]

And the same thing doesn't happen with Windows? - Yeah right.

If this is the case, then how come people are constantly changing the way Windows looks by applying themes, icons and none other than....Mac OSX themes!!!! - WOW...Even use Rocketdock to make it look like a Mac!!! - LOL

People do this because they get tired of the way Windows looks and don't see it as cool anymore.

If Windows users don't like Macs, how come they are constantly trying to make their PCs OS look and act like one? - LOL

betamike
Just kidding...

I went to the Apple store and got one of these

They are awesome!!!!!!

I still have my PC with Windows 7, which I tend to use for gaming and other things but the Mac is strictly for Photoshop and Video. All business.

Macs are expensive but the quality of this machines is amazing.

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB [Add $1,000.00]

Only apple charges One Thousand Dollars for 8 gigs ram OMFG what a Rippoff

rkenshin

Are you freaking serious? To add 4 more GB of RAM, its $1000!?!?!?!?!

Can this RAM make me dinner?

zagor
Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore

If this is the case, then how come people are constantly changing the way Windows looks by applying themes, icons and none other than....Mac OSX themes!!!! - WOW...Even use Rocketdock to make it look like a Mac!!! - LOL

People do this because they get tired of the way Windows looks and don't see it as cool anymore.

If Windows users don't like Macs, how come they are constantly trying to make their PCs OS look and act like one? - LOL

At least windows is much more customizable than OS X. If you get bored you can just change the theme. And the reason why people apply OS X themes is not that OS X has a better theme.

Believe me, you will get bored from OS X interface. And just to enjoy it, you will be hitting the corners to activate expose after a while.

I have, I don't know how many, computers, several of them are MACs. Unless you do something interesting using your computer, you will get bored.

bob21
Apple computers haver a great design and have a cool factor, but when the first months have passed, you won't see them like that anymore

Thats flawed logic just because themes exist doesn't mean everyone uses it , By that logic were all trying to make windows look like linux because there are linux themes too.

You simply cannot generalize 93% of the market.

Id love to know what changed with you , A week ago you were a perfectly respectable member and now your bashing windows users 247 .

Scorbing

We've been over this already. Once again:

Crucial Memory - 8gb - $200.00 - for Apple at Crucial's web site, so you don't have to pay the ridiculous $1,000 Apple is asking.

Elliott
:wub:

Something we need more of lately tbhonest it was a tremendous boost to the "PC" brand name and something apple just couldn't even come close to.

So you're saying Apple can't design a huge behemoth with an iMac like hinge and try and pass it off as a laptop? I think you're blurring the lines between can't and won't. Apple has a very simple design philosophy: "take a good idea, analyze the problems with it, and try and perfect it." A 20.1" laptop is "take a good idea and make it huge without paying any real attention to how it might be better designed."

You're right. Apple charges $1000. Alienware (Dell) charges $700. Both are ripoffs. Most other laptop manufacturers don't even offer DDR3 1066MHz in a laptop.

Are you freaking serious? To add 4 more GB of RAM, its $1000!?!?!?!?!

Can this RAM make me dinner?

It's not just adding 4GB of RAM. It's replacing 2 x 2GB DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM with 2 x 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM memory, not adding another 4GB stick into an extra bay.

Edited by Elliott
Scorbing

Thats flawed logic just because themes exist doesn't mean everyone uses it , By that logic were all trying to make windows look like linux because there are linux themes too.

You simply cannot generalize 93% of the market.

Id love to know what changed with you , A week ago you were a perfectly respectable member and now your bashing windows users 247 .

I don't think you have read my posts correctly...I haven't bashed anyone. I very clearly said that I still have my Windows 7 PC and I still love it. What I said was that Windows users SHOULD NOT bash Apple because Apple is not as bad as people make it to be and both Microsoft and Apple have their pros and cons. Neither one of them is perfect. If I thought Apple was perfect in every way, would I still have my PC with Windows?

I VERY CLEARLY said that all I want the Mac for is: Video and Photo editing. That's it. I use Windows for everything else. I also said that NOTHING will ever beat Windows when it comes to games and office work and other stuff. I said Macs are great for video and photo editing and nothing can beat them on that, so stop putting words on my mouth and accusing me of saying things I have not said or done. Thanks.