Goodbye Windows!

Just because you are incompetent at what you tried to do doesn't mean it's better on a Mac for everyone. :rolleyes:

And you really need some education and manners because you don't seem to have any. Just because I am having problems with video editing on Windows, doesn't mean I am incompetent. Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it could be something in my PC itself? On the hardware, that simply doesn't work with those particular programs I am trying to use?

I bought a Mac because I like them. I like the way they work and I like the way they do things. As simple as that. I still and always will have a PC with Windows. Why? Because I like it as well. Mac does things Windows can't do and Windows does things Mac cannot so I have both.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe it could be something in my PC itself? On the hardware, that simply doesn't work with those particular programs I am trying to use?

Haha, if the CPU is working, and there are no memory problems, the hardware is fine. But if you are blaming Windows for your hardware problems (if any, of course), you are even worse than I thought. If indeed hardware problems were the cause, same hardware errors can occur on an Apple machine as well - both use the same hardware. Seeing as how you still use the machine, hardware problems are probably not the cause.

And you say you aren't incompetent because you can't do something, but that's exactly what incompetence is. If I manage to do something well and you don't, I am the competent one, and you are not. :rolleyes:

Haha, if the CPU is working, and there are no memory problems, the hardware is fine. But if you are blaming Windows for your hardware problems (if any, of course), you are even worse than I thought. If indeed hardware problems were the cause, same hardware errors can occur on an Apple machine as well - both use the same hardware. Seeing as how you still use the machine, hardware problems are probably not the cause.

And you say you aren't incompetent because you can't do something, but that's exactly what incompetence is. If I manage to do something well and you don't, I am the competent one, and you are not. :rolleyes:

Whatever makes you happy and feel like a supreme God. All I know is I had all kinds of problems with Sony Vegas, PowerDirector and Premiere Elements and they were not caused by my so-called "incompetence" because I didn't cause the damn things to crash like they did. That is not my fault.

You cannot compare your rig to mine. My Gateway sucks.

What files were you trying to import? Perhaps unsupported drivers were the issue. Going around and saying stuff like "Video editing on Windows sucks" just because you didn't manage brings the worse of me. Do what you want, buy what you want, but don't spread untrue rumors.

Could it be problems with video codecs? Installing strange codecs packs that dont play nice with the video editing programs that are also not properly tested for Windows 7. Did you install any video codecs?

I'd have to say, this thread has continued on a strange course. Apple fans kind of live up to their stereotypes...but so does everyone.

I just want to hear how the switch has gone for the original poster and many like him.

Just kidding...

I went to the Apple store and got one of these

They are awesome!!!!!!

I still have my PC with Windows 7, which I tend to use for gaming and other things but the Mac is strictly for Photoshop and Video. All business.

Macs are expensive but the quality of this machines is amazing.

Photoshop an video? really?

You do know that Photoshop now has a 64bit version on Windows and is only 32bit on OSX right? Also, for video, you are talking about video editing with Final Cut?!?! If that's so, that's a fine choice, but I hope you are not talking about video playback capabilities because OSX sucks bad at this (yes even with VLC, it's just not up to par).

Anyway, I made the switch to Mac a while back and came back to Windows.... but I hope your experience will be better than mine. :)

Thank you for the constructive input. -1, BTW. I personally think Windows software is, for the most part, atrocious.

No, it isn't you have just spend too many years being brainwashed by Apple's stupid ads. None of the software I use has any reliability issues

I'm not bored of OS X's interface. I find it clean and elegant. As a matter of fact, I've tried other themes and always go back to standard Aqua because it's the most beautiful and efficient.

Yep. Grey and ugly sure is FTW! :D

No, it isn't you have just spend too many years being brainwashed by Apple's stupid ads. None of the software I use has any reliability issues

I just don't notice any software problems on any of the software platforms these days. Linux, Windows, OS X....they all run well for me. I think this issue belongs in the past.

Well said.

There was something on the web stating that 96% of the people that have an Apple also have a PC in the home. You might have noticed that most of the Mac users tend to have a laptop. I think most Apple laptop users really like the security of having a PC based desktop at home.

I never said it has magical powers. I said that video editing is simply better on a Mac. I have had very bad experiences with Windows when it comes to video editing and that is that.

What a load of hog. The only difference is if you want to choose an app that OSX/Windows only, otherwise, as with CS4 etc, there's no difference. Keep on drinking thee kool-aid.

I dunno' about the lack of freeware statement, more than 70% of the software on my hard drive is freeware and a good chunk of it is best of breed, or close. I'll put Windows Live Photo Gallery up against iPhoto any day, there is no equivalent to Paint.net on the Mac (it's around $50 for a basic image editor), Windows Live Movie Maker is probably more than enough for most home users (although iMovie is pretty impressive). ImgBurn does everything Disco does, Filezilla is not as nice as Transmit but they do the same work, etc... About the only thing I can do on my Mac that I can't do on Windows is Garageband, nothing on Windows comes close. But everyone has different needs so of course my expereince may be very different than yours.

Ok, better that I say, "lack of included freeware in Windows"

ImgBurn and FileZilla doesn't come with it. Also, since you have a bunch of icons on your Mac versus a Start-menu system in Windows, it's easier for uninformed users to find these things on a Mac. Honestly, I also find that Microsoft's software loads up very slowly and is tedious, where Mac's software just pops up.

Oh, and the fact that most computer companies put a ton of "trial" software on their retail computers, a lot of people think every program will ask them to pay, so they don't even open them up. (I used to sell retail computers, and had this problem ALL the time....)

Much better.

I like the OS X interface, and I like the Windows 7/Vista interface (Y)

Good for you :) I like Chocolate more personally

Ok, better that I say, "lack of included freeware in Windows"

ImgBurn and FileZilla doesn't come with it. Also, since you have a bunch of icons on your Mac versus a Start-menu system in Windows, it's easier for uninformed users to find these things on a Mac. Honestly, I also find that Microsoft's software loads up very slowly and is tedious, where Mac's software just pops up.

Oh, and the fact that most computer companies put a ton of "trial" software on their retail computers, a lot of people think every program will ask them to pay, so they don't even open them up. (I used to sell retail computers, and had this problem ALL the time....)

Again, Why would they want to bundle other people's software with their OS, not everyone uses ImgBurn and FileZilla, and the other crap you can blame OEMs for not the manufacturer of the OS. As for the rest, pure rubbish nobody I know has trouble figuring out the Windows start menu

What he means is that you shouldn't pass along your personal opinions as facts. Just in case you didn't get the message.

Again, Why would they want to bundle other people's software with their OS, not everyone uses ImgBurn and FileZilla, and the other crap you can blame OEMs for not the manufacturer of the OS. As for the rest, pure rubbish nobody I know has trouble figuring out the Windows start menu

Apparently, you don't know the American audience.

I've gotten comments like, "The start menu requires reading instead of a pretty picture" from students in my university. I've gotten, "The Start menu is so complex compared to the dock" at my former retail job. Favorite one, "Wait, the start menu is where all my programs are kept?" - so many things wrong with this statement...

I never suggested they should include ImgBurn or FileZilla. The point is there's no Microsoft version of these programs that are included in Windows. Why not? Creating an FTP and a CD burning program shouldn't be difficult for a company like MS. Having them incorporated into Explorer is fine and dandy, but seriously? Explorer isn't very customizable in these two fashions. I still have yet to successfully use Explorer to burn an VCD, but a free-ware program that I had on my Windows 98 box could do that. It shouldn't be difficult to incorporate that.

By the way, I'm an avid Windows / Linux user, and I hate Mac with a raging fury. The day you see an Apple logo in my possession is same day hell freezes over, but there are many things that Mac does so much better than Windows.

Edited by dj_mixtastic

This is one thing that bothers me about Microsoft, and please don't turn this into a negative argument. Windows Vista came out 2 years ago. Everyone knows it wasn't welcomed by the media and by many people like previous versions were. After two years, MS finally gets the bugs worked out, creates new features and decides to release Windows 7, which is great, but why charge over $200.00 to upgrade Vista when Apple only charges $29.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then they wonder why people "steal" their software. Paying that amount of money for an upgrade ( a huge service pack) is ridiculous.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard Upgrade Cost

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Cost

So you're saying Apple can't design a huge behemoth with an iMac like hinge and try and pass it off as a laptop? I think you're blurring the lines between can't and won't. Apple has a very simple design philosophy: "take a good idea, analyze the problems with it, and try and perfect it." A 20.1" laptop is "take a good idea and make it huge without paying any real attention to how it might be better designed."

You're right. Apple charges $1000. Alienware (Dell) charges $700. Both are ripoffs. Most other laptop manufacturers don't even offer DDR3 1066MHz in a laptop.

It's not just adding 4GB of RAM. It's replacing 2 x 2GB DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM with 2 x 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM memory, not adding another 4GB stick into an extra bay.

Just an UK side of things, upgrading to 8gb here costs ?800 ($1300) so at least it's not the usual doubling of prices for us.

And yes, I KNOW you can buy the ram separately.

sooo after reading all 12 pages (yea no life i know lol) i thought i would give my 2 cents. especially since i just put my laptop up on ebay yesterday. i bought it last year it was custom computer from a company called cyberpower pc. i paid $4500 amazing pc no doubt about it, back then i didn't know OSX was nothing like the crap OS mac had in the 90s. i have been with windows since 3.1 (i was like 8 or 9). in middle school they had macs and when i used them i thought wow windows 98 is so much better. after that i became anti apple and believed the myth of "all the good programs dont work on macs." i bought the iphone in 2007 and well for me when veency came out it changed my life with cell phones. im physically handicapped and for the first time in my life i was using a cell phone 100% independently via realvnc/veency. i was still anti mac and bought this cyberpower pc with windows xp sp3 because vista i really hated. so i kept having freeze ups and started looking for solutions and came across osx86. took me an entire month to finally get it to boot lol...anyway I started using it and I was completely amazed, everything was stable even firefox never locked up. im on the laptop 12 hours some times longer and had 0 problems with osx, i really loved it still do. a few weeks ago some one updated my osx, and I lost EVERYTHING. so one of my friends gave me 7 and i have to say im really disappointed. in 6 months i never had one freeze up, on 7 (64bit) after 2 days started locking up. i know it cant be the hardware its all top of the line. anyways i personally prefer osx and I was on windows for like every version since 3.1 used everything 95 98 ME XP etc. yesterday i put my laptop on ebay and hopefully some one will get me enough money for a MBP. its on neobay if anyone's interested i know shameless plug lol anyway "to each their own" mac or windows completely depends on personal preference! my 2 cents worth =)

Much better.

I like the OS X interface, and I like the Windows 7/Vista interface (Y)

What he means is that you shouldn't pass along your personal opinions as facts. Just in case you didn't get the message.

I read it as his opinion, everyone likes different things seems kind of pointless to always have to say "in my opinion" or "i think"

Whatever makes you happy and feel like a supreme God. All I know is I had all kinds of problems with Sony Vegas, PowerDirector and Premiere Elements and they were not caused by my so-called "incompetence" because I didn't cause the damn things to crash like they did. That is not my fault.

You cannot compare your rig to mine. My Gateway sucks.

How can you say macs are better with video when your pc's hardware is lacking?

its like saying windows vista is crap on a pentium 3 but windows xp is better on a pentium 4 not really a fair assessment :s

have you ever tried those editing programs on a same spec machine equivalent to your mac?

This is one thing that bothers me about Microsoft, and please don't turn this into a negative argument. Windows Vista came out 2 years ago. Everyone knows it wasn't welcomed by the media and by many people like previous versions were. After two years, MS finally gets the bugs worked out, creates new features and decides to release Windows 7, which is great, but why charge over $200.00 to upgrade Vista when Apple only charges $29.00!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then they wonder why people "steal" their software. Paying that amount of money for an upgrade ( a huge service pack) is ridiculous.

Mac OSX Snow Leopard Upgrade Cost

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade Cost

Stop with that, as an iMac owner I would have been furious paying any more for Snow Leopard, almost all the improvements were under the hood and have yet to be truly exploited. Windows 7 is pretty far from the service pack that Snow Leopard is.

It's amazing how many people have come in here to argue about this...LOL

It's amazing you are acting like that wasn't the whole intent of this thread?