What exactly makes Macs so supposedly brilliant at media editing?

Here's something to amuse you:

I remember seeing this video a while ago and saying "maybe apple AND microsoft copied my wall calendar, because hell, my colour scheme looks like that"

This is even more amusing:

LOL...LOL...LOL

Jesus! - What is wrong with Steve Jobs? He looks so skinny! - Is he sick or is that when he had the liver problems?

LOL...LOL...LOL

Jesus! - What is wrong with Steve Jobs? He looks so skinny! - Is he sick or is that when he had the liver problems?

He had just come back from his liver issues.

What's the best MIDI support Windows has got? DirectMusic? That was designed for games and deprecated for 64-bit. Does Windows even support soft synths at the driver level on 64-bit? Does it have anything like Core MIDI? Everyone requires purchasing more third party software.

I heard Steve Jobs tried to take Superdrol for 6 months which caused his liver to fail. He didnt realize you need to actually eat and workout to make gains

I'm pretty sure you're not really trying to offend anyone, but do you make jokes about cancer survivors often?

+10000

i don't see much but eye candy with a mac. nothing justifies the price people pay.

OS X on the environment it's meant to run on (not a Hackintosh) justifies the price for me. Not to mention I just like the hardware of my MacBook Pro more than most laptop hardware out there. Personal preference for which I'm willing to pay the so-called "Apple tax."

I'm pretty sure you're not really trying to offend anyone, but do you make jokes about cancer survivors often?

OS X on the environment it's meant to run on (not a Hackintosh) justifies the price for me. Not to mention I just like the hardware of my MacBook Pro more than most laptop hardware out there. Personal preference for which I'm willing to pay the so-called "Apple tax."

I don't think there is much of difference between MAC or PC hardware. They all almost use the same parts from same manufacturers. CPUs, graphics adapters, sound card, LCDs, hard drives, RAM modules...

I usually prefer lenovo over apple. They are extremely well built and sturdy. They are not bulky as the other laptops on the market. And, they don't stand out at a starbucks cafe. I currently own a thinkpad T400, thinkpad X200T tablet, and a 13" macbook pro. Soon, I will be getting a thinkpad T400S as soon as the new CPUs becomes available.

A Mac isn't better at editing media but there are certain features within OS X that make your workflow a lot easier.

Dock, Expose, Spaces, Quick Look, Coverflow, and Time Machine.

Yep. Generic PC hardware + TPM + a fancy but cheap case sure gives you a real hardware boost there. How much faster does the fancy case actually make the mac run, I have always wondered?

OK, if you use an Apple machine you will know that the tools are seperate from the main window, also there is only 1 window for the image rather than the 2 that windows has, also the ability to drag items from 1 application to another quite easily.

There is generally more room on the screen because of some of this.

Its hard to explain exactly and there is more too it but you would have to try both you come to the conclusion!

Certain media apps that a Mac only like logic!

Really in the end its up to the user!

Edited by offroadaaron

Control and Compatibly of OS--software-hardware.

Apple doesn't have to support every hardware out-there, only the hardware in Macs and it has full control over software drivers and services. That makes the Macs better that any PC which has hundred-thousand applications, 99.9% just crap. Each Mac application in tailored for OSX and the hardware.

Apple doesn't have to support every hardware out-there, only the hardware in Macs and it has full control over software drivers and services. That makes the Macs better that any PC which has hundred-thousand applications, 99.9% just crap. Each Mac application in tailored for OSX and the hardware.

Hurp Durp.

over 90% of statistics are made up on the spot

but yeah don't quit your day job :)

I used to use a pc but have recently converted to Mac for Logic (music producing software)

The software just works brilliantly and never crashes and runs very smoothly compared to similiar software on PC, simply because apple know what hardware it's being run on, unlike windows and its software which has to support A LOT more hardware and different setups and there-fore harve a much tougher job getting everything right.

PC's are good because there cheap and do most things people want, but if you are prepared to pay the rip-off prices I can honestly say Mac's do make Media work much more enjoyable.

Please don't flame others unless you have honestly tried both platforms.

Please don't flame others unless you have honestly tried both platforms.

Agree on that 100%. People it's all about preference. Apple computers have always been expensive and they are not going down in price any time soon. They will always be expensive. If you want to experience the Apple world, you have to pay the price. I got a Mac because I always wanted one. Did it hurt my pocket? Yes it did. I am still having nightmares about it?, Yes, but hey, I wanted one and so far, I am quite happy with it. It's not idiot-proof like Windows (no offense to anyone out there), but it's not hard to learn either.

Do I think their prices are ridiculous for the hardware you get? Yes, but there is nothing I or anyone can do about that. Apple has a monopoly on their hardware and OS and we just have to deal with it. There is no need to bash at anyone or insult anyone just because they went to a Mac from a PC. It's their choice. Their money. Their problem.

Edited by Scorbing

Yep. Generic PC hardware + TPM + a fancy but cheap case sure gives you a real hardware boost there. How much faster does the fancy case actually make the mac run, I have always wondered?

OS X does not use the TPM, no matter how much you keep repeating it. In fact, Windows uses it more. Maybe you're confusing it with EFI, which is the only thing that makes a Mac architecturally different from the average PC.

The last time I said something similar to your post, I got bashed, insulted and almost humiliated! - LOL

I laugh about it because the people that did it are very immature in my book but it is true. It happened.

I tell you what I do like about the iMovie application on the Mac. Its ability to stabilize shaky video. I wish Windows Movie Maker could do that.

I am a Designer by career. I mainly use Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver / GoLive, Flash, and as such also do some video editing.

I graduated from Parsons School of Design in 1996 with a BFA in Illustration. I was the last class to not have computers be mandatory no matter what your major. So we had a computer lab, it had Macs, and I only took one class in Photoshop. Shortly after graduating, I realized I was screwed not knowing computer design, so I went out and purchased my first computer since my Comoddore 64. What did I get? A Mac of course. It is what I assosciated with design thanks to school and also thanks to my few friends who did study computer design and who worked at firms in NY, they used Macs.

Once I finally was able to get a job, I used Macs again. I kept using Macs for the next 7-8 years at the jobs I had.

I then got into the pharma design world here in NJ as it is a big business and a pretty decent living, and guess what, they were all Windows based more or less.

So I was then forced to do design on Windows, most places even gave me the option to still design on my mac laptop if I wanted to, but I was already familiar with Windows thanks to building my Gaming PC, so I am about to tell you the difference between designing on a Windows Computer And Designing on an Apple Computer...

The CTRL button is on the far left for windows, the CTRL-COMMAND button is the 3rd button in from the left on a Mac.

There, that is the difference of doing design and editing on Windows and Mac based comps. I think I am pretty qualified to share that all.

Sure, macs are a bit easier to use overall, most notably when you connect a device, especially back in the day macs did handle that much, much better so perhaps that is the main reason professionals in the undustry like it better, but these days, the only difference is the key you press for Shortcuts, and in fact Photoshop on my Windows comp FLIES. It is much faster than it is on OS X.

It?s all about the software and what you like and need for whatever reason. For the most part, your hardware works or it does not, and with hardware you usually get what you pay for on a PC or MAC. Some people prefer the built in apps on MAC, and some people prefer PC apps. You can do almost anything on one as you can on the other in some form. I don?t see one as better than the other, just different.